Big D In Both Little Girls- What Can I Do?

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

We recently adopted 2 little girlie black greyhounds, and cannot seem to firm up their poo.

They were having Missing Link on their breakfast with a little wet food, and I stopped that, but their poo is still like 'pudding piles' :sick

I have tried pumpkin - one eats it, the other does not. I have tried yogurt and the one who eats yogurt turns her nose up at it. (The one pup who eats the pumpkin and yogurt, will eat anything.)

I am not sure who has the worst case of D, but DH says there are no firm poops when he picks up poo.

Is there anything else I can try food-wise before making a trip to the vet?

Both girls are eating, drinking, and playing. Both are very insecure, and new to us. (Less than 3 months.) I know they are stressed, and we are working to help them relax and blossom into happy pets.

Thanks

as long as parasites aren't the problem I have found Iams to be the only food to work for dogs with tummy troubles. One of ours now can only eat Iams and I tried to upgrade several times only to go back to Iams. You might try adding some to whatever you are feeding to see if that helps in a few days.

Have you had a fecal sample run at the vets? It needs to be as fresh as possible - less time = more accurate results. Do not let it freeze or sit in the sun. If you have not brought them to your own vet you should anyway. It's always good to have a new dog looked at (if you are going to get insurance on them get that before you go because there is a 30 day waiting period)but sometime they will prescribe meds if it is just a de-wormer. Good luck.

Guest 4dogscrazy

My boy had loose poop for over a year. We finally tried Taste of the Wild Pacific stream and it firmed him right up. Sometimes adding sweet potato instead of pumpkin can work, as can metamucil. Switching food is probably your best bet though.

Me too, TOTW Pacific Stream works for all four of my dogs. Shiny coats too! Ruling out all medical first of course.

Guest GryffinSong

Purina One also has a rep for firming things up. It's all that worked for Gryffin. My current grey does well on the Taste of the Wild, as others have mentioned.

Guest Shermanator

Both pups were seen by our super savvy greyhound vet, and given clean bills of health. :) Travel had some massive big D while in foster care, which was attributed to stress. They are both stressed little girls.

So, I am going to try Costco's grain free food- anyone have success with it?

ask your vet for some flagyl, call and explain the situation.

have you tried over cooked white rice(1 cup rice cooked w/ 2.5 cups water) w/ 25% boiled ground beef or turkey and nothing else? it takes a couple of days for their tummies to settle down and often the plain white rice will do the trick. if it doesn't i ask for flagyl. once it's cleared up you can then add very small ammounts of kibble to the rice. it might take up to 2 weeks to clear things up. i don't start suppliments until the pup is really firm for a while. also, their nerves can be the cause of the runs.

Both pups were seen by our super savvy greyhound vet, and given clean bills of health. :) Travel had some massive big D while in foster care, which was attributed to stress. They are both stressed little girls.

So, I am going to try Costco's grain free food- anyone have success with it?

Switching to the Costco Kirkland brand was the only thing that firmed up Riley's pudding poop. Turns out that he cannot tolerate corn or wheat. Since the Kirkland is corn and wheat and filler free that did the trick. I even have to be careful about his treats. One treat that has corn or wheat is fine, but more then one and the gas comes back and the pudding turns to pudding again. Costco sell a peanut butter flavored cookie at Christmas time that is c/w free.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest NJgrey

Try any of the Natural Balance limited ingredient foods.

We also used something called FortiFlora on ours when she was having consistently yucky poops. It's made by Purina, it's just a packet of pro-biotics. Sprinkle on top of the food. Most dogs love the taste of the stuff, and it helped firm her up.

Guest bluefawn

We recently adopted 2 little girlie black greyhounds, and cannot seem to firm up their poo.

They were having Missing Link on their breakfast with a little wet food, and I stopped that, but their poo is still like 'pudding piles' :sick

I have tried pumpkin - one eats it, the other does not. I have tried yogurt and the one who eats yogurt turns her nose up at it. (The one pup who eats the pumpkin and yogurt, will eat anything.)

I am not sure who has the worst case of D, but DH says there are no firm poops when he picks up poo.

Is there anything else I can try food-wise before making a trip to the vet?

Both girls are eating, drinking, and playing. Both are very insecure, and new to us. (Less than 3 months.) I know they are stressed, and we are working to help them relax and blossom into happy pets.

Thanks

My 2 whippet puppies had bouts of the D, and I know we always used to feed just plain rice for a day or two if any of the track hounds came in with it. I don't have time to be cooking rice, storing it, etc. So I have just been putting a couple of tsps or a Tbsp - just a ballpark - of Gerber (or any kind will be fine) Baby Rice Cereal on their kibble, add a good splash of hot water, stir, and their poops have been nice and firm ever since. I also don't give them a lot of "treats", because it just gets their tummies all out of whack again. Hope this helps!

Guest mcsheltie

Everyone will tell you about a different food that worked for their dog. But changing food with newly adopted Greyhounds does as much to fuel on going diarrhea as anything else.

They were fed one thing at the track. They are changed cold turkey to something else when they go to a group. They may have another food change if they go into foster care. Then they often switch to something else in their new home. All of the food changes added to their stress results in irritated inflamed intestines. So often an opportunistic bacterial overgrowth can be the problem.

Unfortunately worms, giardia or coccidia can still be present with a clean fecal. Sometimes it takes several before they are seen.

As far as yogurt goes, you are better off buying probiotics. Even the best of yogurt has only a small fraction of microorganisms that probiotics have. Some yogurt has hardly any and you have no idea which is which. Some dogs can't tolerate dairy, some as you know won't eat it.

With all that said, after reading thread after thread about food Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream seems to get the highest marks on this list.