Heartworm Preventative

NeylasMom

Has anyone come across information independent of the companies that make Ivermectin products on the minimum dosage needed to be effective?

Neyla is right on the cusp of the 2 tablets if you go by the minimum the manufacturer recommends (according to them she needs 152 mcg - the amount in the 25-50 lb dog dose is 136 mcg, while the dose in the next size up (51-100) is 272 mcg).

In general, I try to minimize my dogs' exposure to chemicals, but I'm trying to be especially conscientious about Neyla given her osteo dx. Given that my guess is that the company is generous in what it states the minimum dosage as, I am leaning toward giving her the 21-50 lb tablet, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any additional info first. I couldn't find anything online beyond the manufacturer's rec.

The risk for HG is quite low here anyway and we're about to hit evening temps that will totally prevent the spread of it to boot, but I feel like I should dose her once or twice more before the end of the year.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

IIRC that *is* the minimum effective dose for dogs of her weight. The reason they lump them into categories is that the dose is infinitesimal -- even at the 272 mcg for your dog's size.

I'd give her the dose for her weight. It's not going to have any impact on her osteo, and it would sure be a low blow if she got heartworm or another infestation at the same time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You might want to think about contacting Dr. Suzanne Stack. There was some "discussion" in our area recently about the correct dose of Ivomec for controlling/preventing heartworm versus a common dosing practice at some tracks for controlling other parasites. The difference is huge.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

You might want to think about contacting Dr. Suzanne Stack. There was some "discussion" in our area recently about the correct dose of Ivomec for controlling/preventing heartworm versus a common dosing practice at some tracks for controlling other parasites. The difference is huge.

Dr. Stack and my vet both said a dog (unless it is a collie or other ivermectin sensitive breed) could eat boxes and boxes of heartgard with no il effects. The dose is teeny. I'd certainly go with the bigger dose.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks, I will do that.

2.72 mcg/lb

Thanks. That's the dosage the manufacturer lists as the minimum and what I used to calculate Neyla's dosage above.

Dr. Stack and my vet both said a dog (unless it is a collie or other ivermectin sensitive breed) could eat boxes and boxes of heartgard with no il effects. The dose is teeny. I'd certainly go with the bigger dose.

That may be true of most dogs, but we don't necessarily know the effects of using these chemicals over a lifetime (I did look for studies, there are none that I could find) and we don't know how these chemicals might affect a dog with a compromised immune system. Even disregarding that thought, why would I give her nearly double the dosage she needs? Worst case scenario, I will cut the tablets so that I'm giving her a more appropriate dose for her weight. Even if you want to look at it from a more practical standpoint because you don't have the same concerns I do, it's a waste of money.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That may be true of most dogs, but we don't necessarily know the effects of using these chemicals over a lifetime (I did look for studies, there are none that I could find) and we don't know how these chemicals might affect a dog with a compromised immune system. Even disregarding that thought, why would I give her nearly double the dosage she needs? Worst case scenario, I will cut the tablets so that I'm giving her a more appropriate dose for her weight. Even if you want to look at it from a more practical standpoint because you don't have the same concerns I do, it's a waste of money.

I agree! I want the most result from the smallest "bang" for my buck.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead