Need Advice And Spanish Translation

While I was at work last night Jesus, my neighbor across the alley came looking for me. He told my next door neighbors he needed my help understanding about his dog coming up HW +. He said the vet wants $1,300 for treatment and he thinks that is too much -- and so do I. My vet said $500-$700 so I could send Jesus there. BUT BUT BUT Homer is an outside dog and runs the fence anytime a car drives down the alley. I do not think Jesus will keep him crated and leash walk him so he'd probably keel over if they did the treaments and he was tossed back in the yard. Am I right?

Along those lines what is the protocal for just using Heartgard as is done in older or compromised dogs? Is it a higher dose than normal?

Homer, Jesus and I thank you in advance.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam as I understand it the heartgaurd protocol is to give two in the beginning and then just stay on the monthly dosage. :dunno If he is just going to put him back in the yard than I wouldn't do the shots at all. If he went to the vet I think he cares somewhat about the dog so is he willing to do the monthly? Can he afford the monthly heartguard?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Yes, I think from the care he puts into his house and his vehicles I think he can afford the monthy treatment. And he really seems like a good guy who does somewhat care about Homer, but just thinks dogs don't belong in the house (tho as Homer has gotten older they do let him in the house or mud room when it gets really cold). I think he might be scared enough to stick with giving him the dose every month.

I work at a vet clinic & one of our clients has a dog that came up hw+ several years ago. She's a real penny pincher....had never had him on HW prevention

AT ALL, EVER. She refused tx, but did agree to finally put him on Heartguard & KEEP him on it. Theory is the Heartguard will kill all heartworm babies, the adults will eventually die on their own. FWIW....that dog is still alive & seems to be doing fine.

I also think $1300 is way too much for heartworm treatment. I'd like to see that estimate to see exactly what's on it.

Could it be pumped up with bloodwork, vaccines, overnight stay, etc. etc?

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

My memory is not my best feature unsure.gif but I thought a vet or two have told us that giving Heartgard to a dog that already has heartworm can be fatal. So they insist on testing for HW first. Is that thinking outdated or am I just mis-remembering?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

That $1300 quote is way too high! Hearts cost us $425.00. The real problem here that I see is that the dog will be outside and running the fence line. The goal during heart worm treatment is to keep the heart from being taxed because as the worms die, they break into little pieces basically and become just like blood clots. You raise the heart rate and the chances pieces breaking off and traveling through the blood stream increase greatly, thus the suggestion by most vets that dogs during heart worm treatment are to be kept calm and quiet.

When going the Heart Guard route, it takes so much longer for the worms to die than it would going the regular treatment route. Personally I would rather go the regular treatment route and keep a dog quiet for 4 to 6 weeks than go the Heart Guard route and keep the dog calm for months.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When going the Heart Guard route, it takes so much longer for the worms to die than it would going the regular treatment route. Personally I would rather go the regular treatment route and keep a dog quiet for 4 to 6 weeks than go the Heart Guard route and keep the dog calm for months.

Yes, I would too but don't think that is going to happen in Homer's case. He is an outside dog owned by very nice people of questionable immigration staus. I went this afternoon and talked to the wife (with the first or second grader as a sort of interpreter) and when I said "must keep inside" she shook her head no. The son took the note I wrote and I'll bet he has it translated by now via his friends. I just would feel really bad if I told him to go to my vet for the $600 zap then Homer dropped dead chasing the trash truck. Poodle has to go in for a blood draw Friday and I'll ask Dr. Keith then.

I guess I was just trying to get an idea on protocol for Heartgard as in my feeble mind that might be the best choice ... I have never heard that you have to keep the dog on restricted status for months using Heartgard. If the just using Heartgard protocol involves keeping him calm for months than he is just out of luck as they won't do that.

I can't say for sure you'd have to keep a pup calm for months, but it seems logical to me the risk either way is there. You might do some research on going the Heart Guard route. It's relatively new I think. I know back when Heart was diagnosed the thinking was never give Heart Guard to a heart worm positive dog.:dunno

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

See here, Pam: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_heartworm_treatment.html . The Ivermectin-only option has its own paragraph if you scroll on down. In their situation, that really sounds like it might be the best choice.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Years ago I took in a pit who was HW +

She stayed in a shelter for the required 7 days then was released to me. Took her to my vet and they used the Ivomec treatment. I do not recall the protocol exactly but I know it was more often and more quantity wise then normal dosage.

That dang little pitty girl never slowed down for one moment. No I didn't crate her, no I didn't leash walk her. She was basically balls to the wall the whole time and survived the treatment.

What does that exactly mean? maybe she was lucky but it might give your neighbors some hope for their dog.

Some treatment is better then no treatment IMHO. To me it's worth a try.

If the dog drops dead because of too much activity well it would drop dead from HW at some point in time anyway.

Sorry if that sounds heartless but it's the truth. :blush

Thanks Heather.

I was just thinking the risk of dropping dead from running might be less with a higher dose of Ivermectin vs. the Immiticide (sp?) treatment as most dogs can tolerate high doses of Ivermectin with no problems. What you did for your pittie girl is what I'm thinking Jesus might want to do, but I can't find details and dosage. Like I said, I'll ask my vet tomorrow.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I agree Pam, the dosage of Ivermectin vs Immitcide, I think you have a better (safer) chance with the Ivomec.

I wish I could recall the treatment protocol. I also picked up a whippet from the local shelter here years ago and they also treated with Ivomec.

Hopefully your vet has the answers

Jesus came by last night. He said that the other vet told him it was very early on HW.

This morning Dr. Keith said that if it is early on he would not have a problem treating Homer with Immiticide even though he wouldn't be crated and could do it for $300 if needed. Will advise what Jesus and Dr. Keith decide to do.