Nail Torn Off -- Bare Quick Exposed :(

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I should know what to do about this :( I'm supposed to be an experienced owner, after all... I have had broken nails, cracked nails, punctures, cuts, skin tears, squished tails, happy tails etc. But I just looked at Bravo's foot because he was 'over-grooming' and the outside nail on the right rear is just not there any more. I don't even know how or when he did it, but it must have been yesterday during one of his and Callan's short but intense races around and through the back yard.... The quick was bloodly looking but not bleeding... Cleaned it and the area well with a Betadine wash and I'm thinking I either need to keep a sock on that foot or bandage it.

I was thinking of EMT gel on it but not sure how that would work or hold up on the quick of a nail... I feel I should be protecting the area to minimize the pain and chance of infection and that the nail itself will just have to grow back, and of course I'll keep an eye for any infection.

What are your experiences? I'd appreciate some feedback as this (variation on a nail injury) particular thing is new to me after 14 years. Would putting EMT gel on after sterilized and dried hurt it more ? be a waste of time? would padding the whole thing work better.... I broke my dog :(

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Ouch!

Happened to Misty several times. The sock seemed to hurt it probably because of touching it. If you leave it exposed, it should dry out and feel better.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Don't worry - he'll live :) You didn't break your dog! :grouphug

It's not bleeding, so that's good news. This happened to Merlin a couple of years ago. I made sure to keep it VERY clean (to prevent infection), and when we went out for walks I would clean it, wrap it with gauze, and put a booty on it. This is what I used - Pawz disposable booties - the purple ones are the right size for greys.

Now I am obsessed with keeping his nails very short by trimming often. It's not fail-safe, but it can definitely help :)

Good luck!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest meakah

I agree with the others. As long as it is kept clean it will heal up in no time. If you think there is a risk of more injury during walks and such, then a bootie or some vet wrap might be a good idea during the walks. Otherwise, it should dry up and the nail will start to grow down over it before you know it.

Gee just did this. Putting anything on it caused her more pain than just leaving it so I left it bare, started her on antibiotics and something for pain for a few days and she's fine now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

sadly we are experienced with this. Norm has lost 6? 8? since he's been with us. Unfortunately they never come completely off resulting in a trip to the vet. And of course Norm has only managed to do this ONCE during normal business hours so the rest of the time has been a trip to the ER vet.

Anyway, if its not bleeding and already clean, just let it be. It WILL heal. Extra mooshies always help speed it up though!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Energy11

We've had this happen a few times. OUCH is right!

Here is a piece from my first aid presentation from Mt. Hounds. Hope it helps!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

lottie did this tuesday night. her nail was broken down near the base, and bleeding. I coated liberally with triple anitbiotic oint, wrapped with gauze and then vet wrap. I briefly considered a trip to the vet, but did not take her to the E-Vet cause it wasn't really an emergency, and still not quite over bring a dog over there but not home :(

Unwrapped it the next day and she, um, took care of the offending nail herself. It is already healing

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry