Panting All The Time

Guest katieandpadfoot

Guest katieandpadfoot

I'm not sure what to think...but my girl Katie is panting almost all the time. When she is not actually panting her breathing is fast. I'm wondering if it's just the weather taking its toll on her because it is so humid here, or is it something else. She is drinking just fine...acting a little weird with her food...but she gets tired of her food once in awhile so I'm gonna try and change it up. Other than that she is acting pretty normal...walking like a crazy thing..and sometimes pulling me along. Should I be concerned or am I just being paranoid.

Guest greytloves

Panting can mean so many things from just the heat to pain to something heart and lung related, even just a change in her environment that is making her unsettled could cause it. If you cool her off for a period of time (a few hours) and she still pants, I would get her to the vet as soon as possible.

Age and if she is outside in this heat too much could be the two easiest answers. However, it could be something significant if those are not factors.

I agree, a vet visit is in order because it can be so many things.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hi there. Not sure how old Katie is but my almost 11-1/2 yr old, Holly, has had "panting" issues for several yrs. Blood work, annual wellness, xrays, etc - all okay. I suspect some LP, pulmonary, or respiratory issue(s). It is unlikely I would subject her to any surgery (other than emergency) at this point, so I turn on the A/C for her. Hot, humid weather is a struggle. Walks are very short and only in cool temps. So far have been able to manage any obvious discomfort she experiences. Let us know how it goes for Katie.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest katieandpadfoot

Going to the vet tomorrow....they will take a look and see what they find. I did turn our AC back a little and she seems a little better....plus I killed the fly that was pissing her off. While she is sleeping though her breathing is better than it has been. Just want my girl to be well!!!

My Elsie is 11.5. I adopted her just shy of her 10th birthday. She is a MAJOR panter. I have 5 hounds and I have never heard anything like this. She looks like she is going to have a stroke sometimes. I have had her checked out and she just pants... a lot.

Hope yours is just a panter too! And nothing else is going on.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytloves

See? It may just be heat. Does she have a thick coat? My Lucy girl has such a thick coat she has waves in the back. Little wooly mammoth has hair everywhere. She gets hot very, very easily. Is she overweight? Sometimes the overweight greys pant more with heat. I knew of one grey that was really, really overweight and once we convinced the owners to cut back on the food her panting went away.

Will be checking for updates!