Got Such A Fright At Playgroup Today

Guest Pat2003

We used to have a fun run at the local equestrian center once a week. Greyhounds only and all dogs muzzled. We ran 4-5 dogs at a time. They usually ran for just a few minutes, them milled around. They came out of the arena and a new group ran, etc. until all dogs had a turn. Then we started over again. After 3-4 runs most of the dogs were finished and ready to go home. It was fun to watch the other dogs run and socialize while waiting our turn.

We found that some dogs run well together and others didn't so we tried to make the groups as compatible as possible.

We usually had about 10 dogs, but the number varied sometimes as low as 4 and as high as 20. There were no reservations and everyone got to run.

We found that 2-3 dogs didn't run as well as 4-5 dogs. Actually, I think the best number is 5. The owners were in the arena with their dogs that were running.

We had few pack attacks, but when they happened they happened fast with little warning. With 5 dogs and 5 owners, order was quickly restored.

Unfortunately, a new group took over the center and because of insurance they stopped the runs. Our Diva was heart broken because she lived for Sunday evenings and the fun run.

The picture posted was lovely, but I would never let that many greys run together.

I forgot to add that many of us had those small duck callers in our pockets and if any dog's body language was showing challenging behavior a couple toots on the caller usually distracted that dog and the owner would call that dog to them. It is important for the people in the arena to really watch the dogs and not get caught up in socializing.

Edited by Pat2003

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Kerry pack attacks are scary. People don't know just how scary until they actually witness one. Suddenly someone's sweet little diva is a snarling mass of teeth and legs. Good for you for insisting on the muzzles.

We also have a large group of hounds and have had to limit the number of hounds on the field. We don't limit the # of hounds allowed at a play group but we have several sign up sheets. We have an aggressive runner group( mostly very young competitive hounds), less aggressive(those that have begun to mellow a bit) Seniors(older hounds or those that are not big runners) and the Hahas( injured or just want to smell the flowers and roll in the grass). We then call out names and only those called are allowed on the field unleashed. They play for 10 minutes or so, we leash them up and call for another group. This continues until everyone has had a chance to run. We then go through the groups again. Everyone has a chance to run at least twice. Everyone is responsible for their own hound. By the end of the play group the group has begun to thin out and the hounds are wore out so you can let larger groups loose. People socializing is fine but you better be watching your hound. If an incident such as you described occurs you need to take charge of your own hound not someone else.

I hope Sagan recovers both physically and emotionally. :grouphug

Exactly, precisely right. My heart is pounding thinking about it-- been there :( I know of a dog who was almost killed by packing with all muzzles in place. I would give Sagan a short break from playgroup.. and then seriously I would think of tiny groups of gentle hounds for him for a while -- 3-4 maybe. I would have been beyond angry at owners who just stood and watched. The rules need to include staying focused on your hound... people can socialize while their dogs are taking a break and are leashed.

Thank God you insisted on muzzles and sending hugs and white light to Sagan. Poor guy, what a trauma.. (hugs to you too!!!)

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I'm sorry about the post above, I was going to delete it and write something else after I realized how many had responded :rolleyes: but I got so engrossed in reading that my "edit time" elapsed. What I wanted to say INSTEAD was:

There's a lot of really good advice here.. I should probably copy and save this whole thread because eventually someone else will need the information. Big xxx to Sagan.

My heart was in my throat when I was reading your post Kerry. We had a playgroup many years ago that used to meet at one of the "puppy fields" up at Lincoln. It was well organized with muzzles, water buckets, people spaced out around the field and only max 5 hounds at a time running. After a while the original organizers left; some people tried to keep it up for a while but they had two serious injuries caused by packing and we never went back. Then the track closed the field to playgroups and as far as I know, no one in RI has started one since then.

I wanted to support the idea that ANY thing can cause packing on. My little staghound was bitten when he was 4 months old and was extremely fearful of other dogs outside the family after that; then attacks by neighborhood dogs when we were walking set him back still more, even though no injuries happened. Bravo has done a huge lot for him since he came last December because Bravo will play chase, and put his heart in it -- but he also is the most grounded greyhound I've ever known and if Callan squeeks -- Bravo stops, and they groom each other and take a break together. Callan couldn't handle a play group.. and well, since he's fuzzy, he probably shouldn't go to one anyway... but I can see a greyhound with his personality being a complete aggression magnet at a playgroup, even with normally non-aggressive dogs.

Guest BorzoiMom

One thing I do at the park when dogs get aggressive and people mill around in a paralyzed panic is I use my leash handle to make a slip lead and slip it over the attacker (or whichever dog is available) and pull them out of the brawl. Hands are away from the teeth that way. My leashes are always folded and passed through my belt - always handy. Too many people hang their leash at the gate. The dog park I go to is at least an acre if not 2, I know I can't run to the gate and back that fast!

Guest Happytails

Kerry, So sorry what happened to Sagan. Bunny our senior can be a little intimitaded at times by bigger more agressive dogs, so we tend to shadow her to make sure no one gangs up on her, most of the time its not needed but its as much for our comfort as hers. But she is more of the "haha group" and really isn't into running unlike Walli and Sully.

We have a group here, too, and they are ALWAYS muzzled. Luckily, we don't normally have any trouble-makers and can run quite a large group with no worries. But when the trouble-makers attend, we pay a lot more attention. Summer has only owned me :rolleyes: since the beginning of May but in that time, we've not had to restrict the numbers or rotate the dogs. But I was told that we'd probably do it by color. You know, all the fawns at one time, then all the brindles... that kind of thing.

Didsomeonesaybunny.jpg

Is this the south simcoe greyhound group? Also when was this picture taken?

The picture below was taken at the playgroup we attend. There are 13 dogs in the picture and I think on the day there were roughly 20 total.

DSC_0060.jpg

Personally I don't have a problem with this number of dogs running but I understand the views of those who would feel uncomfortable by this number. The majority of the members in "glohw" are good at keeping an eye on their dogs and pack running is permitted for a short period and allowed to fizzle out otherwise broken up, so no one get too riled up. Also muzzles are mandatory and most of the owners are very good at giving their dogs some "timeout" if they are getting out of control.

I would love to say that everyone in the group is like that, But like any other group we have the odd member/s who "know better" or won't take control of their hound :rolleyes:

Yes, that's some of the members of the SSG. I took the picture some time this year but I don't have the exact date handy. I believe like you, if the people are all responsible and attentive and handle things correctly, the larger number is not a problem. The very second that something starts to look or feel fishy, someone (if not everyone) is on it. If everyone stood around yakking and ignoring them all, that would be a very bad thing and I wouldn't go. As it is, I find the SSG is beautifully run and well monitored. Your group looks like they're having a great time, too! GO GREYHOUNDS! I will NEVER forget the first time the group ran towards me and then split and went past... the look on their faces, the flow of their bodies, the literal shaking of the earth... it was glorious!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Happytails

Yes, that's some of the members of the SSG. I took the picture some time this year but I don't have the exact date handy. I believe like you, if the people are all responsible and attentive and handle things correctly, the larger number is not a problem. The very second that something starts to look or feel fishy, someone (if not everyone) is on it. If everyone stood around yakking and ignoring them all, that would be a very bad thing and I wouldn't go. As it is, I find the SSG is beautifully run and well monitored. Your group looks like they're having a great time, too! GO GREYHOUNDS! I will NEVER forget the first time the group ran towards me and then split and went past... the look on their faces, the flow of their bodies, the literal shaking of the earth... it was glorious!

I thought it was! The reason being that I think Walli is in that picture if it was taken over the canada day long weekend. She and Sully were staying up at campgreyhound and Karen said they take the dogs to to the greyhound playgroup and asked if we were ok with Walli and Sully going.

Whilst it is glorious to see them run, with it comes risk that one mis placed air snap could lead to a brawl and that should always be remembered, but then again that can happen as much when they are standing around!

Guest arlosmom

Our play group runs for about 2 hours. Folks do not always come at the same time. They come and go. We divide our hounds into groups. Strong, average, and those that are timid or gimpy or older. We never have more than 8 and I prefer 6 at a time. We let each group run for about 10 minutes and then we switch. All dogs not running are on lead. Everyone wears muzzles. Occassionally, if we have a large group of strong or aggressive dogs we make two groups and seperate ones that have issues with each other. By making everyone sign in sign a release form and grouping the dogs we have had very safe playdays for a long time now. We did learn all this the hard way from times when bad things happened. Greybookends and I are in the same group and learning the hard way is tough but we have been very safe since.

Edited by arlosmom