Flea! (Singular)

I just found my first flea on Chance!!! flea.gif YUUUUCCKKKK!!!

He's been on frontline since I've gotten him, and there hasn't been any other dog in my house since last year. He does go to the dogpark and dog beach...regular walks.

I'm afraid I know the answer....but if you find one, does that mean there are more?!?! unsure.gif

What do I do from here?? See if I find more then start bathing/bombing house, etc?

Only plus is that he's white.... w/ a very bare belly and legs...semi-hairy butt lol.gif

If he goes lots of places, he could easily pick up one or two. Frontline won't kill them all instantly. So, yeah, I'd keep an eye out for more (check the hair at the base of his tail & armpits for fleas/flea dirt) and if you start seeing them, time to wash, bomb, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Oh yes! Where there's one flea, there are many many more :-(

My good greyhound friend, who has two, had NO fleas, UNTIL her brother in law came with his two dogs. She infested with them now!

I'd at least mist your dogs and their bedding well, with Adams Flea and Tick Mist. Couldn't hurt!

Good Luck!

Guest NJgrey

I second what Energy11 said.

Frontline is once a month. I would wait until it's been 3 weeks to a month since the last Frontline application, then do a good mist with Adams Flea and Tick mist. On the dog and bedding. Or at least wash the bedding. Wait another 2 weeks before going back to Frontline.

I like the Adams because it kills whatever is one them right on the spot. Frontline seems good long term in preventing an infestation, but if he's got one or two, I like the mist for instant action.

Mmm.. I don't know.. I think just b/c you have one, doesn't mean there will be more. I've found 2, totally random, at different times on both Roscoe and Sage. I've scoured the house and their fur for more, I couldn't find any. I cleaned all bedding in hot water, vacuumed and sprayed dogs and bedding with Adam's Flea and Tick Mist. Haven't noticed any more, and this was a good couple months ago.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Energy11

I second what Energy11 said.

Frontline is once a month. I would wait until it's been 3 weeks to a month since the last Frontline application, then do a good mist with Adams Flea and Tick mist. On the dog and bedding. Or at least wash the bedding. Wait another 2 weeks before going back to Frontline.

I like the Adams because it kills whatever is one them right on the spot. Frontline seems good long term in preventing an infestation, but if he's got one or two, I like the mist for instant action.

EXACTLY!! I don't have to use Frontline Plus, but I did both this and the Adams in Florida. NO FLEAS!

FLEAS BITE!! :-(

Sorry ... couldn't resist! But, seriously, you DO need to nip them in the bud, or you WILL have an infestation! AND THAT DOES BITE!

Guest sheila

I also don't think just because you have seen one there are 'many many more'. He could have simply picked up a hitchhiker on his last outing. I would take him outside and give him a good brushing and if you don't come across a bunch more than you are safe.

I agree with Sheila......I use Frontline....have ocassionally found one or two, usually they're staggering around in the process of going to meet their maker.

(I think he's the only one that would take them)

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

So, yeah, I'd keep an eye out for more (check the hair at the base of his tail & armpits for fleas/flea dirt) and if you start seeing them, time to wash, bomb, etc.

Been raking his fur up and down...esp at the base of tail and armpits. Found the bugger on the top of his neck. It was so easy to see on his white fur which was good. So far...no more.....

I'd at least mist your dogs and their bedding well, with Adams Flea and Tick Mist. Couldn't hurt!

Good Luck!

ADAMS MIST IT IS!!!! Thanks sooo much for the rec! cool.gif

Mmm.. I don't know.. I think just b/c you have one, doesn't mean there will be more. I've found 2, totally random, at different times on both Roscoe and Sage. I've scoured the house and their fur for more, I couldn't find any. I cleaned all bedding in hot water, vacuumed and sprayed dogs and bedding with Adam's Flea and Tick Mist. Haven't noticed any more, and this was a good couple months ago.

Glad you and someone else said this.... I'm hoping it was a straggler! THX!

I agree with those who say not necessarily. I have found a single flea on one of my dogs on 2 or 3 occasions out here. And I don't treat routinely because my dogs don't get, haven't had and hopefully won't ever have fleas.

Out here there are fleas we call "stick fleas" and they are bigger than your average flea and they don't flee and vanish into the dogs fur when you see them and are easy to pick off the dog. My vet says they are the 'body builders of fleas,' and they can be gotten from a dog sticking his head into a bunch of weeds or leaves of trees. Don't know the what, when or why of these fleas, but they don't usually mean you have an infestation.

I agree with those who say not necessarily. I have found a single flea on one of my dogs on 2 or 3 occasions out here.

Me too :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest fandogs

I don't think you have an infestation at this time. Stay vigilant.. comb, keep your eyes open. I would use a day or two of capstar. They will kill anything on the dog within 3 hours.

I have been using Comfortis for 3 years.. and no fleas.. not even a hitch hiker.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this back to the top. We brought all 5 to the vet today because my vet is going on maternity for 8 weeks so she wanted to see all 5, do weight, mani/pedi and document exactly what's doing with everyone so if God forbid there is a problem, the other vets are current on all.

I had given all 5 of mine a bath this week after Dewey. While standing with Ollie in the room with the vet, I saw A flea and immediately got the comb and found it. She gave him a capstar and also gave me front line for everyone. I continued to comb Ollie and found one more.

I do not believe anyone else has any nor do I think he has any more.. but I will continue to comb him and everyone else.

This is a first for us!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TeddysMom

Another reason I love winter. I can't wait for the first good freeze. The comfortis really does work well but there always seems to be a hitchiker or two around. I am another believer in Adams spray, all their beds, the baseboards and furniture gets sprayed weekly plus if I see a flea on one of the dogs they get misted. Come on winter :P