Help With Brushing His Teeth!

I think I have already asked about brushing his teeth, but cannot find it. I am using Petzlife and a small soft child's toothbrush. We do fair on the front teeth, but how do you brush the very back teeth upper and lower? He turns away and clenches his teeth. I really don't want to put my fingers in his mouth as there is a little fear factor. Please help.

With one hand, hold his mouth gently closed and tuck your index finger inside the cheek to lift the lip away from the teeth. With other hand, insert brush and gently brush. If dog really objects, try brushing those back teeth with a washcloth-wrapped finger. Nice treat afterward -- can make for a squirmy dog since he/she expects the treat, but generally improves cooperation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Fasave

I use a battery operated toothbrush (regular adult soft crest spinbrush) on my guys. They too clench but I am able to get the brush under a lip and reach way back to get those teeth. You don't get a lot of time but because of the brush action, you get good results. My senior grey just had his first dental in 7 years and it was only because he needed a lump removed from the roof of his mouth. I let them lick the brush when I am done and they see this as their reward. I do use a poultry flavored canine toothpaste.

Good job taking care of his teeth. It will definitely pay off in the long run.

I use a standard electric toothbrush too. I've never had a dog I can't use it on, though it took quite some time with Jack, and I couldn't do it more than once or twice a week with him because he was so nervy. He and Renie had one each, colour coded. :wub:

I do the back teeth by lifting the cheek away. They always tense that bit, but you need to just put a finger in and lift it away, or if you're careful you can do it with the brush head. Take care not to pinch, though.

Sid doesn't exactly enjoy it, but he doesn't put up a fight, and yes, I always give a tasty treat afterwards. They do know, and look forward to that!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest NeverSayNever

Interesting posts about the electric toothbrushes... I had not considered before.

Its ok for him to have his mouth closed as you only have to brush the outside of the teeth. Just pull his cheek away from the teeth and insert toothbrush.

I looked up Petzlife and I didn't see any dog friendly flavors. I use chicken flavored Petrodex and my guys practically eat the toothbrush and lick the stuff off before I can brush. Its a bit of a pain, but its more enjoyable for them.

Thanks for this info---I needed it too. I won a toothbrushing kit as part of an auction basket at Grapehounds. I've never brushed Polly's teeth before, but she needs it.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I use the Crest electric toothbrush for Otis and Kieran. I have separate heads (brush part) for each of them and just pull their lips away when they clench their teeth. I use the CET Vanilla-Mint doggy toothpaste that was recommended in another post a few weeks ago. They do try, fairly successfully, to lick off the toothpaste while I'm trying to brush, but that's OK. :)

Guest greytgrandma

I use a soft child's toothbrush and Petrodex chicken flavor. I say "lets brush your toofers" and Hot Rod gets all excited. He loves the toothpaste :lol He doesnt squirm to much but is always trying to lick the toothpaste before I can brush. I find it helps to moosh the paste into the bristles first

Guest lanielovesgreys

Vivie shows me her teeth for tooth brushings. Pulls back her gums on her own. I don't know if her foster mom taught her this or what. But it's so cute.

Interesting posts about the electric toothbrushes... I had not considered before.

Its ok for him to have his mouth closed as you only have to brush the outside of the teeth. Just pull his cheek away from the teeth and insert toothbrush.

I looked up Petzlife and I didn't see any dog friendly flavors. I use chicken flavored Petrodex and my guys practically eat the toothbrush and lick the stuff off before I can brush. Its a bit of a pain, but its more enjoyable for them.

I use a soft bristle toothbrush on both of mine with the Petzlife Salmon flavor and they both love it. All I have to say is "let's brush your teeth" and they both come running. lol.gif