Stomach Cancer

Guest cypselus

So sorry. This is not one we hear much about.. I agree with tbhounds about the pred. Side effects are not nice so why give it if you don't have a real reason.

You are so right. My 14 1/2 old broodie HAD to start taking it and zoom - all her muscle mass went away and made her look bony etc.and made her weak. Terrible stuff but it does keep her alive. So sad to see age take such a toll on their bodies. Wish there was an alternative but I guess it hasn't been discovered yet. I would never use it on a grey unless it was clearly life or death. I get pretty adament with the vets who try to dispense it like candy since it is one of their favorite "fix-alls".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Paws is a good place - but it is pricey!

Don't feel bad about NOT doing tests - yes, they ARE expensive and if they wouldn't change how you're treating him, then you really don't need them.

Just do what you're doing - you may have him a long long time yet!! (Fingers crossed!!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest cypselus

South Paws is a good place - but it is pricey!

Don't feel bad about NOT doing tests - yes, they ARE expensive and if they wouldn't change how you're treating him, then you really don't need them.

Just do what you're doing - you may have him a long long time yet!! (Fingers crossed!!)

So far, so good. I won't be able to weigh him again tomorrow, but he looks stable, and no symptoms this week except for a weird couple of minutes last night where he did something midway between coughing and retching. Nothing came up, though.

I am beginning to feel like we'll have him a while longer. For the first four or five weeks, I held my breath every time my wife called me at work, fearing she had some bad news about the dog. I've relaxed a great deal since then. If he starts to deteriorate again, though, I don't know that my philosophical facade won't just melt away. In the meantime, we're having fun every day.

I'm so glad to hear he continues to feel well. One day at a time. He's a very handsome fellow :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's so handsome! Hope you have many, many more good days with Harrison!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cypselus

:thumbs-up to Harrison! What a sweet, handsome boy -- and so is your baby.:wub:

Harrison and Charlie (3 months old last Friday) say thank you.

No news with the dog. He had a couple of instances last week of waking up in the middle of the night doing something between panting and retching, but didn't vomit. It passed after a minute or so. He seems really muscular, more so than I remember him being for the last couple of years. His legs are really firm and the muscles well-defined. His new diet must agree with him - he certainly doesn't exercise.

• 1 month later...
Guest cypselus

Just a quick update - we've been very busy the past few weeks with the kids and the house. Harrison's condition hasn't changed much. About three weeks ago, he urinated in the house 3 times in a week. He didn't do it for two weeks (we've been letting him out more, though). Then this week he did it three times again. His drinking behavior is strange. Often, if not necessarily daily, he'll just drain his water bowl in one sitting. The rest of the day he doesn't seem any more interested in water than usual. We're going to the vet tomorrow for bloodwork.

The lymph nodes behind his jaw feel a little different every day. They're obviously enlarged, but I don't notice any trend in them. I can't feel lymph nodes anywhere else. I don't know what that means.

It's been three and half months since we learned of his mass. We're very happy he's still here and doing better than I ever expected.

I'm am glad Harrison is still doing okay. I hope he continues for a long time to come!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest cypselus

His blood and urine showed a creatinine of 2.3, which is a little higher than he usually is (1.9-2.2, IIRC), but not by much, and a T4 of .3, but no symptoms of hypothyroidism. Otherwise, everything is normal. Nothing to explain his drinking and accidents in the house. The vet took a sterile urine sample today to test for infection, since the first test showed bacteria. He was not troubled by Harrison's mandibular lymph nodes.

Something I just learned recently is that dogs will drink more when they're nauseous. Maybe something to settle his stomach will stop the increased drinking. Glad he's doing so well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Well, that should stop the accidents in the house. Hugs to everyone. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead