Raw Steak Bone

Guest gonewtthewind1

Guest gonewtthewind1

My husband cut out some bones from a NY strip steak before he cooked it. Can I give to to Maddie? One piece is long and kind of thick, but the other is small. Could she choke on the smaller one?

Thanks!

Becky

Guest greybookends

I think the larger one would be ok. Not knowing how big the smaller one is I would be afraid she might swallow it, but with supervision the larger one should be fine.

Guest mcsheltie

I would start out with the larger one. Once you see what she does with it, then decide on what to do with the smaller one. I have three I can give any size bone to. They hold them with their paws and chew them up. I have a couple I can not trust with the small ones.

I wouldn't give either. They tend to be sharp, artificially cut bones and aren't really appropriate for dog eating. Sorry, I'm a raw feeder, but I would toss these.

OK - WHY did he take the bones out of the steak before he cooked it? Steak is SO much better when cooked on the bone! :eek

Sorry - that was a cook's sidetrack.

But to your question - IF you cut out the bones - I'd definately give my dog the big bone - probably not the small one - because they'd probably just inhale the small one - probably wouldn't cause any problems, but they wouldn't chew it - so no befefeit from it.

Give the chewable bone - trash the tiny one.

Guest gonewtthewind1

Gave her the big bone, and she LOVED it. I will chuck the little one. I don't want her to choke. The reason that DH cut out the bone was because he knew that Maddie would like it:)

Thanks all!

Becky

Guest Swifthounds

I wouldn't give either. They tend to be sharp, artificially cut bones and aren't really appropriate for dog eating. Sorry, I'm a raw feeder, but I would toss these.

:nod. I'm with Ola. My hounds are all raw fed and can tackle some pretty challenging bones, but these are a big risk. I don't think I know anyone raw feeding dogs who would chance it (I do know folks who feed them to larger wild carnivores though).

I also feed raw and wouldn't feed steak bones. Reason is many years ago a chihuahua I once had needed to spend a night in the hospital-blood in poop-from eating on a steak bone I gave him. Vet at UGA Vet School said they were too sharp to feed. We got lucky and he didn't require surgery and recovered uneventfully.

Edited by racindog

I feed 100% raw for Ollie and I agree with Ola, none at all. Give duck or chicken or even turkey necks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greyhound9797

I'm with the others - no steak or chop bones for Piper. The bones in those meats that are cut can be very small and sharp and potentially dangerous. About the only dangerous thing about feeding raw in my opinion. Stick to larger bones and you'll be fine.

Sandra in FL