Causes For Protein In Urine

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

I've tried a search of the forum and googling the net, but was just wondering if anyone on here had any good articles on causes of protein in the urine.

Sonie had a UTI which was cleared a couple of weeks ago. There was a concern that there was protein in her urine at the time. We have just done another urinalysis (our third one since the infection), and we finally have a good sample as far as everything else goes - a concentrated urine with no bacteria, no crystals, no excessive bilirubin, a ph of 7, but there is still protein. The protein has been consistent the past couple of months and she has never had protein in her urine prior to these last few samples.

So the next step is we are doing a protein/creatine ratio test.

I did read that protein in the urine could be caused by inflammation elsewhere in the body. Sonie has not only just recovered from a UTI but had a tooth pulled last week - underneath the tooth was a bad infection which she is still on antibiotics for. I'm wondering if any of this could be related to the protein issue.

I'd love to read some articles on this or hear from anyone knowledgeable on possible causes of protein in the urine. Thanks!

Glomerulonephritis seems to be a little prevelant in greyhounds. That's one cause of protein losing nephropathy.

My almost 15 yr old has it. She's on enalapril and 1/4 baby aspirin. Her blood protein is still good, so they said she's still doing well.

Pearl had it as well, but it was really secondary to her heart and BP issues. We believe the abscessed tooth caused her GN.

Dima passed to the bridge because she was in kidney failure as well as new OS in another bone. But the chemo probably caused that kidney damage.

Guest Fasave

Do you have a copy of Dr. Freeman's latest information on greyhound blood work? There is information in there on the BUN and creatine levels for greyhounds. I'm glad they're doing a ratio test because that is what is most important and should provide information on how well the kidneys are functioning. Did they think it could be up because of the tooth infection? You can do a search on Protein Losing Nephropathy (PLN). I know a few greyhounds with it and they take enalapril and do well (Kelly's Wonder for example).

I've had 3 to 4+ protein in the urine on quite a few of the older ones over the years. They exhibited no symptoms so we kept a check on it. I did do the protein/creatine ratio and it was normal.

Funny this should come up. I have a foster girl who has 5+ protein and I think she probably has pln

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest HersheysMom

Do you have a copy of Dr. Freeman's latest information on greyhound blood work? There is information in there on the BUN and creatine levels for greyhounds. I'm glad they're doing a ratio test because that is what is most important and should provide information on how well the kidneys are functioning. Did they think it could be up because of the tooth infection? You can do a search on Protein Losing Nephropathy (PLN). I know a few greyhounds with it and they take enalapril and do well (Kelly's Wonder for example).

I don't have that, I'd like a copy. Her last bloodwork (pre-op from June) was good and kidney values were perfect. The bloodwork creatine was not even elevated as it can be in ghs, both BUN and creat were right in the middle. The vet did say it could still have to do with the infection. I may wait another week before dropping sample #4 off for this latest test.

Diane Sonie's reading was a 3+ She'll be 9 next month. It's good to hear that you've had other over 3 that had a normal protein creatine.

Thanks for all the replies. It lets me know that at least if she does have pln it can be manageable longterm.

I'm not a vet and of course I could be wrong, but I don't think it's PLN. With that the protein is lost though the intestine and hardly ever through the urine. I would lean towards Glomerular Nephritis (GN) or amlyoidosis instead. I wrote a very long - too long maybe -- article/diary about our Tucker who went through it. It's here. For a plain old explanation, try here.

Edited to add this really scientific explanation of PLN. The same sites likely have GN explanations too.

Whatever it is, it's no fun. :(

Edited by MZH