Fleas

Guest FNACOURT

Guest FNACOURT

I have started to get some fleas inside the house. I am thinking of using those flea "bombs" in order to fumigate the house but I am concerned about my greyhounds. Does anyone have any suggestions about safe products to use?

Revolution. It's a topical solution like frontline. I also use it on my cats. Before I got my grey I had 2 cats and found 2 cats on the side of the road and they brought fleas with them. I put the revolution on my first 2 cats and saw the vet the next day and he said I didn't need to worry, that the revolution would take care of things. After a day or 2, I never saw another flea. Ask your vet about it.

Edited by Sambuca

Guest Energy11

We use only Adams Flea and Tick Mist with GREAT results. It doesn't seem to work for everyone, but does for us :-)

You can also spray the rugs and bedding with it as well. Good Luck!

Guest mcsheltie

Flea bombs are worthless. Been there and tried them many times. I spray the house once a year with IGR right before the weather starts to warm up. Any fleas that jump off the dogs can't reproduce. IGR is totally safe even for cats. The product we use lasts for seven months. By then it is snowing again :(

I had a flea infestation in my house once - years ago - when I had cats. Because of that - I am ZERO TOLERANT of fleas.

If I were you - I'd get all my animals out of my house - give them all Capstar (kills all feas on them) apply Frontline or the equivalant - and bomb the house with bombs from the Vets office - NOT from Walmart. Two weeks later - remove the animals again - and bomb it again- then 2 weeks later - bomb it again.

Flea eggs can live in carpeting an upholstery for a LONG time - if they're in the chrysalys stage - nothing can kill them. You have to keep treating - waiting for them to emerge and die on the chemicals.

I know it souds crazy - but if you get a full-blown flea infestation - it's AWEFUL!!!!

From now on - keep your animals on Frontline or something - and dust your yard with Sevens dust or something - humans and bring fleas in on our legs.

Guest wmlcml6

No luck with flea bombs here either.

I haven't had a flea problem since we discovered Comfortis a year ago (thanks to Stacy "Gert"). First sign of a flea, we give 1/2 of a pill to each dog and no more fleas.

Guest TeddysMom

Another vote for Comfortis. I also sprinkle Diatomacious earth on the dog beds, the furniture and anywhere else the dogs lay.

Comfortis believer here too. It made my horrible flea infestation I had earlier in the year go away. I used the Adams Flea spray on the bedding. And vacuum like a crazy person for a couple weeks - every day. I would never use bombs in my house, but that is just me. If it is that toxic you have to leave, nothing will convince me if I wait 2 hours all is well.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest lat41065

get a vaccuum that uses bags vacuum the WHOLE house daily with a fresh bag make sure you take the used bag to the garbage outside. every day for 30 days. bomb every two weeks with whatever kind i use the walmart kind. its getting the pupa stage out of the house as its not affectedd by bombs etc. I use diatomaceous earth in the house and yard with no fleas.............JMHO

Guest leash

Where is the cheepest place to buy Comfortis? Anyone have any ideas. I already spend so much a month on everything else. Does anyone sell it cheeper than $72.00?

Guest Sweetreba

I had a flea infestation in my house once - years ago - when I had cats. Because of that - I am ZERO TOLERANT of fleas.

If I were you - I'd get all my animals out of my house - give them all Capstar (kills all feas on them) apply Frontline or the equivalant - and bomb the house with bombs from the Vets office - NOT from Walmart. Two weeks later - remove the animals again - and bomb it again- then 2 weeks later - bomb it again.

Flea eggs can live in carpeting an upholstery for a LONG time - if they're in the chrysalys stage - nothing can kill them. You have to keep treating - waiting for them to emerge and die on the chemicals.

I know it souds crazy - but if you get a full-blown flea infestation - it's AWEFUL!!!!

From now on - keep your animals on Frontline or something - and dust your yard with Sevens dust or something - humans and bring fleas in on our legs.

I agree with you. I had a full blown flea infestation a couple of times and the only thing that worked was the bombs from the vet. I only had to do it once, but you have to make sure you get enough cans to do the size of your house. The adult fleas die but the ones that hatch never reach adulthood so they do not reproduce or bite and in a week die off.

Guest wmlcml6

My vet will sell us a box of 60-120 lb Comfortis for $60. Of course, that's probably because we buy so much of it (use at home and on the racers/adoptables). Maybe your vet would sell it at a discount to your adoption group and you can buy it from them.

I also only give 1/2 a pill, which still lasts 4 weeks and puts less meds in the dogs (which I prefer), so that helps with the savings.