Our Greyhound Died & Other Grey Is Depressed

Guest Iris

I'm remembering advice I received when I adopted my first grey, a bounce from a loving home. Eve missed her first family very much. A friend experienced with dogs advised me to keep everything upbeat and positive with her. Sort of like: "Treat her like she's got something to be sorry about, and she'll be sorry. Treat her like she's the luckiest dog in the world, and that's what she'll pick up on."

I wonder if that might work in this situation. I've found it helpful for my own emotions to talk to a surviving dog about happy memories of a departed dog.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Put Sophies collar on Kate to wear with her own. That seems to have helped several of our hounds through their mourning. It worked well with Gustopher P when he lost his sweet little Miss Rose. I also kept her blanket on his bed for a couple of weeks. Time and love will pull them through.

There is something to this. I had never heard of it before but after Slim crossed over I immediately- and I can't tell you why- but I felt the need to wear his dog tag along with my cross around my neck. A little while later Minny took his nose nudging one of Slim's collars and was clearly asking me to put Slims tag or collar on him-which I did- and he felt better. And I'm still wearing his tag(and always will) and it still helps me "feel better" too. I imagine that the things have some of the energy of the one that crossed over and we and our houndies can pick up on it and it comforts us.

Put Sophies collar on Kate to wear with her own. That seems to have helped several of our hounds through their mourning. It worked well with Gustopher P when he lost his sweet little Miss Rose. I also kept her blanket on his bed for a couple of weeks. Time and love will pull them through.

There is something to this. I had never heard of it before but after Slim crossed over I immediately- and I can't tell you why- but I felt the need to wear his dog tag along with my cross around my neck. A little while later Minny took his nose nudging one of Slim's collars and was clearly asking me to put Slims tag or collar on him-which I did- and he felt better. And I'm still wearing his tag(and always will) and it still helps me "feel better" too. I imagine that the things have some of the energy of the one that crossed over and we and our houndies can pick up on it and it comforts us.

I started to try the collar switch but when I got out Sophie's collar Katie ran around the house looking for her and then starting a mewling, crying sound. It broke my heart. I quickly put the collar away and try to distract her with her favorite treats. Kate, apparently, is quite shallow as the distraction actually worked!!! :)

We are going to hold off fostering as I know that will just land us with another grey to keep. How do people foster without keeping them? I would get into big trouble there.