Dehydrating Meats

My Ig and one of my greys are on very strict diets. I was considering investing in a dehydrator to make snacks for them. I was at a farmers market yesterday and a wholistic dog food store was there selling items. I bought some dehydrated bananas for my male and we got to talking about dehydrating foods. She also makes her own organic snacks. She recommended purchasing a table top convection oven to dehydrate meats and fruits. She said to put it at the lowest setting, using two racks. It can also obviously be used for other cooking, while the dehydrator can not.

Any experiences with these? Thanks!

I have a dehydrator and really like it. You can make up to 5 trays with a dehydrator at one time. It makes quite a lot.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've had really good results dehydrating beef liver for our dogs. I've got an excellent dehydrator that has a fan in it so it finishes off the food much, much faster than the ones with a small heating element only.

Here's the recipe I use:

Dried Beef Liver

dried-livers.jpg

1 pound sliced beef or calves liver

Garlic powder (1 to 3 tbsp.)

1 large pot of boiling water

Rinse the beef liver well in cool water. Place the liver in a large pot of boiling water. Add garlic powder (1-3 Tbsp.) to water. Allow enough room in the pot to prevent boiling over, and allow to boil for at least 1/2 to 3/4 hr or until cooked well. Let cool, cut into 1/2-inch square cubes.

Spread on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in a 250 degree oven for at least 2 hours (longer is OK) or until dry to the touch. Liver will be shrunk to about 1/4 inch cubes when done.

This liver is very dry when done, and can be stored in the freezer in a plastic bag or airtight container. The dried liver will last all day in your pocket, and won't stain your clothing, it is also much cheaper than freeze-dried liver. You can keep it in small film canisters in your pocket so your dog won't smell it.

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest Greytluv

I've had really good results dehydrating beef liver for our dogs. I've got an excellent dehydrator that has a fan in it so it finishes off the food much, much faster than the ones with a small heating element only.

What kind of dehydrator do you have?

Guest kydie

I dehydrate all kinds of meats, chicken, beef and my own dog jerky, I have a Nesco, and you can add as many trays as you like, depending on the amount of product you want to dehydrate

best thing I ever bought, I even do my own dog treats, made from whole wheat and oatmeat :)

Guest Cris_M

Never heard of using a convection over to dehydrate. How's that done?

We have one of those cheap dehydrators and make dried meat treats regularly. They mail to friend's dogs very nicely.

Mine is an American Harvest Snackmaster Elite with 4 trays. I think I paid about $50 for it but that was years ago.

There's a whole bunch of them listed on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=american+harvest+snackmaster&x=0&y=0&sprefix=American+Harvest&ih=14_1_0_0_0_0_0_1_0_1.123_258&fsc=-1

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

I made dried sweet potato treats in my regular oven. It may be worth a try before spending the money on a dehydrater.

That is what I am concerned about..the dogs not liking them and then I wasted money!! if I want to dehydrate in the regular oven...do I just cook very low and long?

Alton Brown (tv scientist / chef / goofball) dehydrates beef using a box fan and some air conditioner filters. Can't get any cheaper than that if you want to just try it out!! Here is a link to his recipe w/ instructions: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Cris_M

I got mine at a Salvation Army type store. It cost $2.

Another suggestion would be freecycle.org They are divided by geographical location, and the stuff is FREE!

I got mine at a Salvation Army type store. It cost $2.

Another suggestion would be freecycle.org They are divided by geographical location, and the stuff is FREE!

Oh do freecycle all the time...mostly to give away stuff! I hadn't even thought of posting a "wanted" Thanks! I will start there!

I was wondering about this myself. My range is a brand new Electrolux and the main oven even has a Dehydrate setting! I was warned, though, that dehydrating some of this stuff is a bit smelly... and a table-top dehydrator can be operated outside or in the garage... where the smells don't matter.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

no luck so far with freecycle...I saw a nice tabletop oven in walmart..toast, bake, broil, and had a setting for dehydrate. thinking about getting that, just thinking where I would keep it! It is more $ than a regular dehydrator, but also serves more purposes