Just How Old Is She?

Yesterday, my girls turned 6! Both are from the same litter. I have had them since they were 2. I just read online that the true calculation for dog years is 15 people years to the dog's first year, 9 people years to the dog's second year, and 5 people years to every dog year after that.

Anyone have any suggestions? Just curious. They had a fun birthday party with us!!!

:offwall

Guest littlesyd85

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADIES!!!!

That is interesting about the age, I always thought it was 7 years per dog year... But who knows really! Like tbhounds said, age is just a number! You never know how long or how little you will have them so enjoy every minute of it!

My 12 yr olds (who both just passed this year) were extremely active and young. Dr. Couto said they had bodies like 7 yr olds. (cancer took them both just 2 months apart from each other).

Any ways....before the cancer, before I knew what was ahead of me, last summer I came across someone with a greyhound. A little old man (dog) who teetered with every step. His little old lady human looked just as frail. I was expecting the owner to say he was 15. I bit my tongue when she said he had just turned 12. My sisters were going to be 12 in another month. This little old man had 3 paws in the grave. She told me he's just old, he didn't have any life threatening diseases. Of course I didn't tell her about my almost 12 yr olds running around the yard at full sprint after critters, playing with stuffies, and a 14 yr old (who was also way healthier)

So, to sum up a long story......just like people, you can have an old 60 yr old and a young 80 yr old. Just depends on the makeup.

My 14 yr old will turn 15 in 2 months. She's still in better shape than the 12 yr old from last year.

By the way, Happy Birthday girls.

Guest GentleHugs

Happy birthday girls! aquabirthday.gif

About the age calculation, that's the first time I've heard of it being calculated that way. My vet always told me the way they determine age was an average of 7 dogs years to every 1 human year plus checking their teeth, too. But who knows for sure??? dunno.gif

My 12 1/2 yr old senior girl just hauled butt the other day chasing after a deer that was in our back garden area! She beat my almost 9 yr old boy and my almost 8 yr old girl to the back fence! I was so proud of her for showing she still had it in her to flat out run! inlove.gif She was pretty proud of herself, too. Usually my yard police is my boy Patrick and my mighty hunter is LuLu (the almost 8 year old)! tongue.gif

My 12 yr olds (who both just passed this year) were extremely active and young. Dr. Couto said they had bodies like 7 yr olds. (cancer took them both just 2 months apart from each other).

Any ways....before the cancer, before I knew what was ahead of me, last summer I came across someone with a greyhound. A little old man (dog) who teetered with every step. His little old lady human looked just as frail. I was expecting the owner to say he was 15. I bit my tongue when she said he had just turned 12. My sisters were going to be 12 in another month. This little old man had 3 paws in the grave. She told me he's just old, he didn't have any life threatening diseases. Of course I didn't tell her about my almost 12 yr olds running around the yard at full sprint after critters, playing with stuffies, and a 14 yr old (who was also way healthier)

So, to sum up a long story......just like people, you can have an old 60 yr old and a young 80 yr old. Just depends on the makeup.

My 14 yr old will turn 15 in 2 months. She's still in better shape than the 12 yr old from last year.

By the way, Happy Birthday girls.

I am so sorry - so very sorry for your intense loss. I lost a wonderful girl of 10 to a nasty cancer in 2004 on Veterans day. Less than a year later, I lost her sister to a degenerative bone disease (incredible pain). Your girls are now with my girls waiting for us there. :)

:b-day Happy Birthday, Girls!! :b-day

My vet has a chart on her wall to convert your dog or cat's age. It's similar to this one. According to it, your girls and I are the same age....40. B)

Guest kydie

Chris_M this is a really cool calculator,,, just did my old girl she is 75 years old,,, no wonder she looks at me when I give her he@@,,, at 75 years old,,, I wouldn't care what some old witch was saying to me either :lol