Going In The House

Guest jenny65

Guest jenny65

I am on my third grey and am having lots of trouble with two issues. The most important issue is going in the house. I have had him for a little over a year now. He is left along for about 4-5 hours a day and I can't break him of the habit of going in the house. He has also recently started marking things. I have tried kenneling, but it makes it worse. Nothing seems to work. I've tried walking before I go to work. I have tried leaving the radio on. I have training pads. I tell him when I'm leaving and going to work. My husband is at his wits end as he has ruined one carpet and we will have to replace it. Oh, by the way, he can go at night for 8-9 hours, so I know it's anexity. Any suggestions?

Full bloodwork and urinalysis first.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

I haven't had to use them but maybe a belly band with a poise pad in it would help along with some Rescue Remedy before you leave. Good luck and I hope you find something that works.

Thanks, done that. Vet says its a bad habit/anxiety.

You probably don't know my story--

I had the same issue with George. One vet told me it was behavioral, but I knew the vet was wrong. My dog isn't an anxious dog (once I stopped confining him, that is). Every time he had a short course of antibiotics (for his dental, a skin infection, a trial for the urine issue) (by the way all blood work and five urine tests were TOTALLY NORMAL), he'd stop for a few weeks. Finally a new vet, who has had other Greyhounds with this problem, put him on a 14 weeks course of Baytril. He stopped. That was 1.5 years ago.

It's worth considering that it could be medical. It's a LOT easier to cure a medical problem than a behavioral one. Perhaps your vet would give you two weeks worth and just SEE if it helps?

Cheaper than new carpet!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest ctgreylover

If it is anxiety, try meds. It helped Tony relax. I used a dap and rescue remedy too with no luck. He is off meds but he is better when crated than free run of the house. Also, can you try to baby gate into just one room. I didn't know this at the time, but shutting them in one room add to the anxiety. I had him in my bedroom because I thought away from street noise would be good for him!

Guest jenny65

Thanks, done that. Vet says its a bad habit/anxiety.

You probably don't know my story--

I had the same issue with George. One vet told me it was behavioral, but I knew the vet was wrong. My dog isn't an anxious dog (once I stopped confining him, that is). Every time he had a short course of antibiotics (for his dental, a skin infection, a trial for the urine issue) (by the way all blood work and five urine tests were TOTALLY NORMAL), he'd stop for a few weeks. Finally a new vet, who has had other Greyhounds with this problem, put him on a 14 weeks course of Baytril. He stopped. That was 1.5 years ago.

Thanks. I may try that. My prior vet, in Lexington, Kentucky had Greys herself and she was great! However, I've been unable to find a vet in McKinney, Texas (Far North sub. of Dallas) that has Greys. I like this vet, but I think he just treats as a regular breed. He's actually our 3rd vet.

We have one like that. I have put him on rounds and rounds of different antibiotics. Urine was always clean, but my vet (bless his heart) agreed to let me treat it like a medical problem (I was aware of George's history). He would get better on the antibiotics and then slide back. With Goose, it comes and goes (ha ha). He will do well for several months and then have one accident. Then, it's like he feels he can go every time. He is my goofball. He gets cranberry pills (one pill twice a day), a morning turnout in the yard, a jog, a walk with the other dogs, and at least two more turnouts before I leave for work. He does NOT like to pee while on leash. We are still working at that. I have to make sure that he gets a good long pee at least twice in the morning. I also keep a belly band on him while I am at work. With him, it almost seems as if he knows exactly when you should be home and if you are 5 minutes late - bam. I also wonder if he gets so excited hearing my car that he lets go.

So, a long answer to a short question - I would try antibiotics, cranberry pills and a belly band with an overnight incontinence pad. Goose also improved when his littermate arrived on the scene. He is quite shy and Maverick gave him confidence. However, we already had two other greys, so I am not sure why this helped. I think it was specific to him. He really is a nut, but I love him and he thinks the sun rises and sets on my shoulders. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow