Holding His Pee?

Guest designyMia

Guest designyMia

From the moment he arrived, Spock has had a strict 'turn-out' schedule. I live in an apartment so turn-outs involve a short walk around the nearby bushes. Spock, however, in the last few days, has started just marking a little bit on those bushes/trees when we do our 'pee walks'. He tanks up on water as much as he can during the day, seemingly waiting for his daily walk (also on a strict schedule) to do all his peeing. The problem is - he doesn't always make it to his walk-time. He'll whine constantly to go out - So of course I take him out. Then he does an itty bitty tiny little sprinkle of a mark on a tree and shows absolutely no interest in peeing on anything else. We go back inside: "whine whine whine I have to go really badly!" - Out again. repeat. Back inside: "Whine whine whine I have to pee". >.< And if I don't take him out right away (again!) he leaves this massive bucket-load in the house somewhere. Despite being given multiple opportunities to do his thing.

This is starting to drive me nuts! How do I get him to pee on his pee-walks?

(Like I said, this has only been happening the last few days. Up until now he's had no problem with understanding pee-walks mean peeing.)

Slap a belly band on him inside and make him wait until his set times? It easier with the boys. LOL Rainy used to try and mark a little bit here ant there on her walks, but since we moved to the new Apt, both dogs have been super duper pottiers. :) Not sure what changed expect that the stress level peaked at home.

------

Jessica

Guest designyMia

Would a belly band work in this situation? It seems like he holds it as absolutely long as he can before 'bursting' and peeing in the house as though he had no other option... But of course, at this point I'm quite willing to try almost anything. (so long as I don't hurt my dog )

Guest BooBooMama

I am wondering if he has a urinary tract infection. Perhaps it burns when he pees so he is holding it in even though he needs to go. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet take a look at him- just to rule that out.

Guest designyMia

It doesn't seem like he's in any discomfort when he pees. He's happy enough to mark every blade of grass along our walks (And after our daily walk we have no troubles at all) . It seems like he's saving it so he can leave his mark further from home in more places =/

Guest BooBooMama

My Jen started similar behavior many years ago and I took a urine sample in to the vet and they found that she had a urinary tract infection. After two weeks on antibiotics she was fine. She never showed signs of pain either while she was going through it either. Just a thought.....

When he whines to go out, keep him out there until he does pee. Might take a while of walking. Make sure you praise and treat when he actually "goes." Sort of modified potty re-training. You might also not let him stop and mark the first couple of places - just pull and keep walking, "Come on!" And keep going!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How long / far are the potty breaks? If the UTI thing checks out okay, maybe he just needs more time to go.

Molly is a total pee miser --- she doles it out in increments throughout the duration of our 30-40 minute morning walk :lol and even during our 20-30 minute evening walk. The remaining potty breaks are just out to the yard for a quick pee. She totally knows the schedule. And I swear she increases her water intake in anticipation of being able mark for miles.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Does he get EXERCISE walks?

If all he's getting is "short walks" then he's possibly holding it to extend the walk. Often folks inadvertantly train their dog to hold it by ending the walk as soon as their "business" is taken care of.

I'm in a condo, and have to leash walk too. George gets a tinkle walk first thing in the AM, then after breakfast we go for a 40 minute exercise walk. He gets another tinkle break the SECOND I get home, and then if it's nice out, a trip to the park after dinner. One last tinkle break before bed. Just as a frame of reference.

I'd consider the suggestion that he could have a mild UTI if this behavior is new.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest designyMia

Does he get EXERCISE walks?

Of course. He goes out right after breakfast for a pee walk. (usually only needs 1-2 minutes before he's created a massive puddle under a tree and squatted for a poop. Then looks at me like I'm crazy for waiting and walking around in case he has more. Of course that's before the behaviour changed. ) Then he gets another pee walk about noon. A 30-40 minute exercise walk at one, followed by a pee walk at 5pm, an exercise walk at 10pm (30-40 minutes) and one more pee walk just before I get to bed at 1am.

I have a small jar of dog-pee and an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning to see if it's a UTI.