Protein In Urine

When you get back results of a urinalysis, which value indicates the presence of protein in the urine. What are normal-normal values? What are greyhound-normal values?

Can you get protein in the urine just from having too much protein in your dog's food? (I know "too much" is subjective, and depends on the dog. Sam's getting food that's got a guaranteed minimum of 23% for protein.) Or do you only get protein in the urine from kidney problems?

We're testing Sam's urine again in three weeks. The vet wants me to collect a sample at home, rather than bringing Sam in. He says stress could be a factor--both good stress or bad stress (in Sam's case, a visit to the vet = good stress, the actual car ride to get there = bad stress)--so he wants a sample I collect when Sam's calm(er)...this vet knows Sam well. I don't have the numbers on Sam's results from today (I want to go get a printout tomorrow), but I have Jacey's numbers from February. I seem to remember that the vet said that something on her results "would bear watching," but I don't remember if that was kidney/urine related or not. (I kind of think it was urine-related only because she's had multiple urinary issues, so when the vet says "Jacey" and "urine" in the same sentence, I tend to think "same-ol', same-ol'" and not worry a lot.) If I know what normal values look like (and which test result to look at), I can check Jacey's labwork to see if protein in her urine was high. If it was, I'll start asking the vet about their dog food, even before we get Sam retested.

Sam is 10, Jacey is 7. Both dogs take Soloxine. (Sam's T4 numbers were fine.) The lab is IDEXX, and for Jacey I have hematology, endocrinology, and chemistry results.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

There should be no protein present in the urine. In that case there is no difference between GH's and other breed dogs. Some labs claim trace amounts to be acceptable. Make sure you collect the urine in a clean or sterile urine cup. If there is still protein found then your vet should run a urine protein creatine ratio.

First thing I would do is recheck for UTI, which can give you a protein reading on the dipstick. tbhounds is right, shouldn't be any.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The vet's office collected a sterile sample. The lab reported protein in the urine and some number that the vet doesn't like. I was wondering where on a lab test that info would be indicated. (No UTI. The vet checked already.)

The vet said something about "a 1 or 2" wouldn't alarm him, but a "3 or 4" (Sam was a 4) is more alarming. On the other hand, the vet said, stress could trigger some protein in the urine--and it was a hot day, a car ride in traffic (Sam panted and drooled the whole way), and then the excitement of seeing the vet and tech that he adores. So the vet wants another sample in three weeks, taken when Sam isn't all wound up.* If the lab reports there's still protein in the urine, then they'll send the urine out to see if they can figure out what kind of protein is showing up? (I think that's what he said--and the report the vet was responding to might have been an in-house test.)

And the vet said that even if the protein is still there, he's often been able to control the problem with meds, and dogs with this kind of kidney problem get by well on the meds for years.

If a dog is getting more protein in his food than he can process, what happens? Does the dog get sick? Does the dog pee off the excess protein in his urine?

*How wound up does Sam get at the vet? I have a photo of him standing there, staring at the door, ears perked up, waiting for his vet to come in. And another picture, moments later, of Sam at the door, looking down at the bottom of the door as if he was trying to figure out how to get under it to go find his vet. Sam totally ignores me once the vet or tech come in the room.

ETA: I found the spot on Jacey's old lab results (and Sam's old results) where the protein is reported. There's just an entry reading "PROTEIN NEGATIVE" on all their old results. (That means whatever numbers of Jacey's were off in February, it wasn't a protein reading since her labwork says "negative".) I'll have to get Sam's results to see what how the lab reported what they found.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest littlesyd85

My bridge baby Lena had this problem... It was confirmed that she had kidney disease (Glomerulonephritis) that is common in greyhounds. She was leaking protein into her kidneys then subsequently peeing it out. Dr. Couto did the urinalysis and put Lena on 25mg of Spironolactone and 10mg of Enalapril daily. Bill Feeman (my normal vet) also had me start her on a fatty acid supplement. I gave her an 1000mg fish oil pill before breakfast and one before dinner. Her urine protein was really high (her UPC was 7, and normal is <1), this was taken directly from an email form Dr. Couto... Below is a website that Bill sent me when Lena was first diagnosed.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1352

I hope this information was useful. Just thought I would share since it seems similar to your situation.

Thank you! Very useful information. I've read--and bookmarked it.

My bridge baby Lena had this problem... It was confirmed that she had kidney disease (Glomerulonephritis) that is common in greyhounds. She was leaking protein into her kidneys then subsequently peeing it out. Dr. Couto did the urinalysis and put Lena on 25mg of Spironolactone and 10mg of Enalapril daily. Bill Feeman (my normal vet) also had me start her on a fatty acid supplement. I gave her an 1000mg fish oil pill before breakfast and one before dinner. Her urine protein was really high (her UPC was 7, and normal is <1), this was taken directly from an email form Dr. Couto... Below is a website that Bill sent me when Lena was first diagnosed.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1352

I hope this information was useful. Just thought I would share since it seems similar to your situation.

Thank you. I've bookmarked this site as well. I'll read more on the site when we have a better handle on what's going on.

The number they were probably concerned about likely could have been the protein creatinine ratio. 1 or less is good.

Ryan was off the charts and medicated, he's above 6 and has been for 3 years. He's declining now though (he is, not his numbers).