Long Overdue Update On Joey Bloo

Guest Mommydog

Guest Mommydog

Well I haven't been around in quite a while, that's mainly because they blocked pretty much everything at work, and when I'm not working much of my free time is spent cooking Joey's chickens and rice for his bland diet. Usually by the time I get through all I have to do, I'm too tired to get online.

Anyway back to Joey, some of you may remember about a year ago he was extremely ill with stomach ulcers, and I came very close to losing him. Well he got over that, but from June to about September he had Big D all the time, not really going any more than normal, just it was Big D every time he went. Then he caught a tummy bug which didn't help matters, but finally it cleared up, and he began to gain weight. In fact he went up to 36kg, at his lowest he was 29kg. Not long after Christmas the Big D started again and was intermittent. Between Christmas and May he caught another two tummy bugs, and because of his gastric problems he requires treatment each time. I had a whole load of tests run, apart from the really invasive ones that is, to try and find out what was causing the Big D, they all drew a blank. At the beginning of March the Big D started again, by mid-April he still had it, and we decided to try him with a very small dose of steroids, a cat sized dose once every 4 days in fact. He had a bad reaction to that, so that was a no-no. However, at the same time he he stumbled coming down the stairs, that evening his hock swelled up and he was hobbling round. I thought that he'd sprained his hock, so next day, Friday, I took him to the vet, only my usual brilliant vet, Katie, was away that day. The vet agreed that he'd probably sprained his hock, and gave me some Tramadol for pain relief, as he can't have Metacam. At this point he was pretty bad with the Big D and was going a lot a more. But suddenly it stopped and he had normal poo for the first time in ages. I racked my brains as to why the sudden turnaround, and the only thing different I could come up with was the Tramadol, so I did some googling and discovered that it's been used for anxiety in humans. However, his hock wasn't getting any better, in fact it was getting worse. So Monday I took him back, and this time we saw Katie, she found a tiny entry wound on his pad and said it was an infection. I told Katie about what I thought were the effects of Tramadol, and she said we'd double test it, by taking him off them once his leg was OK. Then if the Big D came back put him back on them and see what happened. The infection in his leg cleared up, I took him off the Tramadol, the Big D came back. So I put him back on them and it stopped again. Well at least that was one problem solved! It seems he has really bad IBS that's triggered by anxiety and stress. I've always known he was anxious dog, but the problem does seem to have got much worse as he's got older. But back to his hock, well the infection came back again after 10 days, so it was back before antibiotics. It cleared up again, then was back again after 3 weeks. Katie had said if it came back again, then he would need an exploratory doing as there was probably something in there, like a thorn or a grass seed that had traveled up into his hock. So 2 weeks ago he went in for the op, unfortunately she didn't find anything, but she flushed it all out, she did say that if there was anything there then the body may well have mashed it all up by then and it would no longer be visible. He's just finished a 20 day course of antibiotics following the op, and I'm keeping every thing crossed that it doesn't come back again, cos' if it does it's off to Chester for an MRI scan next! Katie x-rayed his leg when she did the op, and his bones are fine, there's no sign of any nasties like osteo, so that's something to be thankful for!

Anyway at least the Big D problem is sorted, he takes Tramadol for it now, and he's absolutely fine. He's back up to 35kg as he'd dropped down to 33kg. I'm actually looking to changing his diet a little now cos' for a long time we were thinking it was food intolerance that was causing the problem, it would be very nice to get away from cooking chickens and rice all the time! But that isn't all, last week Jack started sneezing like mad, then Joey started 24hrs later, they've both just had an upper respiratory virus, but they're both fine now, and neither required any treatment. I just wonder sometimes whatever next!

Guest greybookends

Angie I have often wondered what happened to you. I am sorry to hear about Joey Bloo's troubles but I am glad to see you seem to have it all sorted out now. Hopefully Joey and you can get back to some normalcy and we have missed you.

Guest Mommydog

Thanks Lori, yes, I hope we can finally get things onto an even keel at long last, and I will get the sweater finished and sent off to you, I'm sorry about that.

Guest greybookends

Thanks Lori, yes, I hope we can finally get things onto an even keel at long last, and I will get the sweater finished and sent off to you, I'm sorry about that.

I quite forgot about the sweater.

Angie, I've missed you!! I am so sorry about everything you're going through.

Please give Joey Bloo and Jack the Lad a hug from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Whew! Many of us can certainly sympathize with the mysterious GI issues, but what an interesting bit of info, that the tramadol was helpful! Continued good luck with that!

His poor leg, too. Hopefully that's all cleared up and gone for good, too! Maybe he can settle down and get a little more relaxed and build up his confidence a bit, eh?

Hugs to you all!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest Mommydog

Whew! Many of us can certainly sympathize with the mysterious GI issues, but what an interesting bit of info, that the tramadol was helpful! Continued good luck with that!

His poor leg, too. Hopefully that's all cleared up and gone for good, too! Maybe he can settle down and get a little more relaxed and build up his confidence a bit, eh?

Hugs to you all!

:bighug

Thanks Xan, well at least something good came out of all the trouble with his leg. I think I might do a separate post about the Tramadol. You never know it might be helpful to someone else.

Guest Heehoo

Well I knew you had been working a lot, I'm so glad Joey is doing good or at

least better. And bless their hearts, uh noses. I hate when mine get sick & I

hate it even more when someone else's get sick & I can't do anything about it.

I'm glad you're doing okay too.

Guest bonscoby

Huge hugs to all three of you!!!!! I've missed you terribly here, my friend! I know you haven't been able to get online at work, so you are excused. ;) Please don't stay away for so long. We need you and Joey and Jack's wonderful stories...

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and thank you, Lori, for letting me know that Angie was posting!)

Are there better friends than GT friends? Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!

We will keep all fingers and toes crossed for Joey. Stay healthy, sweetheart!

I'm so glad to see that Mr Joey is feeling better Angie. And its also good to see you back. You have been dearly missed! Hugs to all and Gwanne as well.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I've wondered several times about what happened with Joey Bloo and Jack the Lad. So glad things seem to be well sorted now! Hope you can keep us updated - there are a lot of us who love Joey and Jack's adventures!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LindsaySF

Glad he's feeling better!

He reminds me a lot of Rogan. I suspect Rogan might have IBS or something similar, but it's manageable for now. He has separation anxiety and in a former foster home basically had diarrhea the whole time and lost a lot of weight. We tried a few different foods and deworming, and he does okay on Taste of the Wild Wetlands. (I think he does poorly with rice and oatmeal).

His poops first thing in the morning are perfect, and when we're at home they are great. If we go on a walk, go to an event or meet & greet, ride in the car, anything like that, diarrhea. :( He is not outwardly stressed out in public or on walks (he is the most outgoing dog of my pack), but it wreaks havoc on his digestive system. I think it might even be crazy excitement? (Beet pulp sometimes helps, it helped in GIG).

I don't think he needs medication (yet?) but hearing that Tramadol helped your boy gives me something to think about. Thank you!

~Lindsay~

So glad to hear of Joey's improvement and your reemergence on GT! Your story reminds me how important it can be that owners be observant and analytical about these things. Bravo and congratulations!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BlackandBrindle

Angie, I was just thinking about you the other day. I'm sorry to hear about all of Joey's trials and tribulations but hopefully everything is all straightened out now. :grouphug

Kisses to the boys and I hope you get some rest from your chickens. :grouphug