Puffy Paw

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Cody punctured his paw on someone's garbage while walking yesterday. :angryfire

No need for stitches but wearing a thera-paw and when I woke up this morning to clean it his paw was puffed up. (just his toes) I know it's from having it on to tight, but he's a pro at getting those boots off. Boots been off since 7 am and it's still puffy. How long does it usually take for the swelling to go down?

He's not limping, and it doesn't seem to bother him but I'm concerned. Any advice/experience greatly appreciated.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

I have no advice, Pam, but I hope the swelling goes down soon and Cody feels better. How about putting a bag of frozen peas on it?

I'll try anything..thanks Connie!

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Is he on antibiotics? Puncture wounds get infected quite easily. Swelling is one of the first indications.

Was told you use an antibiotic cream

If you're sure that the puffiness was caused strictly by the boots, take vetwrap and wrap his paws, including the toes. Normal tightness, not overly tight, not loose. Take him for a little walk. The pressure from the wrap plus the increase in circulation from the walk should reduce the swelling almost completely.

If it doesn't work, then I would start to worry about infection.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

If you're sure that the puffiness was caused strictly by the boots, take vetwrap and wrap his paws, including the toes. Normal tightness, not overly tight, not loose. Take him for a little walk. The pressure from the wrap plus the increase in circulation from the walk should reduce the swelling almost completely.

If it doesn't work, then I would start to worry about infection.

Great advice. Didn't have vetwrap but used elastic bandage. Just got back from walk and it's almost back to normal. Only 2 toes a touch puffy but outside toes and main part of paw normal..Thank you so much!