New Confidence Affecting Behaviour?

Guest NeroAmber

Guest NeroAmber

So we've now had Nero for three and a half months, not too long, so he's still learning and adjusting, but I was wondering if his recent changes in behaviour could be down to new confidence? He was very good at returning to me when called, but for the last two weeks he has started to ignore me. He won't come inside from the garden when called, he won't come to me in the fields, and won't come downstairs when called, even treats don't always get him to come. I thought at first that maybe he had suddenly become fearful, but once I've gone over to him and given him a rub down the back, he'll follow me (though sometimes he needs a little push to start him moving)

At the same time though, he hs started to come up for cuddles, and will curl up (on me if he can fit!) on the sofa with me, so while his behaviour has gone sporadic, his affection has improved.

...I'm flummoxed here, any clue as to what's going on, anyone? Thanks for any help! :colgate

Yep, he's comfortable and has a mind of his own.:lol Sounds like every other greyhound on the planet.:lol If you want him to come every time you call, you'll have to start recall training him. If you can find a really good "high value" treat, something he will get only when he comes when you call. Something special that he likes more than anything. Start him with that. You can use a long leash, call him, when he comes treat him. Do it over and over. You can also achieve it with a rope, making it longer and longer each time and when he come back, treat him. Just don't give him this particular treat for anything else.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You've got it exactly right, and until you have him trained to a reliable off-leash recall, I'd keep him on a leash. Every time you call a dog and he ignores you and there are no consequences, he learns that "come" is more of a suggestion than a command!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Last thought: I use a different command for "Get your butt in the house," "Let's go outside," "Go in your crate," etc. 99.9% of the time, I use "Come!" only in training / practice, and always reward when they come.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Last thought: I use a different command for "Get your butt in the house."

Okay Jey, that made me laugh out loud because Saint would look at me like "what's a butt?" :rofl :rofl

Good point though.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Join the club! My Peggy went into a phase just like that after she blossomed out of her spookiness. Remember that they have other senses like keen sight on moving objects; Peggy will come back if she sees me throw a squeaker (that she's never allowed to have) - the tick is not to throw it so far that you can't get to it first. Another is to remind her that you have nice treats before you let her go. However on days when she's acting 'cussed', she doesn't get let off the lead period. She's not even 3 yet so I expect to be 'tested.'

Edited by JohnF