Experience With Osteo And Vpi

I am getting ready to submit my first claims to VPI for Neyla's osteo diagnosis and I am a little concerned because we have not done a biopsy or FNA and are choosing not to b/c everyone is so confident this is osteo. Has anyone had experience with VPI reimbursing for osteo or another cancer based on a radiograph diagnosis? I have the discharge summary from the radiation oncologist that doesn't really have a place for a dx. It says that "Neyla presented to use after being diagnosed with a probable osteosarcoma" and then just discusses the findings, which includes this statement: "radiographs were provided that showed a mostly lytic lesion of the left proximal humerus" and then goes on to discuss treatment options, including radiation.

I asked him to write a letter that would confirm that diagnosis, but I almost think it's worse. It says the same things about her presenting with evidence of a lesion and then says, "Although without a biopsy an absolute definitive diagnosis is impossible, given the patient signalment, radiographic appearance, lesion location, and no history of travel outside of the immediate area, it is with a high degree of confidence I believe this to be a primary osteosarcoma."

Am I worrying too much? Will either be fine? Or do you think one is better than the other?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, we did not get a final osteo diagnosis until 10 days AFTER Jamey's leg was amputated. We sent in our claim with a statement very similar to what you wrote, to Pet Secure (Canadian equivalent of VPI) and had no problems!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Fasave

I have VPI and have submitted for cancer (soft tissue) but had the biopsy reports. I totally understand your concern which is why my new pup is covered under Embrace Pet Insurance. I might just submit the first one and see if they ask you for more or decline. You can always dispute their decision with more information later. You could also call them and ask what they require for reimbursement on osteo. It would seem they would prefer to reimburse for an x-ray versus other extensive testing. That might take some of the worry away. Just to ease your mind a little, even though I could never figure out what they were going to reimburse, they always seemed to come in higher than I expected. I'm thankful I purchased the cancer rider for my guy though. I'm sorry you are having to deal with osteo. Cancer sucks.

Thanks for the input. I had talked to someone already, but on your rec Fasave, I called back and asked more detailed questions and they said that the report from the oncologist should be sufficient since a biopsy is not in Neyla's best interest so I think I should be okay. I'm going to send the report today and not send the letter. If they don't approve the claim, I'll ask the doctor to update the letter to include a statement about why biopsy is not in her best interest and send that in. Thanks!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I believe, unless you specifically select the coverage, cancer isn't covered in the standard VPI policy.

Good luck.

I have the best coverage policy, which does include cancer plus the double cancer rider.