Maddie's Gsd'ing In Pain

Guest Maddison

Guest Maddison

I'm not sure what happened. We just went to the vet today to get her shots. He said she was fine but he wasn't the usual vet and not as thorough with her exam. He didn't check her legs out which all of the other vets there do. She has just done the GSD 4 times in 20 minutes. If I touch her back she's fine but when I put my hands on her front upper leg on one side you can see her lips curl up in a way that says I want to growl and snap. The other side is less tender and she's not curling up as much on her mouth but you can see she really wants to. The vet gave her 4 shots today. Perhaps one of them got her nerve? Our neighbor next door is a vet, he said just give her the tramadol and keep an eye out on her. She has a compressed disk in her back, perhaps being at the vet just irritated the spine.

Was she lifted up to be put on an exam table? Maybe hurt her back that way?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Maddison

Was she lifted up to be put on an exam table? Maybe hurt her back that way?

Sort-of. They have lowered beds that they can raise and for some reason when they took her down the second time the vet and nurse sort of lifted her a bit. I am hoping this is just back pain! The vet called me, he didn't seem too concerned. I didn't like him much, he didn't seem to be too concerned about anything. I'll have to remember to not see him, the others are just so much more compassionate about the dogs and have better "bedside" manners. I hope her pain pills kick in and she stops shaking in pain. After an hour she seems to be calming down a little bit.

4 shots at once? Could be just soreness from that. If you didn't see where they gave the shots, next time insist on watching, and ask them to premedicate for inflammation.

Hope she is feeling much better shortly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm not sure what happened. We just went to the vet today to get her shots. He said she was fine but he wasn't the usual vet and not as thorough with her exam. He didn't check her legs out which all of the other vets there do. She has just done the GSD 4 times in 20 minutes. If I touch her back she's fine but when I put my hands on her front upper leg on one side you can see her lips curl up in a way that says I want to growl and snap. The other side is less tender and she's not curling up as much on her mouth but you can see she really wants to. The vet gave her 4 shots today. Perhaps one of them got her nerve? Our neighbor next door is a vet, he said just give her the tramadol and keep an eye out on her. She has a compressed disk in her back, perhaps being at the vet just irritated the spine.

My guess is a possible vaccine reaction. Ady Bea had a bad reaction to the dental vaccine and she started with pain and unending GSOD, too. Call your vet pronto and check her temp frequently. Ady Bea's went above 106 in 24 hrs. I'll see if I can find her thread about this.

Guest eaglflyt

Here's the link to Ady Bea's vaccine reaction thread. Ady Bea is fine now and had no long term effects, but we were surely scared when the dental vaccine made her so very sick and have so much pain.

I hope your girl recovers quickly and is feeling better already. It may not be a vaccine reaction in her case, but I'd just keep an eye out for it and keep taking her temperature to see if it becomes elevated. Also, if her pain doesn't subside, call your vet.

Best Wishes!

Guest Energy11

That IS a lot of shots at once! It might just be site tenderness from the shots and where they were given, or a vaccine reaction.

KEEP A CLOSE EYE on her, and if she continues to get worse, OR doesn't get better, I'd see the evet and keep the bill for the "other" vet!

Good Luck and hopefully Maddie will feel better soon!

Guest dobiegrey

My doberman had a terrible reaction to the lepto shot a couple of years ago, his whole side swelled up and he was in terrible pain, on his chart it is written in red "NO LEPTO" due to his severe reaction. Hope she is feeling better soon.

4 shots at once? Could be just soreness from that. If you didn't see where they gave the shots, next time insist on watching, and ask them to premedicate for inflammation.

Hope she is feeling much better shortly.

First--I agree way too many vaccines given on one day--really would stress the immune system. I respectfully disagree about pre-treating with an anti-inflammatory drug-- that would stress the immune system even further.

Guest Maddison

She did have the dental shot yesterday and she is walking very stiffly today. I'll have to take her temp. to see if that's up but I don't really want to go invading her space right now. She's likely to snap at me she's so tender. Our vet neighbor next door said he had some Rimadyl we could try on her. I'll ask him for them to see if they help out. I'm very worried about her but I am hopeful it will get better with time. I'm going to give her as much quiet time today as I can. My son and I are out of here so she will sit still to recover.

Gracie reacted to horribly to the dental shot that we ended up at the e-vet. She screamed all night long. I will never let her have the dental vaccine again.

Now with any vaccine my vet will premedicate her.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Maddison

This morning she was still crying when she moved. I got her two pain medications and now almost 4 hours later she is letting me touch her arms without curling her lips. She did a tiny trot to her potty area so the walking is better, not as stiff in her gait. She is panting like crazy but that's most likely the medication. She is being spoiled rotten, she got a lunch today and she ate it all up, she has never gotten a lunch.

Guest Energy11

I would BET it is that dental shot! I have heard nothing but bad things about it, and yes, they gave wayyyy too many vaccines at once.

Hoping she continues improving! Sending lots of hugs and prayers!

Guest eaglflyt

This morning she was still crying when she moved. I got her two pain medications and now almost 4 hours later she is letting me touch her arms without curling her lips. She did a tiny trot to her potty area so the walking is better, not as stiff in her gait. She is panting like crazy but that's most likely the medication. She is being spoiled rotten, she got a lunch today and she ate it all up, she has never gotten a lunch.

Try to check her temperature. Just put her muzzle on her if you're afraid she may bite. If it's a vaccine reaction, a high temp can be really dangerous, as well as the reaction itself. Of course, since she's on Rimadyl her temp should be a bit lower due to the medication.

Please report this to your vet and have him/her report it to the company that makes the vaccine that seems to have caused the reaction. My bet is that it's the dental vaccine.

Even though you don't want to bother her, for her safety, please check her temperature ... or take her to your vet and let them do a follow-up exam since she's had such a bad time.

We had an E-vet visit, regular vet visits, and all kinds of meds and fluids given to help with Ady Bea's pain and fever. She became critically ill. Also, please consider not giving the dental vaccine again, if your vet feels the reaction is to that vaccine. When Ady Bea had her reaction, she had only the dental vaccine at the time. We knew it was the dental vaccine that caused the reaction.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Maddison

The crying stopped. She even had a little hop to her step this morning! Her tail is wagging again. She seems to have recovered. I cannot believe how horrible it was hearing her cry out in pain. I hated hearing her in pain and not knowing if it would stop. I am happy to say she is better now. She's back to laying out in the sun and shade in the back yard.

Guest dobiegrey

I would, by all means, say it was a reaction to the shots and tell your vet, so they can spread them out in the future!

So glad to hear she is better! What a tough time, though, managing through it.

We're done with vaccines for our two given the bad reactions they have both had. Bumper has an autoimmune condition now as a result (at least I am blaming it on this) of over vaccination right before we got him (developed a severe reaction shortly after a host of shots that is impairing him to this day). I am glad to hear Maddie is back on track though.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Mom2Shiloh

So glad she's getting back to normal. I'm done with vaccines for my dogs as well. They will need a rabies every 3 years, but I won't give that after 10, I'll just titre. The others will have titres once every 3 years and only vaccinate again if their immunity is low. My friend had her 3 mini-Dachshies to the vet for annual check ups and *she* got sick while she was there... while she was recovering-- the vet gave all three dogs all their vaccinations---- I am livid, all three of her pups are ill.