Training For Jogging?

Guest AlanT

Guest AlanT

Any advice for training a grey to run with me?

Our first grey will be with us soon. In time, I'd like to take him with me on some short runs. (I'm an ultra runner, but my training always includes short runs as well as long ones, and I'd be delighted if our grey could run with me on some short runs.)

I understand that I'll have to be sure that the dog's paws become conditioned for sidewalk and pavement surfaces, and that I'll have to make sure he's adequately hydrated. I recognize, too, that he will not be used to endurance running. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Alan

Take it slow and easy. As you probably know, greyhounds are sprinters, so you have to slowly built their endurance. Train during the cool parts of the day and cool the pup off after running and you should do well. You may have to adjust food consumption also to keep the greyhound from losing too much weight.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What do you consider a "small run"? With your knowledge of endurance, re-training your hound from a sprinter to a distance runner will be difficult, but not impossible. Soft pads, hydration, and distractions are all things to consider when training. I say distractions because if you are running, your hound is at a trot (if that) and a cat or rabbit darts by, your hound may just decide that this trotting crap is for the birds and launches into a sprint to catch said prey. So figure out a secure way of tethering for the run.

Chad

Guest K9Cookies

A crazy ultra-runner, huh?!? I'm running my second full marathon next weekend. :)

My husband built up to about 5 miles with Fixer a while back. I wouldn't recommend it for all of the greyhounds. You'll have to wait and see if you think your hound can manage the mileage. But, definitely start low and build up very slowly. We don't take the hounds out running now. They'd rather sleep on the couch while we are huffing and puffing. :lol

Guest AlanT

Take it slow and easy. As you probably know, greyhounds are sprinters, so you have to slowly built their endurance. Train during the cool parts of the day and cool the pup off after running and you should do well. You may have to adjust food consumption also to keep the greyhound from losing too much weight.

I do most of my shorter training runs in the early morning, so that would be the case when I run with the grey.

Hadn't thought of adjusting his food intake, though. Thanks for that!

Alan

What do you consider a "small run"?

A short run for me is anything between 5K and 20K.

Soft pads, hydration, and distractions are all things to consider when training. I say distractions because if you are running, your hound is at a trot (if that) and a cat or rabbit darts by, your hound may just decide that this trotting crap is for the birds and launches into a sprint to catch said prey. So figure out a secure way of tethering for the run.

That makes good sense. Thanks!

Alan

A crazy ultra-runner, huh?!? I'm running my second full marathon next weekend. :)

Good luck in your race!

I ran a marathon last Sunday, and will do a 50K ultra in mid-June. Then will do another couple of ultras in the fall.

My husband built up to about 5 miles with Fixer a while back. I wouldn't recommend it for all of the greyhounds. You'll have to wait and see if you think your hound can manage the mileage. But, definitely start low and build up very slowly.

Will do!

Alan

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Alan,

There is NO possibility that your hound could come close to a 5K right away, I would think that after months of training, 5K is about the limit of what they can be expected to be able to handle. Personally I have a hound that I do LGRA racing with and she gets 2 mile walks at least 4 times a week, at the end of the walks she is dragging behind. Of course as others have said, each hound is different. Think 10 minutes of jogging, then thats it, and that may be pushing it. Remember, their races are 40 seconds and less.

Guest NYChound

Hey Alan - I'm a distance runner too. We got our almost-3-year-old in February. I started with longer walks (3-4 miles) then added in the running to the mix when his paws adapted to NYC pavement. We now do 4-5 miles together 3 times a week. Doubt he's going to go much longer than that, and I want to keep it fun for him (and it is SO much fun to run with your greyhound - talk about a fast training partner!).

A few things: Watch how he reacts - we went from 1 to 2 to 3 miles pretty easily (over a few weeks). Mile 4 was a run/sniff/trot/walk for a while because he got tired, so I let him go at whatever pace seemed comfortable and fun until we could run the whole thing.

You'll probably make few stops for bathroom business and a few sniffing expeditions. So better to take him on easy run days, when you're not worried about pace. Also, as was mentioned, keep him on a short leash in case of squirrels, etc. I actually find he's less apt to suddenly sprint after squirrels when we're running together as opposed to walking -- I think it takes an effort for him to focus on the "trotting" so he's less distracted by small furry things.

When you start training him to run with you, he will want to go much faster than he can sustain for mileage (just like some runners I know!). So you'll have to keep him at a trot until he realizes he's going for distance, not speed.

And from what I've seen, not all greys like to run "distance." Depends on your dog. Just be aware of how he's reacting - I know we're having fun when my pup grabs the leash and playfully tugs like, "C'mon mom, you're slowing me down already!"

Let me know how it goes!

Guest KennelMom

Just keep in mind that not all greyhounds will enjoy it. I would venture to say most, but that might be over-reaching. I started jogging this year and out of our 18 hounds I would say only 2 enjoyed 5K jogs...and that's at a pretty slow pace of running that distance in about 35 minutes. Towards the end, one of them was definitely "over it" but the other could pretty much go forever I think. I suspect she's part lab :rolleyes::lol They did same "ramp up" as I did - the couch to 5K program.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Jubilee251

Good luck with that! I used to be a "serious" runner (marathons, no ultras), and haven't run any serious distance in the 5 months we've had Molly because 1) my free time is spent taking her on walks and to the dog park, and 2) she won't run with me!

I find myself doing a lot more speedwork/fartleks, but less distance, unfortunately (for me). Every dog is different - Molly just isn't interested in long, steady running. She'd rather do a bursting sprint chasing after something, and then stop and roll in the grass. :lol

Also, you might run into the same problem I did - Molly's trotting pace is too slow for my running, and her running pace is too fast for me. :P

Edited by Jubilee251

Make sure the black top you're running on is not HOT. You may not feel it thru your shoes, but they feel it even with their toughened up feet.

Also, be very very careful of the heat. Even if hydrated, several greys have succumbed to the heat just by walking, and they were used to being walked.

Guest cheltzey

I take Lando out jogging a few times a week, and try to judge by how he's doing. Some days he's done after a mile, but we've gone up to 2.5 miles in the month and a half that I've had him. I just do loops around the house so that I can drop him off when he seems done and I can still finish my run. I did 400m intervals (with 400 m of walking in between each) with him last night, and I thought he'd love it, but he was DONE after the second. I found that out after I was literally dragging him home on the third 400m. I'm doing a 5 mile run tonight, but he'll probably only do 2 miles of it with me. I think that consistency and slow increases is the key. I also check his pads consistently to make sure they're not raw.

Edited by cheltzey

Guest AlanT

There is NO possibility that your hound could come close to a 5K right away

I wouldn't think of asking that of him. I was thinking of very brief, slow jogs for quite a while.

Alan

We got our almost-3-year-old in February. I started with longer walks (3-4 miles) then added in the running to the mix when his paws adapted to NYC pavement. We now do 4-5 miles together 3 times a week.

Sounds good. What kind of pace does he do on those 3 to 4 mile runs?

A few things: Watch how he reacts - we went from 1 to 2 to 3 miles pretty easily (over a few weeks). Mile 4 was a run/sniff/trot/walk for a while because he got tired, so I let him go at whatever pace seemed comfortable and fun until we could run the whole thing.

That's helpful detail. Thanks!

When you start training him to run with you, he will want to go much faster than he can sustain for mileage (just like some runners I know!). So you'll have to keep him at a trot until he realizes he's going for distance, not speed.

That's doable. It's what i have to keep in mind for myself...

Let me know how it goes!

Will do!

Alan

Also, you might run into the same problem I did - Molly's trotting pace is too slow for my running, and her running pace is too fast for me. :P

That's OK. I need to slow down sometimes anyway.

Alan

Make sure the black top you're running on is not HOT. You may not feel it thru your shoes, but they feel it even with their toughened up feet.

No problem there. I run barefoot most of the time, so I pay attention to that kind of thing.

Also, be very very careful of the heat. Even if hydrated, several greys have succumbed to the heat just by walking, and they were used to being walked.

Alan

I take Lando out jogging a few times a week, and try to judge by how he's doing. Some days he's done after a mile, but we've gone up to 2.5 miles in the month and a half that I've had him... I'm doing a 5 mile run tonight, but he'll probably only do 2 miles of it with me. I think that consistency and slow increases is the key. I also check his pads consistently to make sure they're not raw.

Good points. Thanks!

Alan

Edited by AlanT

Just to emphasize the point: every year we hear about Greyhounds that die of heat stroke. They're much more sensitive to heat than most other dogs, so keep that in mind!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

One thing I'd recommend is a belt, and some way to secure the leash to the belt, like a carabiner. It helps keep the hands free, which may come in useful if you run into un-friendly dogs, or if you trip- even get knocked out or experience a medical problem. At the very least, you won't have a missing dog to have to worry about.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest jaws4evr

I jog with ours. Keep in mind that I'm pretty pathetic so a very slow pace 5-10k is all I really end up doing at the moment, with walk breaks.

Our hound is of a very slender build (very narrow rib cage, good muscle tone but a dainty little thing), and we keep her on the thinner side (2-3 ribs visible, hints of pin bones visible), so she doesn't have much extra weight to carry.

We've had her since November and she got sore feet just on walks for a while, she HATED walking over any type of gravel, but just through daily exploration her feet have toughened up without us even having to push the issue. She happily goes 5-10k with me, and isn't bothered by gravel or rough surfaces any more. I bring a portable water thingy with me but my adoption gropu told me not to give her much during (or right before) the run, since running with a flopping belly full of water isn't a good idea! So we give her a few laps just to keep her sweating properly, but often times she isn't interested in drinking when we're out anyways!

Also make sure your GH is injury free before commiting him/her to being a jogging partner.

Guest AlanT

I jog with ours. Keep in mind that I'm pretty pathetic so a very slow pace 5-10k is all I really end up doing at the moment, with walk breaks.

That sounds good to me. A slow 10K run with our grey would be pleasant.

through daily exploration her feet have toughened up without us even having to push the issue. She happily goes 5-10k with me, and isn't bothered by gravel or rough surfaces any more.

That reinforces what others have said - conditioning is key.

I bring a portable water thingy with me but my adoption gropu told me not to give her much during (or right before) the run, since running with a flopping belly full of water isn't a good idea! So we give her a few laps just to keep her sweating properly, but often times she isn't interested in drinking when we're out anyways!

That's good to know. Thanks!

Also make sure your GH is injury free before commiting him/her to being a jogging partner.

We expressed that preference to our adoption group, and that's what they looked for. We'll know more about him this weekend.

Alan

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dogs don't sweat, they lack sweat glands to be able to do this. They transfer heat by panting as well as their paws have a heat transfer system as well. This is why heat stroke is an issue with a dog that has the muscle density of a greyhound that can generate so much heat in a short period of time.