Straining To Pee

Ducky has been acting not quite right this morning. We went for a normal walk, but toward the end he kept stopping to pee on everything, but nothing was coming out. This is not like him since at the end of our walks he usually trots right back without stopping to sniff everything once he's empty. He ate & drank normally, but has been roaming around the yard, still "peeing" a lot but nothing is coming out. He was very restless & panting, but it is very hot out. He also yelped when he jumped on the couch. I got him to come back inside and he is now resting & not panting, so I'm not thinking e-vet, but I'm going to stay home for at least an hour to watch him & call the regular vet. Any ideas? He did eat something in the yard this morning, but I'm not sure what it was (could've been poop). I've just never seen him feel like had to pee so much after peeing all morning! :dunno

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Nope, nothing unusual, a bit longer walks this weekend, but nothing too strenuous. And he's always been a long pee-er, but never really peed with nothing coming out like this.

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo

Guest mcsheltie

UTI Have you ever had one? You feel you have to go all the time. Even when nothing is there. Pain and burning is also associated with it. I would get to your vet.

I have a vet appt. at 1. He's resting comfortably now, so I don't feel like I need to go to the e-vet. But hopefully our appointment today will give some answers, my poor boy. :(

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this!

Yep, the vet. Oakly is prone to UTIs and when he gets his, his behavior is just like this. The lonnngggg pees, the straining, and the crying, and lots of licking his "boy parts," too.

Most likely, your boy has the same, and it is easily treated!

Good luck this afternoon!

We've started him on an antibiotic & anti-inflammatory. We are waiting for the urinalysis results and hopefully it is just a UTI. When I caught a sample today there was a little bit of blood in it. :( Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm worried about my little boy, but he is acting okay otherwise :thumbs-up

I wonder if straight cranberry juice (no added sugar/juice) added to his water would get some symptom relief while the drugs kick in? Personally, I can say it helps ward UTI's off. Baking soda in water also helps but I doubt he'd drink that.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm betting on just a UTI. Good job catching the signs -- sometimes they are so subtle. Fingers crossed for quick healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ouch! Sounds uncomfortable to say the least. Hope it's just a UTI and he feels better soon! :):goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.