Robin Has Sensitive Skin

Poor Robin! For the last few weeks he's had scaly patches on the backs of his ears and red bumps on the insides of his legs and belly. I took him to the vet, ruled out mange, and she put him on antibiotics (Simplicef) for 3 weeks. Well, we've now finished 2 weeks worth of antibiotics and his skin hasn't improved at all. He's been licking himself like crazy. So I took him back to the vet today and she literally went over him with a fine tooth comb and didn't find the first flea or flea poop. I don't think it's a flea allergy. So now he's on a course of prednisone and 3 more weeks of antibiotics.

I brought him home, gave him a bath with ivory soap (figured we should start fresh since his fur was matted and icky from all the licking) and gave him his first dose of prednisone. Hope it works.

Anyone else have a hound with sensitive skin?

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest TeddysMom

You might want to try a leave on conditioner called ResiCort. I have several dogs with ongoing skin issues and this stuff has been a real blessing. You can order it online at a couple of different pet supply places. Revival Vet Supply Company has their on version of it but I haven't tried that brand yet.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/6617-ResiCORT-Leave-On-Lotion.aspx

You might want to try a leave on conditioner called ResiCort. I have several dogs with ongoing skin issues and this stuff has been a real blessing. You can order it online at a couple of different pet supply places. Revival Vet Supply Company has their on version of it but I haven't tried that brand yet.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/6617-ResiCORT-Leave-On-Lotion.aspx

Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds like good stuff!

Do you use this is a precaution to help prevent skin flare ups?

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest TeddysMom

I do a shampoo then put the conditioner on all over at first then I apply to the irritated patches everyday until they clear up. If a new spot appears, I apply to that area. It has always seemed to work better than the cortisone sprays and doesn't make their coats stiff or gummy.

Wayne has very sensitive skin on top of allergies. About a month or so before we left the desert, I had my vet take a good look at him and he also has Seborrhea.

Easily cleared up but it was just one more thing to add to the list.

The dry desert climate did wonders for his allergies so I'm hoping the humidity here doesn't cause a set back for him

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TeddysMom

When we moved to MO from FL, it seemed that the dogs that had skin issues no longer have them and a couple that had never had any skin problems developed them. I think it has to be the different plants that grow here.

May want to bathe with Ketachlor shampoo--works really well for my allergy boy--I bathe him every 7-10 days. You might want to get him on an antihistamine--I use Chlortrimeton with my itchy guy--he gets 8mgs twice daily.

Have you ruled out corn, wheat and soy from his food? Any other possible food allergens (which could be anything! :rolleyes )?

Happy had a rashy bumpy area, mostly on her lower chest. We deduced that most surfaces seemed to irritate it, especially grass, so she wore a cotton tee-shirt or some such all the time. What cleared it completely though was adding Rescue Cream (same folks who brought you Rescue Remedy), a bit on the affected areas once a day.

Hope you all can find some simple relief soon!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Avril has the same thing. I bathe her in an prescription medicated oatmeal based shampoo that you leave on for 20minutes. It really does help. I also make sure she gets enough fish oil in her food. these two things help to alleviate the itchies as much as possible.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Sage has recently started licking and itching herself a lot lately. I think it's an allergy caused by the food i had put her on. But she's on day 3 of a new grain-free diet so I hope to see improvement soon. I have no idea how long after switching it will take. I'm glad to see other suggestions here just in case she continues to scratch.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars