Need Input On Osteo Treatment Options

Guest EmbersDad

All 3 of mine had amputation and chemo so I can't answer some of your questions. If Neyla is an ex-racer, she would qualify for free chemo from OSU. You would still need to pay for the administration of the drug which is not trivial. I did not go that route since OSU would provide doxorubicin and I wanted to treat with carboplatin. For us, 4 rounds of carbo came to approx $2K per dog.

OSU supplied both doxy & carboplatin for ember. i chose amputation, and she managed quite well, even ran with althea at the dog park. sadly, osteo had other ideas and her lungs filled with tumors and i was given maybe 2 weeks with meds. i chose to release her. this happened right before the 5th chemo treatment.

Wow Jen...that is REALLY interesting, thanks for sharing that information :) Re: patients breaking at the radiation site - I wonder if something like Fosamax could help to counteract that? That sounds VERY cool and like it might be a good option for you, if you can get your head around the cost. Is there maybe some sort of a study going on? Or maybe OSU can somehow help supplement the cost of it if you'll provide them with the information about it for their research (that reminds me, I need to find out how to send a DNA sample to them from Sutra).

Fosamax is already a part of the treatment (they actually prefer injectable for better efficacy) so unfortunately I don't think there's any improving on that 25% just yet.

A mini-update: Thanks in part to Winslow's mom, I have an appt with a radiation oncologist at a specialty hospital here on Monday morning, when I hope I can finally get answers to all of my questions so that I can make a decision. In the meantime, I am hoping to spend the weekend not giving it much thought. I think I am finally accepting that this is happening to us. Today is the first day that I can think or talk about it without breaking down and so far, I've been able to have a nice normal morning with the pups. Monday will be a big day - I have a strong gut feeling that my choice is going to be to do palliative care and I know I'm going to have to go through this whole process of acceptance again if I do, but we'll see. Mostly I want to make a decision so that I can move forward being positive for Neyla.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry for Neyla's diagnosis.sad.gif My girl Liath had a bone tumor in her shoulder, high up near her spine. She was 11 & terrified of the vet & I knew I wouldn't amputate. I did take her for radiation & it shrunk the tumor & relieved some of her limping. She surprised me at how well she handled the visits - no major freakouts at all. She was on metacam, tramadol, gabapentin, pepcid & sucralfate. We did one fosamax treatment but during the second she got very stressed. The oncologist & OSU did not recommend chemo without amputation so we didn't do that. She had four months between diagnosis & the bridge but she had been limping for a while previous to that (I thought it was one of her recurring corns). I'm glad I did what I did & I hope she was too. I was surprised at her strength - but I shouldn't have been - she was a wonderful girl.

Best wishes for you & Neyla. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest MorganKonaAlex

All 3 of mine had amputation and chemo so I can't answer some of your questions. If Neyla is an ex-racer, she would qualify for free chemo from OSU. You would still need to pay for the administration of the drug which is not trivial. I did not go that route since OSU would provide doxorubicin and I wanted to treat with carboplatin. For us, 4 rounds of carbo came to approx $2K per dog.

OSU supplied both doxy & carboplatin for ember.

Interesting... I specifically asked if they would supply carboplatin and they said no, only doxorubicin. Since Morgan had 3 good years after having carboplatin, I wanted to stick with it.

Re: side effects of chemo: The dog doses are lower than they give people. Dogs don't usually experience as many GI issues as people. None of mine had vomiting or diarrhea. Morgan and Demon had 4 rounds of carboplatin. Both of them were lazy greyhounds and not good eaters, They were a bit lethargic for a few days and had decreased appetite after a treatment. Alex had an alternating protocol of doxorubicin and carboplatin. He was a good eater. He was down for a few days after doxorubicin but no noticible side effects after carboplatin. I think carboplatin is a bit easier. I do have some bias here though since I had doxorubicin myself and it kicked my ass.

Wow Jen...that is REALLY interesting, thanks for sharing that information :) Re: patients breaking at the radiation site - I wonder if something like Fosamax could help to counteract that? That sounds VERY cool and like it might be a good option for you, if you can get your head around the cost. Is there maybe some sort of a study going on? Or maybe OSU can somehow help supplement the cost of it if you'll provide them with the information about it for their research (that reminds me, I need to find out how to send a DNA sample to them from Sutra).

Fosamax is already a part of the treatment (they actually prefer injectable for better efficacy) so unfortunately I don't think there's any improving on that 25% just yet.

A mini-update: Thanks in part to Winslow's mom, I have an appt with a radiation oncologist at a specialty hospital here on Monday morning, when I hope I can finally get answers to all of my questions so that I can make a decision. In the meantime, I am hoping to spend the weekend not giving it much thought. I think I am finally accepting that this is happening to us. Today is the first day that I can think or talk about it without breaking down and so far, I've been able to have a nice normal morning with the pups. Monday will be a big day - I have a strong gut feeling that my choice is going to be to do palliative care and I know I'm going to have to go through this whole process of acceptance again if I do, but we'll see. Mostly I want to make a decision so that I can move forward being positive for Neyla.

I think that's a very good, level-headed attitude, Jen. The clarity will come, as much as the facts of this disease just plain suck, you will find a peace with yourself and with Neyla. Bummer that with the Fosamax that the number is still 25%. I hope that you can get some good information on Monday that will help you get closer to making a decision that works for you. :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Oh Jen I am so sorry to see this post, I have been away and just got back to GT (because I needed some advice) and did a double take when I spotted your name here :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.