Adams Flea & Tick Mist

I've been searching the past posts about Adams.......bought some and I it sounds like everyone just sprays the dogs with it. But, I'm wondering do I need to rub it in? Could I spray some on a paper towel and wipe them with it so none goes into their eyes?

When I use it I'll take Tank out and just mist him down. I make sure I cover his eyes and try not to get it on his nose and mouth. I know the directions say to basically soak them but I prefer to just give him a light mist and let it dry on him.

Guest Energy11

We do it here every seven days. You mist it all over their bodies, ... paying particular attention to their bellies, legs, under their tails, their tails, and feet. I, personally, then, spray the stuff on my hands, and rub INSIDE their ears, on their ears, and around on their faces. YES, you do need to keep it out of their eyes.

Even though the primary ingredient in Adams, Pyrethrins, is safe for humans, dogs and cats, be SURE to wash your hands afterward.

Good luck! The stuff works!

Thank you for the insight.....Now, I feel comfortable in knowing how to apply Adams. And, really glad to know that it can not harm my kids...Zoe, Calvin and Jackie (my new foster....a greyhound mix)!

I bought a bottle a few weeks ago and did a mist treatment on the dogs. I noticed two things, 1) it really smells awful, very perfume-y with chemical undertones (not surprised about the chemical smell) and, 2) it really dulled their coats and made them feel awful, not smooth and silky anymore, but gummy. Did I do something wrong? I sprayed it, rubbed it in and then sprayed it on my hands and ran my hands along their legs and undersides. It was the water-based Adams.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

Doesn't SOUND like you did anything wrong. I am using up the rest of my regular, non water-based Adams, so I can't tell you about the water-based, yet. Yes, it does have a "weird odor," but here, I only notice it for a day, tops, and it is gone, OR, I am used to it.

RE: their coats ... still shiney as ever, so I am not sure what to say, except, maybe you are using too much, or spraying too close? Hard to say, but look at the ugly, grimey, greasy residue left by spot ons like Frontline? I guess there is no REALLY GREAT product out there that doesn't leave SOMETHING behind. mad.gif

Good Luck. The stuff DOES work, though.

Well, now I'm wondering if I used too much or if it's the nature of the water-based version.

I confess, after using it and it gummed them up, I haven't used it since, but I still have it.

After reading about how well lavender works, I'm trying lavender right now. I bought a regular lavender essential oil spray and some lavender moisturizer (with real lavender, not a man-made version of lavender). I admit, I am not confident that it will work as we head into the heart of flea season. The lavender spray does not leave them feeling gummy, but they do sort of smell like little old ladies for a few hours :lol I use the moisturizer on their undersides and insides of their legs.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest Energy11

Well, now I'm wondering if I used too much or if it's the nature of the water-based version.

I confess, after using it and it gummed them up, I haven't used it since, but I still have it.

After reading about how well lavender works, I'm trying lavender right now. I bought a regular lavender essential oil spray and some lavender moisturizer (with real lavender, not a man-made version of lavender). I admit, I am not confident that it will work as we head into the heart of flea season. The lavender spray does not leave them feeling gummy, but they do sort of smell like little old ladies for a few hours lol.gif I use the moisturizer on their undersides and insides of their legs.

Mine never get "gummed up," so maybe it IS the water-based. I have NO problems with the original formula, and they do fine with it. Next time, you might want to just try the original formula. I read about the lavendar too. Please let us know how it works! smile.gif

After reading about how well lavender works, I'm trying lavender right now. I bought a regular lavender essential oil spray and some lavender moisturizer (with real lavender, not a man-made version of lavender). I admit, I am not confident that it will work as we head into the heart of flea season. The lavender spray does not leave them feeling gummy, but they do sort of smell like little old ladies for a few hours lol.gif I use the moisturizer on their undersides and insides of their legs.

Mine never get "gummed up," so maybe it IS the water-based. I have NO problems with the original formula, and they do fine with it. Next time, you might want to just try the original formula. I read about the lavendar too. Please let us know how it works! smile.gif

If you get the water based version, I'd love to hear how it works for you in terms of their fur. Maybe I just used too much!

Guest Energy11

If you get the water based version, I'd love to hear how it works for you in terms of their fur. Maybe I just used too much!

Will do! I have it, actually, and this Wed., when I "Adams" the dogs, I will let you know :))

Guest eaglflyt

The fleas in our area must be resistant to the Adams Spray Mist. We tried both types on our dogs and it didn't work. I even sprayed it on a flea I found and the flea just kept swimming in it and hopped away. We're back to using Frontline Plus, Advantage, or Comfortis for the dogs. Preventic collars for tick control. I was really hopeful the Adams would work for us, but the central Oklahoma fleas must be totally resistant. :(

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Energy11

The fleas in our area must be resistant to the Adams Spray Mist. We tried both types on our dogs and it didn't work. I even sprayed it on a flea I found and the flea just kept swimming in it and hopped away. We're back to using Frontline Plus, Advantage, or Comfortis for the dogs. Preventic collars for tick control. I was really hopeful the Adams would work for us, but the central Oklahoma fleas must be totally resistant. sad.gif

My friend in Florida has A VERY VERY BAD flea infestation, and the Adams isn't helping her either. I just don't know WHAT the answer is, as I have never had this problem. I wish you THE BEST of luck with your "pests!"

Guest KennelMom

I've used both kinds and find they both stink and the smell really lingers. One version makes their coat feel gross...can't recall which one (water based or not). We have a lot of self-groomers and I worry about the dogs licking the chemicals off their fur and ingesting it, esp on a regular basis, so Adams is only an "emergency" sort of application for us...usually for incoming fosters or visitors if I don't have any capstar on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So far so good with the lavender moisturizer and lavender essential oil spray. Carl seemed flea-itchy last weekend, but I couldn't find any on him, but I did a "lavender treatment" on both dogs just in case. Carl stopped itching right away. They get their furry bits misted and their bare undercarriages get the moisturizer. I'm probably jinxing it just by writing about it, we've had such mild weather all year. This weekend will be one of the first with temps in the 80s, which is when the fleas seem to "wake up". In case it fails, I reluctantly bought some Frontline TopSpot. I only use it once every 3 months, only use 1/2 dose on each dog and only use it in the summer months. I hate putting chemicals on them and this reduced amount and schedule seems to work well. Hopefully, I won't need it. :goodluck

• 3 months later...