Did I Do The Right Thing?

I'm a pet sitter and I'm staying with 3 greyhounds plus my grey and my foster grey. 1 of the 3 that aren't mine is epileptic, but hasn't had a seizure in over a year. Well I was preparing dinner for the hounds, my foster was in his crate, and I went in the pantry for olive oil. I turned around and Ben was having a seizure. (They have been changing his meds). He was really tense with a bit of a tremble. He was having trouble standing but fought me when I tried to help him lay down. So I just stood there hugging and loving on him and talking calmly to him while he leaned on me. He stargted to get lower so I got him to lie down with his head in my lap and kept loving on him and talking to him. I also kept the other dogs from crowding him, 1 did a little nip but ran off when I scolded him. The whole thing lasted a few minutes and sat with his head in my lap for a little while then when he seemed to be better we got upand everyone ate.

Is there anything I could have done differently? Or is that all I could have done?

I have no seizure experience with dogs, but you kept him safe, I would think that's the important thing.

Good job

I'm sure those with experience can tell you more

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

You handled it VERY WELL! The people for whom you are sitting, maybe should have a pre-loaded syringe of liquid Valium ... JUST IN CASE! Stops the seizures dead, and helps the dog, as well. I have it here for Curfew, even though I am STILL not convinced he has seizures.

No matter, "You Done Good!" Trust me, I know about these things! Cudos to you! Love, Dee smile.gif

You did just fine. You can't stop the seizure once it starts so the only thing you can do is make sure the pup is safe because as you saw, some greyhounds will try and attack the seizing dog. If they're adjusting the meds, that's probably what brought the seizure on. Depending on the medication, you can give an extra dose to try and keep the dog from going into clusters. If the dog is on phenobarbital for an example, you can give an extra pill. Just call the people who own the dog and ask whether you should give extra meds or not.

If the dog has more seizures, you may end up at the e-vet because clusters (more than 1 seizure in a short period of time) can be very dangerous.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

thanks everyone. He gets his meds with dinner, so he got it like 5 minutes after his seizure. I actually called the owners daughter while the seizure was still happening (her number is programmed in my phone) and she said that there was nothing I could do, but its been over a year since the last seizure, so I'm keeping an extra eye on him, but hopefully it won't happen again soon. I appreciate all the words of encouragement, I don't. Have too much seizure experience, I just know to stay calm.

Guest Energy11

thanks everyone. He gets his meds with dinner, so he got it like 5 minutes after his seizure. I actually called the owners daughter while the seizure was still happening (her number is programmed in my phone) and she said that there was nothing I could do, but its been over a year since the last seizure, so I'm keeping an extra eye on him, but hopefully it won't happen again soon. I appreciate all the words of encouragement, I don't. Have too much seizure experience, I just know to stay calm.

As a retired street paramedic, I CAN tell you, ... staying CALM in an emergency situation, is THE MOST important thing, ... and, you did it! :-))

Guest Lovey_Hounds

You did Great! i groom a few seizure dogs and actually had a dog have one on my grooming table on thursday, its scary but staying calm and doing what you can to keep the dog safe is all you can do.

This is my first time watching these guys. I'm actually staying at the couples house. The seizure dog is their moms, but is here very often. My guess is that the medicine change coupled with the excitement of dinnertime with all these dogs made him seize. He seems to be doing fine now.

Guest MyBoys

I have a seizure boy now, I had 2 others that suffered seizures and yes, you did the right thing. My main concern always is to keep him from getting hurt if and when he has a seizure and to make sure my other 2 boys leave him alone. He is almost 12 but even now when I go out he is baby gated in a safe room, we have stairs so I am always worried about him being on the stairs and having a seizure plus I want to make sure the other 2 boys can't get to him if he has a seizure.

You handled it VERY WELL! The people for whom you are sitting, maybe should have a pre-loaded syringe of liquid Valium ... JUST IN CASE! Stops the seizures dead, and helps the dog, as well. I have it here for Curfew, even though I am STILL not convinced he has seizures.

No matter, "You Done Good!" Trust me, I know about these things! Cudos to you! Love, Dee smile.gif

I know it's off-topic, but I just wanted to say this:

Dee, you are SO SUPPORTIVE! I have noticed this in the past, on other threads, but just wanted to let you know. While it does not apply to me specifically, I want to let you know that I, at least, appreciate it! :):grouphug

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Energy11

I know it's off-topic, but I just wanted to say this:

Dee, you are SO SUPPORTIVE! I have noticed this in the past, on other threads, but just wanted to let you know. While it does not apply to me specifically, I want to let you know that I, at least, appreciate it! smile.gifgrouphug.gif

Why, Thank You! I MEAN everything I say, though, and it is ULTRA COOL when "lay people" keep their cool and handle things soooooooooo well! THAT is one of THE MOST important things one can do in ANY emergency!

Thanks again! DEE

Thank you for the encouragement!! Ben did not have any more seizures while I was watching him. The 2 other dogs that I was watching did get into a small scuffle and the male had to go to the e-vet and get some stitches. I'm guessing they aren't going to hire me again lol. Thankfully, the fight was relatively small and so were the wounds, but they were around the eye and he some skin flapping from his eyebrow. His eye was fine and he was a trooper. It was quite a weekend.

I am just seeing this thread now and am very impressed at how you handled this situation. We've never had experience with a seizure dog, but I will try to remember what you did in case it happens. Staying calm and protecting the pup from the others - good to know.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy