New Issue With Tucker

Guest Dragonmom

Guest Dragonmom

Tucker hates other dogs.if he so much as hears the neighbour dogs he goes nuts running barking through the house. They we nice enough to build there fence right beside our house and in fact the wall of our house is there fence. if we are out side walking and he sees another dog he goes wild barking and lunging at it. Which in turn if i have the girls with me gets them riled up. I know Winnie often doesn't like other dogs dogs but she will just growl and sometimes bark. Why is the 65lb dog easier to manage than the 10lb dog? The only thing i can think of is muzzling him when we go out cause is submissive when its on.

I muzzle Fletcher when we go for walks because he also goes nuts if we see other dogs, and since he can't get to them, he would try to take it out on the girls :rolleyes:. It has helped, yesterday we saw other dogs three different times, and he only reacted once.

Of course, he weighs about 80 lbs more than Tucker :lol

Please don't take this the wrong way... but are you hoping that someone here will tell you it's ok to rehome him? You have made a few "desperation" threads now and I know you are moving soon and are also wanting to adopt another grey.

I have a very hard to deal with dog. It is an issue that I deal with. I don't wish it on anyone but it is something I have to deal with. I think you are moving in 2 days to an apartment right? Are you or are your kids going to walk the dogs? At least there you won't have the yard issue.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Dragonmom

the wall of your house is there fence !! Is your house right on the property line?

no its not actually :angryfire I guess no one was living here when her dad built the fence for them and it is actually about 2 feet over on our lot. not to happy about it and the response from the "lady" of the house was to go f**k my self cause she wasn't moving her fing fence. That is what she said when i asked about moving it. we weren't even going to ask/make them pay for the new fence.

Sounds to me like your dog needs some training. That's not a criticism, just a simple fact. Lots of dogs need work on stuff. If he's dog-aggressive - you CAN work on that. To me it really doesn't matter where your fence is. That's not the issue - your dog's response to other dogs is the issue.

I'd start out with a simple obediance class. Before joining, make sure to tell the instructor your issues. It'll be a good bonding experience for both of you, your dog will get acclimated to being around other dogs, and he might learn a bit of general obedience in the process (but the sit, stay, whatever, is a bonus). The socialization is the main key.

Guest Dragonmom

Sounds to me like your dog needs some training. That's not a criticism, just a simple fact. Lots of dogs need work on stuff. If he's dog-aggressive - you CAN work on that. To me it really doesn't matter where your fence is. That's not the issue - your dog's response to other dogs is the issue.

I'd start out with a simple obediance class. Before joining, make sure to tell the instructor your issues. It'll be a good bonding experience for both of you, your dog will get acclimated to being around other dogs, and he might learn a bit of general obedience in the process (but the sit, stay, whatever, is a bonus). The socialization is the main key.

i would love to take him to classes but there are NONE. i wish i still lived in the city and we would be signed up for pet smart puppy classes. I happen to be "lucky" enough to live in a town of 4000 people and no classes at all.

Guest PhillyPups

I would suggest getting some books and learn to train him yourself.

Has he been neutered yet? That could also help behavior. I am with Beth on this one.

If he has behavior issues, how is he going to be with your bringing a new greyhound in to your home??

I second what Beth said. How will he be meeting other dogs in the hallway/common area?

Guest Dragonmom

I would suggest getting some books and learn to train him yourself.

Has he been neutered yet? That could also help behavior. I am with Beth on this one.

If he has behavior issues, how is he going to be with your bringing a new greyhound in to your home??

I second what Beth said. How will he be meeting other dogs in the hallway/common area?

He is getting neutered next month :) As for bringing in a new greyhound , thats moving a little faster than i expected. He gets along great with Winnie and Bella. Its just dogs that aren't ours that we have an issue with. I'm seriously having thoughts that Tucker isn't the right fit for us, but i'm doing my best to work this out and make sure he is and other dogs are safe around him. I'm not just going to throw him away cause he is to much work. When Tucker came yo live with me my life was vastly different. I have had to make many changes that i never thought i would have to do in such a short time. Hind sight is great :angry: in the fact that if i knew then what i know now i would have never gotten Tucker.

Guest dragontearz

I would push the fence issue-they should have made sure it was on their property before they built it- if it goes too long, it might cross into imminent domain territory-it's their fault, I would demand it taken down and moved or to be compensated for them infringing on your property...if you rent, it's the landlords problem, but if your selling, the new people would need to know or it could cause them headaches down the road.

Edited by dragontearz

Guest kydie

I thnk you need a lawyer for your fence issue, in the state of Pa if a person maintains an area for 21 years, they now own it under squwaters rights, been there already, :angryfire

If it makes you feel better... our 82 lbs. grey Bonny does the same thing. :rolleyes: Luckily, our neighbors don't have dogs, but she will bark at their cat if he's outside. She also barks and lunges if she sees other dogs (non-greys) on walks. When walking, I jerk her towards me and scold her. Sometimes it works... sometimes not. Luckily, she's a good dog otherwise and perfectly fine (and quiet) around other greyhounds.

As for your fence issue... sounds like you need a lawyer. The fact that the neighbors have a fence on your property can cause issues when its time to sell the house. My brother had to deal with this - luckily his neighbor was my grandfather who transferred the land over to my brother.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

The fence issue isn't that big of a deal. I am a surveyor/engineer and simply having a fence up for "x" number of years does not determine property rights, it simply is one requirement for adverse possession. There are other requirements (3 minimum which I wont bore you with the details), since you have already informed them that the fence is on your property, they can no longer claim adverse possession. If in fact you are selling, simply put a note on the survey that shows the fence and state that you informed the installer of the fence that it was on your property, and not authorized to be installed in said location, although you may have title issues with a disputed fence location. But then again, when you get a survey of the property, you may be suprised to see where the surveyor thinks the property line is. Of course all this is "US" law, Canada law is probably different.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Dragonmom

i'm not to worried about the fence issue as it isn't my issue any more after tomorrow. When my now ex bf split up he said he wanted the house and i told him he could have it as i was planning on moving out anyway.

Guest dragontearz

ah, his problem then!...the barking issue, I'm not sure on-my old roommates greyhound ALWAYS barks-any door knock whether in real life or on tv, and dog bark, she went nuts and still does..not fun when she lives in a condo with units on either side, and most people in the neighborhood that walk by own dogs...she's had her 7 years now and still hasn't been able to break her of the habit.