Ticks

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

So....Roo is basking at the Lake "Up North" for the summer.....Summer isn't starting so well in Northern Minnesota....it snowed 2 inches yesterday....anyway :lol .....

The area we live in is high risk Lyme area...both my husband and our other dog, Buck, got TBD last year......Both dogs have had the Lyme vaccine...but the area also has a high risk of Anaplasmosis....which cant be vaccinated against.

Whenever it does warm up.....I want a natural tick repellent for Roo. Front-line still lets the ticks attach....we pull them off Buck daily....he is a Spaniel and running through brush and the woods all day.

Roo is NOT that adventurous...and is on her leash. I try to avoid tall grass and bushes...but it is impossible....she still gets ticks.

I have heard Rose geranium oil....or lemon oil...or add garlic to their food...BUT

does any natural remedy actually work?

We tried the Rose geranium on Buck.....still have ticks. :dunno

Any thoughts????? Thanks guys!

Guest FoxHollowFarm

I use Bug Off Garlic Chewables from SpringTime

www.springtimeinc.com

I do not live in a heavily infested tick area, so I can not say if they would work in your neck of the woods... so far so good and the hounds love them.

Good Luck,

Fox Hollow Farm

Guest Energy11

ADAMS FLEA AND TICK MIST HERE!

The Greyts have been tick-free. We humans have found a few on us. With the ABOVE NORMAL heat here lately, we have ticks! Dogs don't! eek.gif

Adams is made from Pyretherins, which is made from the oil of the Chrysanthemum flower. (*Learned this from the A&E show, " Billy the Exterminator!" ... Safe for us and our furry friends, but deadly to insects!

Never know what you are going to learn from a Reality Show! lol.gif

Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Linda- you can get Adam's spray at WalMart and it's pretty inexpensive

I started using it last Fall- skipped the winter

I just frontlined (only once in the spring) so need to wait 30 days and then I spray them with Adam's every Sunday

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Energy11

I just frontlined (only once in the spring) so need to wait 30 days and then I spray them with Adam's every Sunday

I only "Adams," and we do it every Sat. smile.gif

I do like Frontline, though. Just don't need it with the Adams, at least here.

I only "Adams," and we do it every Sat. smile.gif

I do like Frontline, though. Just don't need it with the Adams, at least here.

Yeah, I only did the FL because we went to GIG, I had some left from last year.

I won't use it again and just the Adam's

Also, I'm sensitive to smell and that Adam's spray bothers me but only the first few days after spraying it but I didn't want to smell that on my 20 hour drive to GIG :lol

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest kydie

I vote with GeorgeONe, and for me I don't take a chance,, I know it woudl be nice to find something that works and I mean works, I think yes, chemicals are not good, but neither is putting a pup through TBD treatment either Just me here

I haven't tried the Preventic collars but have heard they work well.

My route would probably be to try the Frontline spray rather than the spot-on. I think it improves coverage.

Ticks are really hard to kill. Takes chemicals and if there are a lot in the environment, yeah, some might attach before they die. On the Frontlined dogs here, I've occasionally found a sad, flat, unattached tick but no plump happy feeding ones.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.