Now Officially Concerned

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Hi all -

As I mentioned before, I've taken a new job where I'm currently working from home and have been since late March. I'll be moving into our office on or about June 1st. The bad thing is that Italy has gotten way too used to me being home all the time. Her separation anxiety is now worse than it was even right after I first got her. She's not destructive, but she'll whine, yelp, and bark repeatedly. I'll leave for a couple hours and she'll be whining and come home and I can hear her barking from the garage. I live in a condo and my neighbors upstairs (who have been great and love Italy) have a right to start getting a little annoyed. I need help on how to squash.

I talked to my vet (on the board of GO) yesterday and she said that we should get a short book called "I'll Be Home Soon: How to Treat and Prevent Separation Anxiety." I'm having it express shipped so I hope to have it Monday or Tuesday. You can't get it in stores so I had to get it online.

I was gone for a couple hours today. We had gone out in the am and she did her business. I left her with a rawhide dental treat and a full kong and I came home to barking and she had pooped on the floor. I don't know what it is, but it's starting to be a major concern. It's like she's completely regressed to when I first got her, but worse. And this is only in regards to SA, so I don't want to seem like I'm talking badly about her. She's just near-perfect until I can get this fixed.

Here are some of the things I've tried that have failed:

* Left my bedroom door open so she can sleep on my bed if it makes her feel more secure.

* Put her in my room and closed the door--subsequently pooped on the floor

* Closed all doors so she doesn't have so much space to intimidate her

* Given her a kong or rawhide treat and/or both

* Spray bottle and loud noise treatment per Sue P.

* Left for 5 mins and came back, left for 10 mins and came back, etc. and so on.

* Left a t-shirt of mine on her bed

* Scolded her by saying "NO" when I come in and she's barking

* Had another dog (Taffy) here with her

I've still got the calming chews and spray that I can try, though that seems like nothing at this point. We've thought about getting another hound but I need to get this nipped in the bud before that. But for some reason she's perfect when we're here but just freaks out when I leave.

I've never crated her. I had the crate but she would not go in it. The only time she would go in the crate was when she needed to pee :) So I don't think that bringing the crate out is going to help after her having the run of the place for the last 10 months.

Last week I was down in my garage and I had left my condo and pulled the door about 90% of the way shut. The only way you could get in was if you pushed it kind of hard. I was fiddling with something in my car with the garage door open and I see something out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, Italy is standing there in the garage. It scared the hell out of me. I didn't know what to do, so I turned around and started to run back inside. She followed me until she saw the open car door and jumped inside. Yes, it is my fault for not closing the door, but I was shocked that she somehow found a way to open it. I honestly have no idea how she did it, but lesson learned.

I need help!

Guest SuperiorItaly

And I just went down to the garage for literally 10 mins and came back up to a puddle in the kitchen accompanied by barking and whining.

* Put her in my room and closed the door--subsequently pooped on the floor

That one was predictable. Most dogs really do not like being in a room with a closed door -- even those without SA might react similarly. Only a few dogs feel secure in that situation.

* Spray bottle and loud noise treatment per Sue P.

Not sure what this is? Usually doesn't help to punish the dog for making noise.

* Scolded her by saying "NO" when I come in and she's barking

She doesn't know what you're NOing her about. Could make her more apprehensive about your coming/going.

I haven't read the book but have heard really good things about it so suspect it will help.

One thing worth noting: When you do the leave for 5 minutes, leave for 10, etc. -- If dog is making noise, pottying, or otherwise disturbed at your leaving for 5 minutes, you aren't ready to go on to 10 (well, you might be :lol but she isn't). Usually when I do leaving exercises, I start out by leaving for 3-5 minutes, coming back for 3-5 minutes, and spend 45 minutes to an hour repeating that sequence; no special attention to the dog, just matter of fact. I also make sure I really leave -- most dogs I know *will* go nuts if you're hiding on the porch/doorstep, in the garage (assuming your garage is attached), etc. So I get in the car and drive around the block or so.

Also worth noting that if dog is anxious, best to go out for potty quite shortly before you leave and right after you get back. We generally do this even with our non-anxious, long-time dogs until we can trust them when they indicate, "Nope, just went, don't need to go again anytime soon."

Many hugs and best luck. I know how much you love your pupper and really hope you and she can work things out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

do you have a friend or someone who you can pay or barter with to take italy part of the time? or hire a dog walker?

my freind who left the area had a grey w/ horrid seperation anxiety. she even broke the door & it's window and cut herself quite badly trying to get out one time. other times she managed to turn the key and open the door and wander. i picked her up on one of the wandering ventures. i ended up helping by taking the pup for part of the day when she was really bad and electrical storms made things even worse. she was able to really get tired and then go back and sleep when i left for work.

my friend tried dap diffuser,xanax(sp?) harp music(it slows the heart), rescue remedy. what seemed to help were chinese herbs that my acupuncturist gave her. a good acupuncturist will be able to associate specific deficincies(sp?) w/ behaviors. yes, chinese medicine is very different, they look at your tounge and take your pulses and don't even need to hear your complaints. they are trained to figure things out very specific series of inquiries that show organs and their functions, heat or cold or deficient.

i think it might be worth while looking for an acupuncturist who deals w/ dogs or someone who is pretty savy,as mine is, and trying that route.

does she get to really RUN and tucker herself out daily? a good stiff walk will not do the trick, you need to find a way to really exhaust her. also working with an experienced trainer might help. mental stimulation is as exhausting as a good run, but not a subsitiute.

Guest SuperiorItaly

Thank you, both.

A couple of quick answers:

* The spray bottle thing was a tip from our kennel director. She said to keep a little spray bottle of water (on mist) outside the door and wait for her to start barking and then come in and spray in her direction while going "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH." I didn't want to do that because I don't want Italy to see me as threatening or someone who inflicts stress on her. It didn't work anyway.

* I live in the city in the condo, so I can't get her out to run. I try and take her up to the kennel in WI at least once a month, sometimes twice. But honestly, the last few times we've gone up there, she's more interested in walking around to the various people and getting petted and belly rubs. She'll take off and do a couple laps with the dogs, but that's about it. She's going on 6 and it's not like she has all this pent up energy around my place. I take her for a 30-45 min walk about 2 pm everyday to the point where she starts dragging and we go back in.

* My dogwalker will be a regular occurrence once I get back into the office. And I would imagine I'll get Italy back on the schedule and routine, but I'm guessing the last month has made her especially dependent on me being here. But even before when I was in the office and she knew I'd leave everyday, my gf and I could be leaving for dinner at night and she be totally fine. We'd come back to her passed out, cockroached on the couch.

* I always leave the tv on when I'm gone at a little bit louder volume so she can't hear as much noise from the hall or a neighbor coming or going and thinking it's me.

I will NOT scold her anymore though. Since I did that today, she's been really timid and I feel bad like she's afraid of me now.

Guest Energy11

I'd talk to your vet about medication. There are SEVERAL meds that help with SA. At this point, you might have to.

I DO LIKE Ultra Calm Wafers (**natural, and you can get through Drs. Foster and Smith***). Used to give to ours when we both worked in Florida ... really helped!

Sams Yams make "Calmly Camomile" chews, which REALLY knock mine out ... another possibility.

LOTS to try, somethings work, some don't, but SEVERE SA needs to be addressed by your vet.

Sending hugs and Good Luck!

Guest K9_Lady

I haven't read the book but have heard really good things about it so suspect it will help.

One thing worth noting: When you do the leave for 5 minutes, leave for 10, etc. -- If dog is making noise, pottying, or otherwise disturbed at your leaving for 5 minutes, you aren't ready to go on to 10 (well, you might be :lol but she isn't). Usually when I do leaving exercises, I start out by leaving for 3-5 minutes, coming back for 3-5 minutes, and spend 45 minutes to an hour repeating that sequence; no special attention to the dog, just matter of fact. I also make sure I really leave -- most dogs I know *will* go nuts if you're hiding on the porch/doorstep, in the garage (assuming your garage is attached), etc. So I get in the car and drive around the block or so.

Also worth noting that if dog is anxious, best to go out for potty quite shortly before you leave and right after you get back. We generally do this even with our non-anxious, long-time dogs until we can trust them when they indicate, "Nope, just went, don't need to go again anytime soon."

Many hugs and best luck. I know how much you love your pupper and really hope you and she can work things out.

I agree with the leave time...start out slow and be consistent. I had a bit of separation anxiety with Amy although all she did was cry, no other problems. I would pick up my car keys and would put them in my pocket and not go anywhere. I would not tell her that I would be right back and when I came in the house I would not make a big deal and basically just ignore her. I also give her a Kong when I leave that has cheerios or cookies in it topped off with a TBL of Peanut Butter. I keep 4 in my freezer and now when I am going out she runs to the refrigerator and stares at the freezer! Good luck and the book is very good :)

When you come in the door, as long as she isn't going totally nuts, gently (as if you are going to pet her) sliding your hand around her snout or just stroking her under her chin and whispering "shhhhhhhhhhhhh" and as soon as she is quiet for one full second, cheerful "Good girl!"

Don't worry about a scold or two that you later decide is misplaced. She'll get over it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SuperiorItaly

Thanks, K9 and Energy. I always have 3-5 kongs in the fridge with frosted cheerios and PB, so that's covered. I'll look for the calming chews. I'd like to stay away from medication as I don't think it is severe yet. She's not destructive and isn't aggressively trying to get out and I have 6 large glass deck doors that she could try if she really wanted.

Guest Energy11

http://www.frontporchpets.com/yam-bones--calmly-chamomile.html (The calming sweet potatoe chews).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8098&ref=3928&subref=AA&mkwid=SQZYDZORT|pcrid|3724317891&cmpid=PPC-_-G-_-3928 The Calming Wafers

BOTH work VERY well with mine! Good Luck! Yep, try the easy stuff first, then, IF NEEDED, the vet and the "big guns!"

Guest SuperiorItaly

http://www.frontporchpets.com/yam-bones--calmly-chamomile.html (The calming sweet potatoe chews).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8098&ref=3928&subref=AA&mkwid=SQZYDZORT|pcrid|3724317891&cmpid=PPC-_-G-_-3928 The Calming Wafers

BOTH work VERY well with mine! Good Luck! Yep, try the easy stuff first, then, IF NEEDED, the vet and the "big guns!"

Thank you very much. Of both of those, which is more powerful and how long does it take to kick in?

Here's the suspect in question...

fb.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

9.jpg

I am sorry I don't have any suggestions that have not already been given but I have to say..... I love the picture with the two cutie pies together!!!! That is Precious!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: Also she looks very comfy and secure in the pics... :)

Good Luck!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Energy11

http://www.frontporc...-chamomile.html (The calming sweet potatoe chews).

http://www.drsfoster...=PPC-_-G-_-3928 The Calming Wafers

Thank you very much. Of both of those, which is more powerful and how long does it take to kick in?

Here's the suspect in question...

fb.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

9.jpg

OMG!! She looks sooo much like my Bold Energy did! Cute little child, too :-)

The Ultra Calm Wafers are the most "powerful," and take about 35-40 minutes to kick in. DO NOT give the dosage on the bottle! I give 3-4 to mine, and that does the trick. They are natural, but still ...

As I mentioned previously, I used to use these DAILY when we left for work. None of mine really had SA, but I didn't want them running around outside (had a doggie door then), and did keep them muzzles ... These wafers just "took the edge off" ... while we were gone. AND, they love the things! Good Luck! p.s. Italy KNOWS HOW TO GET COMFORTABLE!

Edited by Energy11

Guest Sunset123

Is Italy eating the treats that you leave for her? It's a good sign if she is. Dogs that are super anxious will not eat when you're gone even if it's a juicy steak in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I have a few tips that helped us get through it. First, the DAP plug-in diffuser. It seemed to really help Arrisa relax at home. (You can find it here.)

Second, the "don't make a big deal about leaving or coming" thing really didn't work well with Arrisa. She is very finely attuned to what's happening at all times and just feels abandoned if we ignore her. It turns out what comforts her the most is strict routine. It's okay if we leave as long as she understands what's happening. What I did was turn leaving into a positive thing to look forward to rather than something that might seem like punishment. Everyday when I leave I take a loaded Kong (or similar treat toy) out of the freezer and present it to her like she's won an Academy Award. She goes to work on the toy and I can walk out the door without her even looking up. She knows what time I get home, and knows that that means she gets to play out in the yard. At this point, if I come home from work early she sometimes won't even get up from her bed. She looks at me like, "What are you doing here? It's still naptime." I also always keep a partially-loaded Kong on hand for times when I'm only leaving for a little while, like a short trip to the store. She knows that when I put the toy on her special doormat it means I'm leaving but I'll be back.

We've also had pretty good luck with melatonin for times when we've needed extra calming. I keep Bach's Rescue Remedy on hand but haven't really noticed an effect.

There were a lot of things that I tried that didn't work, so, of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Edited by Sunset123

Guest SuperiorItaly

Is Italy eating the treats that you leave for her? It's a good sign if she is. Dogs that are super anxious will not eat when you're gone even if it's a juicy steak in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I have a few tips that helped us get through it. First, the DAP plug-in diffuser. It seemed to really help Arrisa relax at home. (You can find it here.)

Second, the "don't make a big deal about leaving or coming" thing really didn't work well with Arrisa. She is very finely attuned to what's happening at all times and just feels abandoned if we ignore her. It turns out what comforts her the most is strict routine. It's okay if we leave as long as she understands what's happening. What I did was turn leaving into a positive thing to look forward to rather than something that might seem like punishment. Everyday when I leave I take a loaded Kong (or similar treat toy) out of the freezer and present it to her like she's won an Academy Award. She goes to work on the toy and I can walk out the door without her even looking up. She knows what time I get home, and knows that that means she gets to play out in the yard. At this point, if I come home from work early she sometimes won't even get up from her bed. She looks at me like, "What are you doing here? It's still naptime." I also always keep a partially-loaded Kong on hand for times when I'm only leaving for a little while, like a short trip to the store. She knows that when I put the toy on her special doormat it means I'm leaving but I'll be back.

We've also had pretty good luck with melatonin for times when we've needed extra calming. I keep Bach's Rescue Remedy on hand but haven't really noticed an effect.

There were a lot of things that I tried that didn't work, so, of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Thanks! A couple of times when I'd feed her and leave for 15 mins. to get Starbucks I'd come home and she would have eaten half of her food. But her C.E.T. chews are her favorite thing in the world. She'll always house those and 9 times out of 10. Once over the last month, I came home and she had gotten the PB but there were Cheerios strewn about on the floor.

Guest SuperiorItaly

The Ultra Calm Wafers are the most "powerful," and take about 35-40 minutes to kick in. DO NOT give the dosage on the bottle! I give 3-4 to mine, and that does the trick. They are natural, but still ...

As I mentioned previously, I used to use these DAILY when we left for work. None of mine really had SA, but I didn't want them running around outside (had a doggie door then), and did keep them muzzles ... These wafers just "took the edge off" ... while we were gone. AND, they love the things! Good Luck! p.s. Italy KNOWS HOW TO GET COMFORTABLE!

Thanks. I found a place up north that has the Sam's Yams stuff. When you say do NOT give the dosage on the bottle, do you mean you gave them 3-4 at once? Or 3-4 over the course of a day? Our three quarters?

Guest Energy11

Thanks. I found a place up north that has the Sam's Yams stuff. When you say do NOT give the dosage on the bottle, do you mean you gave them 3-4 at once? Or 3-4 over the course of a day? Our three quarters?

Three to four at once. The bottle says something like EIGHT! Yikes! THAT is mellow! smile.gif BTW ... I LOVE ALL THE SAM'S YAMS PRODUCTS!

Guest SuperiorItaly

Three to four at once. The bottle says something like EIGHT! Yikes! THAT is mellow! smile.gif BTW ... I LOVE ALL THE SAM'S YAMS PRODUCTS!

Thanks! Just ordered a pound of the coming wafers. Had them overnighted so hopefully they will get here soon.

I second the melatonin. Carl has SA, pretty well controlled - now. He was destructive, but muzzling him stopped that immediately. He has also been noisy, I'm lucky I have a neighbor who a) loves my dogs B) is patient as a saint and, c) sleeps very deeply. That being said here are the things that worked for us:

• long walks first thing in the morning
  • a strict routine for leaving
  • lots of alone training
  • a treat dispensing kong filled with goodies (this only worked before I had 2 greyhounds, after I added Claire they would fight over the kongs)
  • using my cell phone in conjunction with my home phone on speaker, thus creating a long distance baby monitor that I could listen in on and intervene when he started howling (I'd hear him start howling and say, "Carl, no"...worked like a charm, he thought I was somewhere in the house with him! Uutside of having to use medication was the cell-phone-baby-monitor-thing that helped him turn the corner)
  • medication for about 5 months (clomipramine...this was because he was destructive and hurt himself as well)
  • leaving several radios on (he seems to prefer our local NPR alternative music station...go figure!)
  • leaving curtains open

Things that absolutely didn't work:

• Rescue Remedy
  • DAP diffuser
  • Stress free Calmplex by Springtime
  • leaving the TV on
  • my other dog, Sheila (at the time - she's 14 now - a 12 year old shiba inu/chow mix)
  • crating him - drove him ape-sh*t and cause him to really be super destructive, he and I were both lucky he didn't shred himself when he tore the soldering apart and got out.

What continues to work:

• walks
  • routine, routine, routine
  • my changed attitude (I needed to pretend to feel positive confident about his behavior when I left...as an old colleague once told me, "All new behavior is false", but I've made it a habit and now it is not false confidence!)
  • melatonin, melatonin, melatonin 3mg an hour before I go to work, seems to take the edge off and has the added bonus of making his coat extraordinary and filled in his bald thighs!

I did NOT get a second greyhound to calm him down, when I got Claire his SA spiked again. While she has no SA, he started to influence both Claire and Sheila and there would be 3 dog howling-fests throughout the day. I called my group's behavioral guru to talk me through the new spike, she was a god-send. You might consider calling your group to see if they have a member who is particularly good at behavioral stuff and who will coach you. Ours did phone and email consults with me for free. I will forever be indebted to her for her help.

Just a word of caution about the Sam's Yams...I gave one to each of my three dogs as a treat(no other change to the diet that day, only the Sam's Yam) and had the most awful diarrhea to contend with ... x3. I returned them immediately, wrote to the company and was less than impressed with their response which was....nada. I know this isn't a common reaction based on what I've read here on GT, but if it's a gut-bomb for your girl...batten down the hatches and bring on the mop and bucket brigade!

Best of luck to you

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest SuperiorItaly

I second the melatonin. Carl has SA, pretty well controlled - now. He was destructive, but muzzling him stopped that immediately. He has also been noisy, I'm lucky I have a neighbor who a) loves my dogs B) is patient as a saint and, c) sleeps very deeply. That being said here are the things that worked for us:

• lots of alone training
  • a treat dispensing kong filled with goodies (this only worked before I had 2 greyhounds, after I added Claire they would fight over the kongs)
  • using my cell phone in conjunction with my home phone on speaker, thus creating a long distance baby monitor that I could listen in on and intervene when he started howling (I'd hear him start howling and say, "Carl, no"...worked like a charm, he thought I was somewhere in the house with him! Uutside of having to use medication was the cell-phone-baby-monitor-thing that helped him turn the corner)
  • medication for about 5 months (clomipramine...this was because he was destructive and hurt himself as well)
  • leaving several radios on (he seems to prefer our local NPR alternative music station...go figure!)
  • leaving curtains open

• Rescue Remedy
  • DAP diffuser
  • leaving the TV on
  • my other dog, Sheila (at the time - she's 14 now - a 12 year old shiba inu/chow mix)
  • crating him - drove him ape-sh*t and cause him to really be super destructive, he and I were both lucky he didn't shred himself when he tore the soldering apart and got out.

What continues to work:

• walks
  • my changed attitude (I needed to pretend to feel positive confident about his behavior when I left...as an old colleague once told me, "All new behavior is false", but I've made it a habit and now it is not false confidence!)
  • melatonin, melatonin, melatonin 3mg an hour before I go to work, seems to take the edge off and has the added bonus of making his coat extraordinary and filled in his bald thighs!

I did NOT get a second greyhound to calm him down, when I got Claire his SA spiked again. While she has no SA, he started to influence both Claire and Sheila and there would be 3 dog howling-fests throughout the day. I called my group's behavioral guru to talk me through the new spike, she was a god-send. You might consider calling your group to see if they have a member who is particularly good at behavioral stuff and who will coach you. Ours did phone and email consults with me for free. I will forever be indebted to her for her help.

Just a word of caution about the Sam's Yams...I gave one to each of my three dogs as a treat(no other change to the diet that day, only the Sam's Yam) and had the most awful diarrhea to contend with ... x3. I returned them immediately, wrote to the company and was less than impressed with their response which was....nada. I know this isn't a common reaction based on what I've read here on GT, but if it's a gut-bomb for your girl...batten down the hatches and bring on the mop and bucket brigade!

Best of luck to you

Thanks! On the melatonin, I have a few questions?

1. Is this just OTC from anywhere like CVS, Walgreens, etc.?

2. Do you just feed them to her with her food in the am or will they eat them like treats?

3. How long does it usually take to kick in?

Guest Sunset123

• lots of alone training
  • leaving curtains open

• Rescue Remedy
  • DAP diffuser
  • leaving the TV on

What continues to work:

• walks

Best of luck to you

Thanks! On the melatonin, I have a few questions?

1. Is this just OTC from anywhere like CVS, Walgreens, etc.?

2. Do you just feed them to her with her food in the am or will they eat them like treats?

3. How long does it usually take to kick in?

You can find the melatonin in the vitamins section. I've tossed one in Arrisa's food and she gobbles it up and I've also dabbed a bit of peanut butter one one and fed it like a treat. (But she's not a picky eater, as I know some are.)

I'd give it at least 30/45 minutes.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Loads of good advice here, and I second the strict routine. My SA dog is fine when I stick to the regularly scheduled program. If I leave at night, after I'm supposed to be home, that is a trouble time for her.

I also second the notion that adding another dog does not always help. I have 3 other dogs to keep her company, and she totally does not care!

Good Luck!

I purchase the melatonin at Target, it is by Nature's Bounty. I give both Carl & Claire 3mg about an hour before I leave for work. They are both exceptionally good at taking pills, so I make a big deal out of it like I do treats and they gobble them up. They are just small round pills and don't appear to taste bad as Claire likes to chew hers. I've been known to take it myself before I go to bed, too!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The Patricia McConnell book is essentially an outlined plan for alone training - she says it's about a 6 week plan for most dogs. And the biggest mistake is people rush on to the next step before the dog is ready. So my advice is to follow the steps and be patient! It took us a few weeks, and we just left Molly alone outside of our normal schedule for 3 hours (uncrated) without a problem :) Her SA was mild, but still troublesome because like you, we have neighbors.

Also, if you have a laptop or something, it can be helpful to use the webcam to tape her behavior (someone also posted here about how to set it up to broadcast so you can watch it remotely!). That way you'll be able see what she's doing and know when it's time to move on in the training (ex: more time or back to less time, etc). We found it REALLY helpful.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album