Vomiting

Guest danny

Guest danny

We have a 6 year old male. He has been perfectly healthy for years. However, he has started to vomit after running. Here is his schedule. He has dinner at 5PM. At about 8PM he insists on running. Immediately after his run, he throws up his food. It looks as if it is not digested at all. It even appears to be more in volume than he ate. He will do this every evening. We are feeding him about 1 cup of dry at 5pm. Could it be an obstruction? Is the vomiting damaging his esophagus?

It doesn't sound right to me if the food is undigested after 3 hours. If there are any other food related symptoms / issues (ie: loose stools / soft stools), I'd probably try another brand. If he is on kibble, then the increased volume is due to the kibble expanding due to moisture.

It sounds like the vomiting is caused by overexertion - just like people. It's the body's way of saying 'slow down'..heart rate is too high. There may be an underlying reason for an elevated heart rate...not sure. Too hot? Something to think about.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest sheila

is he pooping? If he is pooping there is not an obstruction. If there was an obstruction you would have noticed more severe reactions before now anyway. Do you put water on his dry food? If not that would probably help. Is the dog losing weight?

Guest Energy11

NO running after eating! This could be the problem, and/or, the HEAT could be a factor!

Good Luck ...

Guest krystolla

NO running after eating! This could be the problem, and/or, the HEAT could be a factor!

Good Luck ...

Wouldn't three hours be long enough after a meal though?

I'd try breaking up his meal into smaller portions -- maybe if he gets everything in smaller portions it'll be easier to digest. If he has a partial obstruction that might help too. Talking to your vet is probably a good idea regardless.

Guest Energy11

Yes, it SHOULD BE LONG ENOUGH, but, like humans, all dogs are different. IF this is happening with running, I'd stop the running. Maybe it is something different, but for a few days, I'd restrict the running, and see what happens! Good LUck! colgate.gif

Contrary to popular belief ... these dogs DO NOT NEED TO RUN! ... once in a while is fine! As long as they get exercise... running is not a required thing. Just my "two cents!"

Good Luck ...

Wouldn't three hours be long enough after a meal though?

I'd try breaking up his meal into smaller portions -- maybe if he gets everything in smaller portions it'll be easier to digest. If he has a partial obstruction that might help too. Talking to your vet is probably a good idea regardless.

No, 3 hours is NOT enough for his food to be completely digested. I would avoid the run...you are in charge. :)

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I'd check in with the vet. 3 hours would be long enough for most dogs to have a light meal and still go for a reasonable run. 'Course he's not "most dogs," and it could just be his metabolism is different or he's overdoing it on every run ... but after 3 hours I'd want to see some food that looked partly digested.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sheila

Never seen a male Grey that ate less than 3 cups of food a day , short run ok after two hrs.

I'm sure the OP was referring to the one cup of kibble at the 5 PM evening meal and not the dogs total food intake for the entire day. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danny

Ok everybody, I really appreciate all the replies. The vet immediately suggested that the problem is MEGAESOPHAGUS. I haven't taken Hilan in, but I have altered his feeding. I am feeding him smaller (and more accurately measured meals). He seems to be doing better. We try to walk the guys every day and we try to keep him from running in the evening. Again, thanks for the responses. Sincerely, Hilan Toaster aplaceforusgreyhounds.org

That would be my suggestion, let him run and then feed him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee