Mystery Bleeding

Tuna was in the living room this morning, she should have been laying on her dog bed patiently waiting for breakfast while I prepared it (scrambled eggs, turkey and Rise & Shine Moist and Meaty). I enter the room and am greeted by big blobs of blood on the floor. I go over to her and there are large spots of blood on the dog bed. I looked over at her water bowl, it's turned red from blood which tells me its her mouth. I take a look at she has blood oozing out from her mouth (mostly from her gums under her lower front teeth, it's actually blood & tissue matter of some sort), and when I open her mouth it's all bloody inside. :blink: How did she do that? I am thinking she might have whacked her face on a piece of furniture next to where the blood drops were on the floor? I cleaned her up and she acted like nothing was the matter so I gave her breakfast which she did not hesitate to eat so I guess her mouth does not hurt badly from whatever happened. What on earth??!

Guest Energy11

Hummmmm, is all I can say!

How is the color of her gums? Are they pink, and not pale?

Are her feet cold?

**Just wanting to be sure that isn't blood coming from her upper GI tract.

If the above it ok, then, it was, like you said, probably something to do with teeth or gums. Is she missing a tooth? Does it look like her tongue was bitten?

I am glad she seems normal now! I would watch her closely to see if there is anymore blood.

Please keep us posted. Sending you and she love and prayers! Dee

My first girl had this happen when she was about 14. Scared the **** out of me. Took her to the vet who said that it was because she had a lot of teeth that needed to come out. Said that the reason that there was so much blood was because it was mixed with saliva.

I opted not to put her under at that age to remove the teeth. We managed her with courses of anti-biotics and lots of Flossies and Greenies. She was with me for 5 more years and no more bleeding.

It is worth the trip to the vet to see what is going on.

Hope she just knocked herself on something -- let us know how she is this afternoon/evening, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We just had this happen to us a few weeks ago with Dusty. Came home to blood all over his face, on the sofa (where he kindly just stood and wiped his face), a very saturated pool of blood by his bed in the bedroom and a small pool by his bed in the familyroom. After cleaning him up, we found no lacerations on his face. It was coming from inside his mouth but he was bleeding so much we couldn't see where it was coming from. Couldn't stop the bleeding so off to the E-vet. They got the bleeding under control and said it was coming from two teeth (one above the other). Can't imagine what happened to him but that was the end of it. Hoping Tuna is done scaring you!

Thanks everyone, Tuna is doing fine. I still do not know what happened, but am going with the "whacked her face (mouth) on the furniture" theory. After I cleaned the blood off her mouth and inside her mouth under her front teeth, there was no more bleeding. Gum color is fine, she had another meal for lunch (her special meatloaf) and is acting like nothing ever happened. She HATES having her mouth opened to look inside, nearly alligator snapped my fingers off when I did this morning ... but I will give it another look. By the way, she is 14 and had her last (ever) dental done a year ago.