Just To Reiterate, It Really Does Take Monts Or Years For A Dog To Tru

So Capri's gone through a few "phases" in her first year in our home as she got to know us and then settled in. Her first gotcha day was about two weeks ago, and she's still changing. Her new thing? She's turning into a total snuggle-bunny. She melts my heart on almost a daily basis with how sweet and loving she is. Same for my husband. She's double bonded and clearly loves both of us.

But actually this does raise a question: is it possible to be too clingy? She's fine when she's home alone, so there's no SA involved, and she sleeps in her own bed at night. But aside from that are we in danger of creating a monster if we indulge her snugglies too much?

Man,I really botched the topic title, sorry. Is there a way I can fix it? I can't find it.

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Awww, that's so cute :P I've had Myka 6 months and she's still changing. This may just be a phase...

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I tink you have to be a "contributor" to edit titles and stuff.

I hear you about the ever-changing part. My spook Cash has been here two years plus a bit and she still is relaxing and becoming a different dog. Toni has been here a year and, though she's always been loving, she's now burying her head and loving full-contact snuggling, where before she was only comforable having a paw or her head on you in bed.

I don't think having a cuddler is a bad thing! As long as you like it, why not??? ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Shana

But actually this does raise a question: is it possible to be too clingy? But aside from that are we in danger of creating a monster if we indulge her snugglies too much?

it depends on Capri's personality but --

I would personally make sure Capri understands "enough" cuddling whenever YOU feel like it. Just like how some people ensure "off" the couch when THEY want to sit in that spot.

I only say this for the simple reason that some people are not comfortable with dogs in their personal space, for various reasons. You may like hours and hours of endless cuddles, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, your guest may like Capri-- from a distance.

Make sure when someone says "enough" Capri understands it's time to back off.

If she is not naturally a people hound with anyone but you and your DH then I wouldn't worry about this much.

This is just something I would do with my dog, so it understands boundaries of other people.

As far as to how to train this - I am really not sure as I have never had a dog yet; maybe someone else can suggest tips if you agree with my ideology.

Edited by Shana

Guest Drumhellergrey

Blessed is the owner who has one that snuggles. As long as she is going about it in a calm way, and it sounds like she is, enjoy that time together. My Ted snuggles every evening, with either I or my wife. :colgate

I have several that are big snuggler's but when I've had enough I will tell them so and they'll go lay down on their beds. I love that they love to cuddle but there are times when I need my space too and they all clearly understand that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm still not sure I read her well, so I'm cautious about when and where I snuggle with her. The other night she was laying on the floor after having her teeth brushed. Dh was petting her and so was I. I got to feeling nuzzly, so I bent down to rub my cheek over her velvety shoulder. It was fine for a minute but I guess I kept it up to long because finally she growled at me. Oops! She was like "I'm sorry mommy" after that, and I was like "I'm sorry baby girl". I guess I'm afraid to let her snuggle too long in case she gets tired of it and snaps instead of just going away like my cats do.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow