Using Frontline?

Guest BeckaS

Guest BeckaS

OK, maybe a total newbie question here I was warned repeatedly never to use a flea collar on Toki, so much so that I assume all topical treatments are no good. But we just went for our first wellness visit, and the vet gave us Frontline & said to use it as directed on the package.

So is it safe for greys to use Frontline?

And on a semi-related note -- is there anything I can put on a scrap that Toki got while running through some trees? The wound looks so painful, although he doesn't seem to notice it (bothers me more I'm sure).

Yes, Frontline is fine.

You could put on some EMT Gel if you can find it; people here will recommend other products as well I'm sure. Worth ordering some to keep on hand -- it works really well. Bag Balm, which you can find easily at most drugstores, is good for small/shallow scrapes (and great for moisturizing dry/cracked paw pads). But whatever you put on, be aware that your dog will probably try to lick it off!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mountain4greys

There are safer methods out there. I use Frontline Plus when flea season is bad, but if it's not, I don't use anything. I haven't had to use Frontline for a few years now. I just try not to use any chemicals if I don't need to.

But lots of people use Frontline Plus on their greys.

Edited to add: I agree with PrarieProf on the EMT Gel. That stuff works wonders.

Edited by mountain4greys

Use Frontline Plus here, never had a problem :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Frontline plus here for years, no problems, no fleas.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest kydie

EMT gel is greyt, I use advantix, as all mine are in the woods, all the time, but I only use it April through november, more worried about ticks here

Frontline Plus and Advantage are safe.

I've always taken the view that if there are no fleas or ticks in their environment I don't need to use anything. I use Frontline if I am taking a dog to a gathering or at the first sign of fleas/ticks in my yard. I have never had fleas/ticks in my yard in 5 years.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

If you don't want to use the top spot Frontline, there is a Frontline spray you can use. We use it here as it's less expensive.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

And... there is also the tried and true, Adams Flea and Tick Mist (water-based). We don't use any of the spot on products, just the Adams, ... no fleas, ... not ticks!

I've used Frontline over the years with no ill effect.

How good is the Frontline spray product compared to the spot version? Does it have advantages?

For cuts and scrapes I'd sometimes use Aloe Vera sap/gel direct from the cut end of a leaf. Well worth growing one indoors for human use on scrapes and cuts too.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I also don't use any flea or tick medicine. My dogs all have their lyme shots, but they are still saying it does not guarantee against getting it. I am obsessive compulsive about leaves, and keep my grass (what's left of it :lol ) very short. I do keep a round for all on hand in case we get fleas. Oh and I don't use mulch in the back yard.

I use neosporin for small cuts and scrapes, and I too have heard good things about EMT gel, but I keep forgetting to get it! I did want to give you a little tip, always muzzle your dog when you are messing with a cut. You just never know when your going to poke too hard! Also when you do nails :)

Guest KennelMom

Frontline is fine. I've found it to be ineffective, but it is fine to use if it works in your area.

For the scrape...if it's small and not bothering him, I'd leave it alone and let it heal on it's own.

FRONTLINE SPRAY????exactly how do you use it? do you sometimes use it in conjuction w/ frontline top spot or instead of?

Instead of.

IMHO it's better if you're combatting an active infestation or you're going someplace where you know there are lots of ticks, for example. You can squirt some in your palm and get it right in between toes, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.