Removing Bandage

My foster "Lucy" managed to get cut badly on her leg when she was chasing a squirrel in the yard. The cut is on a really tough place on the leg to bandage - on the upper thigh ... so, the only way the vet was able to bandage it up is to put gauze over the stitches and then to wrap a sticky bandage around the leg to hold the gauze in place. Needless to say, I've been able to remove where the gauze was and about 3 inches on the inside of the leg but, the 6 or so inches on the fur on the outside of the leg is just not coming off. I left it for a day longer hoping that she would pull it off herself but, totally unlike herself ... she's leaving it alone ...

I should also mention that Lucy is a real diva ... she has no hesitation about showing others who is boss and with an advance warning (little snarl), will be quick to make her displeasure known. Because of this, I want to make sure that I get the bandage off as quickly and with as little pain as possible.

While I know that I can bring her back to the vet to remove the bandage, they are likely to just pull it off and antagonize her and since she seems to make it a habit of having "emergencies" (bloat, toxic plant) in the year since I have had her, I would like to ensure that she sees vet hospitals as being "good places with friendly people".

Some have used oil to remove it, some soak it wet.(just the bandage)

I have always just allowed it to come off on its own, with their help of course.

Good luck!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have used WD40 in the past to remove tough bandages like elasticon. You can direct the spray with the long red nozzle thing directly to where the sticky part is stuck to the fur and then it will easily just peel on back and off. Repeat until bandage is off. And the WD40 is easy to get off the fur too. It really protects their fur and doesn't hurt and is easy to clean up after.

Edited by racindog

Guest kydie

sticky bandages can be removed easily with the use of contact lens saline, you know th kind in th squirt bottles? just slowly soak it down and let it sit and soak it again, this is the method used in hospitals to remove bandages, oil, not for me!