High-Prey Drive Grey And Gerbils

I got 2 gerbils today. DD has had hamsters before, and kept them in her bedroom, which is off-limits to dogs, and the door is shut when we're not home.

These are my gerbils, and I'd like to keep them in the living area of the house. Our grey Diana - has apparently lost much of her crazy prey drive inside the house, and has no interest in them. That surprised me. :blink: But our foster is VERY interested in them. He tried to get up to the cage, but when told "down" got his paws back on the floor. He stood there whining, staring, and drooling. Not good. But - we could call him away. That's way better than Diana could've ever have done a couple years ago.

So - when he gets interested - we call him away, and praise and pet him. I had the squirt bottle handy, but never used it, since he broke focus and came when called. We put a towel over the cage, and he seemed to forget they were there (out of sight - out of mind?) When I uncovered them later, and was showing interest in them, he was back whining and staring.

So - Do I dare leave the cage out tomorrow while we're gone? It's a heavy aquarium, on the counter, so probably can't be tipped over. I'll leave a towel over it, a heavy stool on top of it, and a chair in front of it.

I'm "hoping" that he'll loose interest.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Guest Taras

i would say keep them in a room with a door when not there .. it is better to be safe then sorry

Edited by Taras

Guest Shana

I would suggest keeping them in a closed room until your foster gets adopted, then place them in the "open" room.

And if you fail at fostering him, then I still wouldnt be putting them anywhere where he could get to them. I understand you'd like them as a part of the home and not off in someone's room, but you will be suprised how quickly you will attach to them and would be devastated IF anything happened to them.

Guest sweetpea

I came home once to my large bird cage tipped over off of it's stand, on it's side, on the floor.

Two cats, less than 10 lbs each at the time; I didn't think they were even interested in the bird.

Make sure the gerbil home is anchored in place, or safe in another room when you can't be there.

There is just no predicting the will to mayhem once they get it in their little pea brains!

Good luck!

Buzzy

Please don't do it. The temptation is just far too strong when you're not there, and if your greys even hear rustling they're going to think it's dinner time. Greys are VERY adept at tipping things over and because of their height and effortless ability to jump it is so easily done.

Guest KennelMom

I would probably *not* leave the dog alone with the gerbil cage. Never underestimate the abilities if a determined and excited greyhound.

Congrats on your gerbils, btw! Any pics for us???? :digicam

Please don't do it. The temptation is just far too strong when you're not there, and if your greys even hear rustling they're going to think it's dinner time. Greys are VERY adept at tipping things over and because of their height and effortless ability to jump it is so easily done.

Ditto.

Congrats on the gerbils, tho!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

I also would recommend NOT leaving the gerbil cage where the dogs can get to it. Even if its glass and you think it's too heavy for them to move, if you're wrong you're looking at broken glass, injured dogs, and no more gerbils.

I've had various small animals (everything from small hamsters, to mice, to assorted tree frogs to bunnies) with my hounds, all of which are cat/small dog safe, but never left them alone together when I wasn't there. You never know what can happen, and FMM I'd rather not take the chance.

Guest happygrey

Definitely don't leave them where the foster grey can get at them! We have two guinea pigs and Tatam is EXTREMELY interested in them. I wouldn't trust him with them unattended for a minute! (Despite the fact that he is the most awesome grey ever! :P )

The poor guins are now forced to live in a closed off room -- which is not a great sitch for them. :( They'd really prefer to be out with the people. They will soon be rehomed to our daughter's best friends. They have no other pets and love the guins! Should be a happy ending for all. :)

I would NOT leave the Greyhound and the Gerbils together unattended. You said that their cage is an aquarium? As in glass? Think of the danger to everyone if the aquarium was knocked off and broke. You could have a very injured Greyhound, and dead Gerbils.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest sheila

I will also agree that I would not leave the gerbil cage unattended with this dog. I had a very low (almost no) prey drive hound that would go nuts over rodents in a cage.

Guest bordermutts

When I was younger I used to have rats, and kept them in a cage in my room... my first rat died because I accidentally left the door open and my Siberian husky got in and knocked her cage off of my dresser :( So personally I wouldn't risk it... too tempting.

Guest LindsaySF

I have had birds and rats in the past. I have a ferret and a rabbit now. Your foster can probably be trained/desensitized to leave the tank alone, eventually. BUT all bets are off if: 1) You're not home, or 2) Gerbils are out of the tank.

Where are the pics of the gerbils? :D

keep them in a separate room with the door tightly **. sadly, i know from experience what lengths a high prey greyhound will go through to get a little furry animal.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest mhall

I would keep the gerbils in a room where you can securely shut the door to keep the dogs out.

sadly, i know from experience what lengths a high prey greyhound will go through to get a little furry animal.

Us too :( Tarmac ate our gerbil a couple of weeks after we brought him (Tarmac) home. That was when we discovered he had taught himself how to open baby gates.

ETA please post pictures of the gerbils when you have a chance!

Edited by mhall