Bloomer Has Been Getting Aggressive

Could really use some insights plz. Bloomer is almost 2. we've had her since October. she's always kind of been snap-ish. we make sure to give her her own space, during feedings, n rest times, my ds knows the rules with her. ect. but ive noticed here latly she is getting Aggressive. i took her in, had blood work done, all is normal there. ive increased our walk times, to burn off more energy. ive done everything short of making a dog only room, and putting her in there. she will snap, and bark at everyone, but me.

im just at a loss on what todo. im starting to think maybe we are not the right family for her. (nobody flame me) im just thinking she isnt happy here. maybe she needs a multi dog home, or maybe a no kid home.. or who knows, but im not giving up without a fight!

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

Is she maybe overwhelmed? Have there been any changes at home over the holidays, etc? Maybe call in a trainer who can give an objective perspective on the home atmosphere. I don't have immediate experience with this, but I sure hear a lot about fear aggression lately :unsure although, perhaps she's just not incredibly confident and could use a buddy to build her up.

Nobody's going to flame you for looking out for your hound. It's up to you to do what's best for your family, and your grey. Asking for advice here is the best first step, imo :colgate

Are you confident in the thyroid results? Do you know which tests they ran and what the numbers were? Sometimes test results are "normal" but close to the end of the range, in which case they're not reliable because of the standard error involved in any test. I mention this because I've had a lot of experience with measurement problems, in greyhounds and in people. When our Spencer got aggressive, it was because of thyroid, but the screening test was technically normal. (His T4 was 1 on a scale of 1 to 4.) Knowing what I knew, I requested the full thyroid panel, and it turned out he wasn't normal after all. The "aggression" was really a reaction to feeling vulnerable and it stopped as soon as the medicine was begun.

You'll be lucky if it's that simple, of course, but it's far from rare. In any case, you have my sympathetic concern and support. It's a situation that's scary and confusing! :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Swifthounds

Two questions so we can understand the issue you're having:

1. Who is everyone but you? Spouse? Kids? Gardener?

2. What, specifically is happening?

I'm sure we can help you with your issue without you needing a dog only room. :)

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest jaws4evr

Do you have any insight whether she's more on the afraid side, or more on the dominant side? That may change how you'd approach dealing with her.

I was watching "dogtown" the other day and they had an episode with an antisocial Sheltie mix that snapped at everyone but its devoted handler. They did some exercises to teach her to "value" other people, one of them was having a bunch of their staff in a big circle outside with treats, and they'd call her to them and give her treats and ask her to do tricks for them (she knew a few).

Not that I'm saying you should do what TV tells you :) but, maybe working with a trainer to teach her that all other people have value, so it might be worth keeping them around instead of chasing them off, might give you some progress.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

As almost everyone has said, you need to give specific instances of events. Its like going to your doctor and saying, "it hurts" and expecting a diagnosis.

Guest gecko_foot

Could really use some insights plz. Bloomer is almost 2. we've had her since October. she's always kind of been snap-ish. we make sure to give her her own space, during feedings, n rest times, my ds knows the rules with her. ect. but ive noticed here latly she is getting Aggressive. i took her in, had blood work done, all is normal there. ive increased our walk times, to burn off more energy. ive done everything short of making a dog only room, and putting her in there. she will snap, and bark at everyone, but me.

im just at a loss on what todo. im starting to think maybe we are not the right family for her. (nobody flame me) im just thinking she isnt happy here. maybe she needs a multi dog home, or maybe a no kid home.. or who knows, but im not giving up without a fight!

I'm sorry you're having problems. Having a dog snap at you is no fun. :grouphug Can you tell us more about what the situation is like when she snaps (i.e. Is she guarding food, toys? Is she nervous?)? You won't get any flames from me for trying to help your dog (and yourself).

Good luck!

sorry it was late when i wrote my OP.

ok, so it started out with counter surfing. i added lil boobie traps, but that made it worse, that turned into a startled snap, if we cought her doing it, to snspping and barker at our lil dog if she went into the kitchen (bloomer would get up n go looking for piprr in there)

then that all turned into being aggressive during times she'd find anything to tare up anything she could find.

if shes on the couch (awake) if my dh goes to move her she snips n growleds. so no more couch. she sleeps next to our bed, she'll get snippy if piper gets down in the middle of the noght.

and now shes been getting snippy during our morning routine. like shes worried piper, or any of the humans might get in the way of her treats. so no more treats in the morning.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

Guest sheila

sorry Nikki to have to say this.......

You say she was snappish from the beginning. Why did the group, and more importantly you, bring a snappish dog into your home with small children? This situation sounds like it was wrong from the beginning.

This is not a flame, but I don't think this dog is right for your family and given the way you describe the situation it sounds like a break up waiting to happen. JMO

Guest gecko_foot

sorry it was late when i wrote my OP.

ok, so it started out with counter surfing. i added lil boobie traps, but that made it worse, that turned into a startled snap, if we cought her doing it, to snspping and barker at our lil dog if she went into the kitchen (bloomer would get up n go looking for piprr in there)

then that all turned into being aggressive during times she'd find anything to tare up anything she could find.

if shes on the couch (awake) if my dh goes to move her she snips n growleds. so no more couch. she sleeps next to our bed, she'll get snippy if piper gets down in the middle of the noght.

and now shes been getting snippy during our morning routine. like shes worried piper, or any of the humans might get in the way of her treats. so no more treats in the morning.

Would you mind telling us how you discipline her when she acts this way? It's always difficult if not impossible to determine the root of a behavior without seeing it. If you're really interested in fixing the problem, I would have the situation evaluated by an experienced dog trainer/behaviorist. Sometimes there are things we as owners might overlook, and it helps to have a fresh pair of eyes observe the problem. I'm not the type of person to back down from a challenge, so please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Goodl uck

Guest jenznaz

First of all, it is really scary, but you and your family are in charge! (just keep repeating, lol) It is hard to give advice without observing the situation, but it sounds to me like she might be overwhelmed? Maybe the family could take a step back, be firm with the rules and routines, and ignore her for awhile. Does your husband help walk her? Do you take your son with you to establish the pack?

I also encourage using her muzzle at times, it helps you relax so you're not worried about being bitten and you might be able to react to her differently.

Having ruled out all medical culprits, and dedicating yourself to learn about dog behaviour and how to address the problems, it just could be you're not the right home for her...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Let us know what's up. Hugs.

Edited by jenznaz

Not understanding exactly what's happening when she snaps re counter surfing or during morning routine? Who's where, doing what, when she growls/snaps?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

i think its more of her trying to be the boss. she knows not to do it with me. she'll push it with my dh. and my son just ignores her now. (wich is sad, he so loved betsy, and was so excited when we got bloomer) Piper knows her place with bloomer, but you can see the confution in her when bloomer does strike oit.

It mostly happeneds when we are all home. its her acting out wanting to be Alfa. so we have really stuck to our guns about making sure she doesnt get on beds, couches ect. we've made sure to leep dog beds/ areas apart, to keep piper safe. we've also diverted the feeding area away from the kitchen, so there is no reasons for the dogs to be there.

and sheila, i understand where your coming from. when i say snappish from the start, i meant meaning more like sleep aggrestion. so we were very careful about that, and the kids. (sorry i suck at posting, pluss i type with a 9mo old in my lap)

i know we have to be doing something wrong, or we just arent a good fit for her. she is a good dog other wise. sooooo loving with me. she can melt your heart, untill she gets pissy. ( arent all us ladys lol)

we didnt get her from a group. she came from a breeder/ traoning track. .

Guest Cris_M

While not addressing all the issues, how about spreading the love around? She accepts and loves you. I bet you're the one that feeds her and takes her on most of the walks. If DS (if he's not the 9 month old!) and DH do those, she is more likely to see them as being fun/safe/bringers of good things.

She sounds more sensitive than the average grey. My present hound is. He endures kids, loud noises, people putting their hands on his head, etc.. Too much and he gets nervous and ready to get out of there. While he is the sweetest, most gentle dog, he would be a mess living with a kid.

You may need to alter your home environment a lot. Can you keep your son from jumping, making loud sounds, running through the house, bringing friends over? Probably not. Can you make a totally safe place for Bloomer? Not sort of safe, but totally safe. You may not have the space or type of space needed to do that.

Since Bloomer didn't come from a group, you may not have the same options of returning her. It is difficult to return a hound for any reason, but this may be adding to your anxiety.

It sounds like you are doing your very best for Bloomer. If things work out, great. If they don't, be gentle with yourself.

It really would help if you could describe exactly what's going on when she growls/snaps.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sorry Nikki to have to say this.......

You say she was snappish from the beginning. Why did the group, and more importantly you, bring a snappish dog into your home with small children? This situation sounds like it was wrong from the beginning.

This is not a flame, but I don't think this dog is right for your family and given the way you describe the situation it sounds like a break up waiting to happen. JMO

Agreed. And the fact that the poster is "scared" leads me to believe this dog belongs elsewhere. Nothing personal--just not the right fit.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest trevdog

It sounds like she is trying to be in charge to me too. Have DH start feeding her and giving treats, not you. Also only give her attention when she comes to you, not you going to her. She needs to work for it. Also the muzzle is a good idea too.

Our Opie did this with me, and it started around 3 months after we got him. He would growl at me, and never at DH. I actually got hit in the face by one of his teeth, blood, black eye, the whole bit. That was my fault, I was leaning over him, behaving stupidly, I learned. BUT, he was trying to be in charge. He though the pecking order was DH, him, then me. So I did what others have suggested - I fed him, I make him wait until I give the OK to get the food, I started walking him some of the time. He lost all furniture privileges for over 6 months. It got better, but it took work on my part. We don't have any small children in the house, so I guess it was a bit easier. Now he is the best boy, we can all sit on the couch together, he come in bed in the AM for lovies. And most of all, he listens to me.

Good luck, only you will know what is best for your family. You got a young dog, and you have young children - not always the best combination, but it can work.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Ok. so today we emptied out the laundry room of everything but the washer n dryer. there are two big dog beds, and a water bowl. that is her safe zone. and her night time bedroom. Piper will have her safe zone when we are not home, in her crate in our bedroom.

(just to add, all laundry supplies are up in another room)

Dh always has done am walks, n feedings. ive always done done afternoon walkes, and if weather is nice we do evening walks as a group, even naomi in the stroller. We are going to have ds (8) be the one doing the walker of bloomer when we go out. (yes i trust ds to walk her, he did great with betsy, and he shows young bulls at fairs, he is a tuff lil poop) if weather is bad dh does eve walks. from now on, we are going to try out where ds gives any treats.

We are going to make these changes slowly as to not stress her more, but its time for us, and her to get into a groove here.

as far as returning her. that will be Absolute last resort. I know the gal i got her from very well. ive chated with the last few days, and along with everyone here on GT she has also given me some Advice. i also had gotten Betsy from her. she is a greyt gal, and has reslly taught me a lot of hands on info about greys. she also feels like Bloomer is (lack of a better term) going thru the Terrable twos. wanting to be incontrole, but a bit too insecure to handle it. (if that makes any sense)

so i guess one step at a time. im not giving up on her. THANKYOU all for being so understanding, and helpful.

also i wanted to add. when i said scared in my OP i meant scared i wasnt doing something right, scared for blooomer. not scared of her.

Edited by luvsmylilfruitloop