Chance's 1St Boo Boo

As many of you know, Chance is staying with my brother while I'm in the hospital. He's been spoiling him outright with 2-3 hour dog park trips! Recently, however, he brought Chance for a walk in the back where there's a huge park. Just so happens a neighbor of his has a Greyhound as well! So they finally got to meet the other day, but it wasnt so greyt. The two were just sniffing one another's butts per regular greeting ritual. Before you know it, the other grey lunged at Chance and bit him on the snout. No warning at all :(

Needless to say Chance needed stitches, only two, and anitbiotics. Because of the location of the wound they had to sedate him a little bit.

The point of my story/post is to tell you what a stand-up and classy greyhound owner the other woman was. My vet is down south by me, however I had gotten two other vets near my brother in case of an emergency like this. BUT...wouldn't you know I couldn't find the stupid piece of paper I wrote it on. The lady insisted on Brandon bringing Chance to her vet...who obviously knows Greyhounds!

After all is said and done the lady paid the whole $314 bill. My brother offered to pay half and she wasn't having it. I thought that was terribly sweet of them. I do know I would do the same if Chance bit another dog for no reason b/c I would feel utterly guilty and obligated, but nonetheless, there aren't many dog owners who take responsibility for their dog's actions. Greyhound owners, like the dogs themselves, are just different! :)

I wanted to share what a kind lady she is...and share some pitiful pictures. Chance is doing fine...little sluggish for half the day when it happened. But my food-driven boy was chowing down food by afternoon. :)

I do not know if she is on "Greytalk"....maybe I should ask my brother if she is. He has already said thank you....but I would like to say thank you very much. It is much appreciated.

2010-03-1895080103.jpg2010-03-1895080110.jpg2010-03-1895110951.jpg

2010-03-1895173652.jpg

Its ok Chance. Chicks dig scars!! wink.gif

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Aww, poor Chance :kiss2

You have a great brother and he has an admirable neighbor :) Healing thoughts for both you and Chance :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest KennelMom

I'm glad a bad experience was made "less bad" by a gracious owner! I'm sure he'll heal up just fine...in our house, that probably wouldn't have even seen the vet!

Edited by KennelMom

I'm glad a bad experience was made "less bad" by a gracious owner! I'm sure he'll heal up just fine...in our house, that probably wouldn't have even seen the vet!

Interesting you say that b/c I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't there to see it, so to play it safe I told him to go. He had said it stopped bleeding, but then started again...and he had to get to work. He wound up taking off, poor guy (he's already taking a month off to take care of me when I go home!). After seeing the pics I just thought it was a little too deep. Plus the chance of infection....

I'd love to know how you would have handled it b/c I'm sure this will not be the last time something like this happens where you're not sure vet or not.

thanks KennelMom! :)

Guest BostonDan

Awww poor guy, that scar will give him some character that will drive the girls crazy. I think it is awesome how the other owner helped. It is nice to see a nice ending like this to a not so nice situation.

So glad chance is doing great, and I hope youa re also on the mend.

Dan

Guest momofevie

Poor Chance. :kiss2 Must make you feel good to know that he's got such a fantastic caretaker while you're in the hospital. Hope you're doing well.

Guest KennelMom

Interesting you say that b/c I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't there to see it, so to play it safe I told him to go. He had said it stopped bleeding, but then started again...and he had to get to work. He wound up taking off, poor guy (he's already taking a month off to take care of me when I go home!). After seeing the pics I just thought it was a little too deep. Plus the chance of infection....

I'd love to know how you would have handled it b/c I'm sure this will not be the last time something like this happens where you're not sure vet or not.

thanks KennelMom! :)

Deep doesn't always need stitches...actually deep wounds like punctures are often best left to heal on their own, lest you seal in any bacterial buggers might otherwise drain out naturally.

We would have cleaned it really well and then just let it be...Obviously if something will not stop bleeding, that would need to be seen. But stopping/starting a little bit while the body is trying to do it's thing and clot isn't necessarily an emergency or vet worthy. An otherwise healthy dog should have an immune system capable of handling a cut like that. I'm not a fan of prophylactic antibiotics except in very old, very young or immuno-compromised dogs. In normal, healthy dogs just let their immune system work and treat with antibiotics *if* there are signs of infection.

Things that usually definitely see the vet are wounds that keep tearing/getting larger (usually because of where they are on the body). Parts missing (we recently had an ear tip chomped off). Multiple large wounds (probably a good idea to get some antibiotics in that case). A really BIG wound - Like, I'm talking credit card sized or bigger. Also if I'm ever not sure whether they should go...borderline things are taken in, though our vet knows (and agrees with) the path of least resistance. If there's a real good shot it'll just heal on it's own, we'll leave it be.

You would be amazed at what can heal without stitches and antibiotics. I post this pic b/c makes a dramatic point:

3475640669_16903b50b0.jpg

Aside from the initial week of antibiotics (she had multiple large wounds, punctures, etc), it healed up on it's own. They stitched up as much as they could and then just ran out of skin. She was originally open from just about her spine to her belly. This is actually a few weeks into the healing process so it's smaller and nicer looking when than it started.

thanks KennelMom! smile.gif

Deep doesn't always need stitches...actually deep wounds like punctures are often best left to heal on their own, lest you seal in any bacterial buggers might otherwise drain out naturally.

We would have cleaned it really well and then just let it be...Obviously if something will not stop bleeding, that would need to be seen. But stopping/starting a little bit while the body is trying to do it's thing and clot isn't necessarily an emergency or vet worthy. An otherwise healthy dog should have an immune system capable of handling a cut like that. I'm not a fan of prophylactic antibiotics except in very old, very young or immuno-compromised dogs. In normal, healthy dogs just let their immune system work and treat with antibiotics *if* there are signs of infection.

Things that usually definitely see the vet are wounds that keep tearing/getting larger (usually because of where they are on the body). Parts missing (we recently had an ear tip chomped off). Multiple large wounds (probably a good idea to get some antibiotics in that case). A really BIG wound - Like, I'm talking credit card sized or bigger. Also if I'm ever not sure whether they should go...borderline things are taken in, though our vet knows (and agrees with) the path of least resistance. If there's a real good shot it'll just heal on it's own, we'll leave it be.

You would be amazed at what can heal without stitches and antibiotics. I post this pic b/c makes a dramatic point:

3475640669_16903b50b0.jpg

Aside from the initial week of antibiotics (she had multiple large wounds, punctures, etc), it healed up on it's own. They stitched up as much as they could and then just ran out of skin. She was originally open from just about her spine to her belly. This is actually a few weeks into the healing process so it's smaller and nicer looking when than it started.

Wow!!! eek.gif That makes Chances' wound look like peanuts!!! But note taken! ;) First day at dog park months ago chance had a gash like that but hmmmm about 1/100 of the size...about a quarter lol...being a new dog owner I thought vet right away....BUT...after reading some posts on here...I relaxed..kept it clean and covered (when I couldblush.gif ) and let it heal on it's own. Sure enough it did and you dont even know it's there. I just watched for an infection. Saved me some loot there by just being calm. I dont know how "much" it was bleeding....but I'm sure my brother freaked. I'm sure it would've done fine on it's own after talking to you. Thanks as always for your wisdom! It'll be very helpful in the future!

Brianne & Chance :)

Sometimes taking the dog to the vet makes YOU feel better and that might be just worth the trip.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest kydie

Poor pup, hope he is better soon, doing the right thing has nothing to do with being a grey owner, it has to do with being a responsiable dog owner! :)

Edited by kydie