Increase In Seizures

will keep up the prayers for him. You try to get some rest.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

will keep up the prayers for him. You try to get some rest.

Thanks, I sure do wish I could just crawl back in bed, at least until tomorrow morning!

boy do I understand that!!

He'll be ok. You know what you're doing. I'D be a flipping wreck!! He's lucky he has you.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Here is a link to some information about the rectal valium protocol: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/diazepamprotocol.html and another that includes oral valium: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/OralandRectalProtocol.htm

One of the things that makes seizures so hard to manage is that somehow things just don't stay the same. Predictability would be so welcome, but it just doesn't seem to go with the territory. Things may cruise along one way for a while but eventually something new crops up, with all the disquiet that causes. For instance, for the first 5 years of seizures with Piper I could count on the fact that he'd be up on his feet--clumsy and confused but on the move--within about 30 seconds of the end of a big tonic-clonic seizure. Then about a year ago that changed. Now he lies quietly, breathing heavily for a full minute or two. I found that rather alarming at first, but it just seems to be par for the course now. For most of that time as well, I could be pretty sure he'd have 7-10 weeks between seizures. In the last few months they are coming more like every 3-6 weeks. Not such a benign change but I suspect it is just the "new normal" for Piper and me.

Warm good wishes to you and your boy

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry you didn't get much sleep. Sometimes the post-ictal state lingers a bit longer during a cluster. Sophie's post-ictal state never lasted more than an hour or two, but after her cluster of seizures in December she was stumbling, walking into things, couldn't see, etc, until the next morning at the vet.

He is probably exhausted from all the seizures. Hopefully once he rests up he will be back to himself.

Sophie has been covered in poop (and mud) before too, either because she fell, or I think she just liked to roll in it... <_< Too cold for the hose so I brought buckets of warm water outside.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Sophie would sometimes not poop because she was just too tired to "get into position" to do so. She would start to squat, would feel wobbly, and then just give up until later.

~Lindsay~

The hose is hooked up to a faucet with both hot and cold, so warm running water via the hose is no problem.

He was good earlier until I started to leave, then started to cry. (I had some things I had to help an elderly friend with, including returning a rental wheelchair, so leaving for a while was not optional.) Got some tracked pop to clean up, but that was probably a combination of diarrhea and pacing. It's not extensive enough to be seizure related, and he's not post ictal (thank Dog!), just barking in my ear - haven't figured out yet for what.

Well, poop is mostly cleaned up. At least everything that could be tracked. We'll worry about the walls later. (And to think, they wouldn't even talk to me about the boy in Florida with fecal incontinence, who probably doesn't poop on the walls.)

Beloved seizure boy tried very hard to help me with the cleanup by standing where I had sprayed to show me what to wipe up. All the while barking in my ear.

I think I finally figured out what he was trying to tell me! When I opened the door for him to go out,he just stood and looked at me like "don't you get it?" Once I let everyone else out, he's a happy camper. I think he was just trying to tell me that he wanted his friends. Aren't they wonderful!

Sorry to hear about all the poop!"

That's why we have vinyl floors, and NO sensitive stomachs allowed.

"He sounds very demanding,"

Generally he's not very demanding - he's a really nice boy, maybe not the brightest, but loves everyone and has a heart of gold.

"reminds me of Sophie. rolleyes.gif

I've thought often about talking to you about Sophie, but she would have to be crated here when I'm gone, since My seizure boy isn't, and I don't know that that would be ideal for her. Besides, she might just wind up staying right where she is! You've done such a greyt job with hr.

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks. blush.gif Sophie has some separation anxiety and crate anxiety. (She broke out of a crate in a previous foster home, it was so badly damaged it had to be thrown away). Honestly those issues are more of a barrier to her finding a home than the seizures! I have her loose in my living room when I'm not home (ex-pen across the doorway), she likes being near the other dogs (who are in ex-pens or crates).

Sophie is welcome here. She's trying at times lol.gif but I love her. I don't have the finances to adopt her (Cody is on expensive meds for Diabetes Insipidus), but she is welcome here.

What is your seizure boy's name? I don't think you said. I hope that his "helping" you clean and wanting his buddies means he is feeling better. :)

~Lindsay~

Kind of like the biggest barrier to my boy's being adopted would have been his diarrhea, which we've never found an answer to (though no one was ever interested enough to get that far in asking about him.)

I do think he is feeling better, But I'm hoping his loss of some additional brain cells isn't permanent. None of his gran mals lasted more than about 30 seconds, but I'm still having to show him things like where he eats. Really hoping this is temporary.