Eating Dirt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer has decided that he likes to eat dirt and I don't understand why? He has a favorite place in the yard that I have made so he can't get to it so he has found a new spot. Usually I don't catch him doing it but I see the tell-tale signs of dirt in the bottom of the outside water dish. Is eating dirt going to hurt him? Does anyone know why he's doing this? He's not hungry as he gets 4 cups a day of food and half the time doesn't eat all of it. He's not on any meds that make him hungry like prednisone. I'm at a loss!

Guest Energy11

Ah, the question of the day!

Funny you just posted this! I had to literally pry Curfew from "his" dirt ditch, that he made this morning, in the front pen! He digs under the straw, crouches, and proceeds to eat the dirt! They did this last spring as well. He is on blood pressure and thyroid meds, but the others do it, too. I think they just like the taste (UGH), of the dirt, especially being under the straw all winter.

I don't like him eating it, and I am sure he doesn't get a lot, but I don't think it will hurt him. I have NO idea why they do it though :-(

I'd just be sure yours doesn't eat it too often, or get too much. It is a real "joy" when you start brushing their teeth!

Good Luck!

My first girl Katie used to love to eat dirt. I remember asking my vet why and he told me until they decide to talk, we won't know why :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It's been raining for the past three weekends here in the Valley; I have no idea what it is about the mud, but we get that here, too. For some reason, they find the hay I put down to be particularly palatable. Reasons elude me.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

My newest girl, Sallie, eats dirt rolleyes.gif Or, actually, she seems to eat mud. I try to discourage it, but with a dog door, that's pretty futile. She doesn't seem eat much. and so far, it doesn't seem to have hurt her. I hope once things dry out around here, she will stop.

Guest lat41065

MIne are eating mud also right now ! its so nasty as the water bowl has an inch of mud in it every day !! My vet basically said they eat it because they feel like it and they can LOL

Lesley

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Well I guess I won't worry about it too much then. I have never had a dirt eater, poop eaters yes but not dirt eaters! :lol

Guest dwolfe711

Ellie digs the holes - munches on all she can get in her mouth before I can get to her and make her stop - then Ripley comes along and eats all the grass and dirt she threw all over the yard when she was digging. He grabbed a big chunk of mud/grass this morning and when I tried to get him to drop it he ran with it into the family room. He did drop it inside and I grabbed it and tossed it outside the fence. Our yard looks like a mine field that's been exploded - she has holes everywhere - one of these days I'm going to break an ankle when I step in one. DH tries to fill them in and replant grass but it's never the same. We can't figure out how to have the yard rolled and replanted - it would take awhile to do that and it would be a pain to take three out on leashes for that timeframe. Anyway, with throwing divots when they run and digging up the yard for snacks it would not stay nice for very long - so why waste the money?!!

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea hasn't acquired a taste for dirt (knock on wood), but all our dachsies LOVE it! When I brush their teeth, it's like brushing mud out of their mouth. They get quality kibble with healthy add-ins, have great lab work, and have no other issues. I don't know why, but they seem to love it ... for whatever reason. :puke They also LOVE to eat horse poop whenever they can get to it! :ohno It totally grosses me out, but they couldn't be more thrilled. :dunno

Dining on Dirt - Mine all love it.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Kevin and House love the stuff...looks like they are digging for grubs or something. If they don't have their muzzles on, they are chowing down. It was really nice (and this is the ONLY reason) when it was really cold and the ground was frozen...the water bowl actually stayed clean for a few weeks!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest BostonDan

Our Grey has started this recently as the snow started to thaw and expose the grass and mud. She became very interested in areas of grass that were damaged by plows which exposed the dirt under the grass, and before I knew it I heard a chomp :blink: