Sorry In Advance - Another Hypothyroid Question

My 3.5 year old littermates are being vetted to become blood donors. Their T4 results came back: .3 and .4. The hospital is obligated to tell me and to let me decide what, if anything, needs to be done. I realize a fT4 wasn't done and that is more important. While I don't want to ignore any possible medical problems with my dogs, I don't want to run a bunch of unnecessary tests either.

So, I was wondering what the symptoms of a low thyroid are and if I decide to do nothing, am I putting them at any risk?

Both boys are healthy in every other respect, lab and otherwise. Both are follicle-ly challenged, but what they have is soft and shiny. Maverick is low-key and Goose is shy/skittish. Appetites are good; they are raw fed. Took several months to put weight on them and they both look good. Annual exams (without blood work) were perfect. My regular vet thinks they are awesome and in good health. I do have terrible housebreaking issues with Goose, but I have never heard of that being a symptom of low thyroid. Maverick goes nuts over a lure and will run himself ragged; Goose is afraid of it.

Prior to their fasting bloodwork, they spent an hour at greyhound playgroup and had a nice social outing with occassional bursts of running. I don't know if that could affect the blood results or not.

Is this something that I should pursue? I will discuss it with my vet, but he knows the values are different for greys and will also ask my opinion. Thanks!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

T4 is a meaningless test for diagnosis. I would ignore it unless you see unusual hair loss (beyond greyhound pattern baldness :lol), weight gain on very little food, marked exercise intolerance, perhaps seizure activity. In that case I would get a premium profile from MSU and go from there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

T4 is a meaningless test for diagnosis. I would ignore it unless you see unusual hair loss (beyond greyhound pattern baldness lol.gif), weight gain on very little food, marked exercise intolerance, perhaps seizure activity. In that case I would get a premium profile from MSU and go from there.

Exactly! Unless you see the above signs or symptoms, I think it is fine. If you are concerned, you'll need the vet to do a Free T4. Good Luck!

I'd probably say they were OK. Batmom's advice is the best as well. Neither dog seems to have the "classic" signs, though fearfulness/anxiousness can be an indicator. It might be worth pursuing with Goose, but again, his readings aren't necessarily that low for a greyhound, and he just may be that way normally.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly