Foster Being A Bit Shy When Her Future Family Came Visit

Guest pws

Hello everyone,

I am fostering a really nice girl right now. Her potential adopter came today to look at her. The foster seemed pretty shy toward the visitor and she did not act like this to us when we got her. She was staying at the corner but accepted pets/treats from them and let them walk her. I only had the foster for two days but never saw her like this. The foster was very curious, happy go lucky from the day we picked her up. But she seems taking a little while to warm up to the visitors today. I think the adopter is a VERY nice person and I would like to see it work out. But she has a full time job and the foster has to be left alone for 6 hrs. But she said she will get a dog walker. I am a bit concerned about the foster being the only dog in her home, because of her behavior today...she does not seem to be confident enough.

For those who has the only one grey and work full time, did you grey adapt well even in the beginning your grey seems taking a bit longer to warm up?

Thank you!!

Aside from the potential adopted being "nice", did you sense this was a good match? Either the pup may know something you don't (maybe not likely) OR the pup was nervous meeting someone new, after just meeting you and adapting to that change.

Sounds like some more time in foster care could be good to iron some of this beavior out.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I like the potential adopter because she is an experienced dog owner and what she looks for in a dog matches Greyhound's characters. ( i.e. affectionate, beautiful, and laid back) She will be a wonderful greyhound owner. Maybe I am thinking too much about someone having just one greyhound and i worried about the foster having to adjust to the only dog life. I got my first boy and he had some SA and then I got the second boy two weeks after. I personally think greyhounds are happier when with other grey. This is just my opinion :)

Guest twogreytkids

Most of us started with one.

When I adopted my first boy, I was working eight hours a day and he did absolutely fine being the only dog.

Marcy

Guest gecko_foot

Hello everyone,

I am fostering a really nice girl right now. Her potential adopter came today to look at her. The foster seemed pretty shy toward the visitor and she did not act like this to us when we got her. She was staying at the corner but accepted pets/treats from them and let them walk her. I only had the foster for two days but never saw her like this. The foster was very curious, happy go lucky from the day we picked her up. But she seems taking a little while to warm up to the visitors today. I think the adopter is a VERY nice person and I would like to see it work out. But she has a full time job and the foster has to be left alone for 6 hrs. But she said she will get a dog walker. I am a bit concerned about the foster being the only dog in her home, because of her behavior today...she does not seem to be confident enough.

For those who has the only one grey and work full time, did you grey adapt well even in the beginning your grey seems taking a bit longer to warm up?

Thank you!!

My greyhound adapted very quickly, but he has developed some SA. It's not very severe - he doesn't hurt himself trying to escape his crate - but he is a very confident dog and is very happy to meet new people.

Guest Sunset123

I have a not-very-confident girl who stays alone when I'm at work and she's doing fine. It took her a couple of weeks to get used to it, but with the help of a lot of practice, a D.A.P. diffuser, and filled Kongs, she now looks forward to me leaving in the morning (because it means she gets her special treat). It can be done! :)

(For what it's worth, she's not crated.)

Edited by Sunset123

My Jack was very shy. He was an only for two years. He did fine with just me. In fact our bond was incredible. He also didn't have a bit of separation anxiety. He was just shy.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Davis is rather reserved. I've had him for 2 1/2 years now, and he is still diffident at M&Gs. However, at the dog park he is very friendly. On the street, he will watch people walk by and then approach him from behind! When I first got him, I was able to come home at lunch the first couple of months. He adjusted very quickly to being alone. I left the TV on for him - he got to watch Animal Planet all day! Still does! He gets a couple special treats when I go to work - a peanut butter kong and a 'peanut butter and dried duck or chicken sandwich' made with quality biscuits. I throw one in the bedroom and the other in the living room. Sometimes he doesn't even come to the living room when I leave; other times he looks at me like, 'why are you still here? It's time for my knog." So, he's done well being an 'only'.

Rebecca and Manny

Guest Sunset123

Sometimes he doesn't even come to the living room when I leave; other times he looks at me like, 'why are you still here? It's time for my knog." So, he's done well being an 'only'.

Same here! If there is peanut butter to be eaten I don't even get a backward glace when I leave! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies...I feel much better about the situation now. I am a new foster mom and can think too much for my foster's pup :)

My husband and I always jokingly said that we would keep every foster...

I don't think you can make much of a judgement on a dog you've had for two days. If she's an experienced hound owner, I'm sure the shyness could be dealt with if she likes the dog otherwise!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck