Bad News About Whitey's Chemo

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

So my vet just called... Whitey had what we thought was his last chemo treatment on Tuesday of this week. He has not had a single side effect and is feeling just great.

But - The vet was doing the calculations for Apollo's chemo, which we'll start next week, and discovered an error that OSU made when they figured Whitey's dose. Along with the doxorubicin they sent, they sent a little chart of doses for him, and they transposed two numbers. The result is that Whitey has only been getting half as much chemo as he should have gotten all this time!

My vet feels terrible that she did not double-check OSU's calculations for Whitey. But I guess we both figured we could trust the info that came from them.

Cumulatively, he's had 3 of his 6 doses, so he'll need 3 more at full-strength. Of course, now who knows what side-effects we'll get. And I'll have Apollo doing chemo too, so I'll have 2 dogs feeling crappy at the same time (while my DH is in China for 3 weeks getting our new daughter, and I am here alone with DD and 18 dogs...sigh).

OSU is saying it probably won't affect Whitey's longevity, because his cancer was caught so early. I bloody well hope so! I'm pretty pissed off about this, and according to my vet, the oncologist at OSU basically didn't acknowledge that they had made an error and just breezed past that part (Dr Couto is out of the country).

Anyway, that's the annoying news from here. Meanwhile, Whitey is doing great and has taken to stalking the 2-yr-old adoptables and springing out at them as they run by. I keep telling him that he is 11 and has 3 legs, but he doesn't care.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about the dosing error. I know this happens, but we were always taught in medicine, to triple-check or more, our dosages before giving them. I am sure this doesn't happen a lot, but I am sorry Whitey has to get more chemo. From what you are saying about him, he might sail right through everything. He seems like a VERY strong boy!

And, I thought I was overwhelmed! OY! You poor thing! It is really cool about your new daughter, though! :-)) THAT is wonderful news! I am sure she a going to be a JOY!

If ya get down, I am sure good ole' Carl will help cheer you up! They are getting ready for the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Carl loves that, especially with his "tricked out van!"

Sending you, strength, love, hugs, and lots of prayers! Dee and The Five bighug.gif

Sorry Jen :grouphug

I wish I could help- I'll check with you after I return from Sandy Paws and if you still are over whelmed, I can come over and help or just keep you company and play with some pups

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sorry to hear this. I've heard from several vets that if they are not feeling crappy- it's not working.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Adrianne

I'm so sorry to hear this. Wow! You do have a whole lot on your plate. I wish I was closer; I would love to play with some pups for you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Medical errors are forgivable, if for no better reason than that we're human. But for standard stuff in the lab, I use a spreadsheet; when I used to work in multi-person labs, everyone involved initials the part of the work they perform. I've always been surprised at how cavalier the approach seems to be in medicine, which may explain the rate at which dosing errors occur. The moral would seem to be- ask that someone double-check the numbers before administration.

If it's any consolation, in some cases low-dose chemo is as good (or better, from a side-effects standpoint) as more aggressive therapies. Here's hoping that everything turns out for the best.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest mcsheltie

That bites! I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing, I realize anyone can make a mistake. But I don't think I would have asked my vet to double check on info sent from OSU.