Need Help With Amadues

Sheshe

I am not sure if everyone remembers the story about Amadeus, I will recount it at another time, but he is 12, surviving 8 years longer than he should have. He has no teeth, (bacteria infection-came with it from the track and we tried everything to keep it under control. He is on Rimadyl, for pain and arthritis, and Tramadol twice a day for pain. He has changed dramatically in the last week. The snow, and not being able to run the yard and go on walks and to the dog park may have something to do with it, but he is grumpy. I mean GRUMPY. If he had teeth I would worry about him biting the other greys. He is especially snarly at Colby (our bounced foster). Just now he growled at Noel (who has no fear when she wants a spot on the couch).

I am not used to the new format of GT. But he is also constantly licking his front legs. I had to make him a special fleece coat that covered his legs, because he licked them to the point of scabs. If I have the pj's on he won't lick them but if the pj's are off he will. I also need to mention we have 4 greys of our on and are fostering 2. Colby came back as a bounce. I plan on giving him mommy time over the next few days and we are both going to the dr. Me for stress and him for a check up.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Sheshe

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

Guest Energy11

Sorry your boy is out of sorts. Could be "cabin fever," as mine are bored stiff. We walk them daily, but, sometimes, they are still cranky.

He could also be in pain, and that makes them grumpy and they will go after the others. The licking could be allergies to food, and could also be causing the licking, and grumpines.

Might be worth a vet visit, or at least a call, especially with all that licking.

I would suggest trying Benedryl for the licking, but with the other meds, I'd be sure to ask the vet first. Good Luck with this!

Same thoughts as stated above. Please tell that handsome boy that the president of his fan club wants him to feel better.

Please keep us posted, I think about him all the time and miss seeing pictures of his handsome self

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Cabin fever WILL make them grumpy. Last week during the second blizzard we couldn't get the dogs outside. We'd dig out the walkway and by the time you got to the end you had to dig yourself back into the house. It was drifting back in so fast we just couldn't keep up. Lincoln was VERY grumpy and even attacked Bear for no reason. I was sitting right there and Bear did nothing to provoke Lincoln. No one was hurt except Bears pride. Once we could get the boys out for walks Lincoln is back to his usual sweet self. And the cold has been making the older girls more stiff then usual. Couldn't hurt for a vet visit to put your mind at ease but hopefully once the snow melts and he can get out he'll be back to his normal self. Just tell him spring will be here soon.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

I know this is off topic, but did you see that he won in the Burpdog contest?

I did. I am so proud of him. I think he would bite me if he could for posting that piccy of him but it is sooooo cute.

Sheila
Loved by

Guest SpicyMom

There was an article in the Washington Post Ask the Vet today about a cat that kept licking. The doc cited possible gingivitis and/or other pain as a source for the habit. Assume the same could apply for dogs?

Quote:

Dear Dr. Fox:

My cat is driving me nuts. He is a healthy, neutered 8-year-old.

In December 2008, he had an intestinal blockage and became quite sick; he spent a week at the vet. In January, I noticed that he was more affectionate and had started licking everything. He licks my hair and arms, bed headboard, sofa cushions and even the dog.

K.P.

DF: Your cat's obsessive-compulsive licking can be associated with inflammation and discomfort from gingivitis and inflammatory bowel disease, as well as several other maladies.Follow this rule: Any change in an animal's normal behavior or daily routine calls for a full veterinary checkup.

Shift your cat to a better diet because his food might be at the root of the problem. Many ingredients in manufactured cat foods cause digestive and intestinal problems.

Hi Spicymom thanks for the suggestion. Amadues had all his teeth pulled about 3 years ago. So no worries on teeth problems. I am seriously looking at changing his food.

I have a call into our vet for an appointment.

Spent last night on the couch with him just loving on him and rubbing him. Seemed to enjoy that.

Sheila

Sheila
Loved by