More "are We Sure This Is A Corn?" Photos

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Okay, I emailed my vet about the possibility of Zamm having a corn and she looked up info on the OSU site and said she'd be happy to try hulling if I'd bring him in (so, she has no actual experience.

But, although it does look kind of like the photos, the edges of this whatever it is aren't as defined--I mean it looks like the corn that photo article is just sitting in there--this one seems to, on the side toward the middle of the toe, blend right into the pad. There is no distinct edge. there might almost be one along the outer edge. . .I can kind of find a crack along that side, but Zamm does not enjoy me picking at it.

And, the corn (or whatever it is) is on the edge of his toe--definitely on the pad surface but the outer edge of the pad. I've seen photos of the doggy warts and it doesn't look like that. But it certainly isn't something right now that I can see just popping out of his toe-pad. I feel like the edge of it might extend well past that dark-head-thing. If, like in some of those photos the lighter part is also "corn" this puppy is the size of a third of his toepad :(

I really don't want the vet (or me) digging around hurting him if:

a: it's not a corn

b: it's a corn but not "ready" to be hulled.

So, greytalk corn-gurus. . .enlighten me!! Help!

I"ve been soaking it twice/day for 15 minutes. The pad around gets soft-ish the center stays hard as a rock--and seems to now stick up further than it did.

Here are the photos--these are better than the ones i posted a few days ago--these are with my camera rather than my phone:

post-16536-12662805574503_thumb.jpg

post-16536-12662805435365_thumb.jpg

post-16536-12662805263644_thumb.jpg

post-16536-12662808170809_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look like a corn to me... it looks more like a bruise to me :dunno

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

That doesn't look like a corn to me... it looks more like a bruise to me :dunno

you know it's hard like a ROCK and sticks up a quarter inch. I guess it could be some mega callus with a blood blister underneath (??) It is right where the nail of the next toe could do a "pinch" since he kind of angles his foot when he walks (hock injury--or because this thing, whatever it is) hurts.) I'll tell you, he does KNOT like me messing with that pad. Of course, I've probably made it more sore messing with it (poor baby!).

I'm going to continue soaks and some balm, but stop messing with it otherwise.

Looks like more of a bruise or embedded foreign body to me, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Looks like more of a bruise or embedded foreign body to me, too.

I agree.

Agree here too. The description sounds like a corn but the pictures don't look like a corn. They're usually not that big or spread out like this one.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Mandy had one corn that was that spread out, but didn't look quite like Zamm's. I agree that the pictures look like an embedded foreign body or bruise.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest MnMDogs

3Greys, Check out this link - there are some really good pictures - Grassmere corn hulling

That really doesn't look like any of Mork's corns.

ETA- it does look like a bruise, but what you describe - how he acts when you mess with his toe - makes me think of Mork's toe we just had amputated. It was terribly painful and misshapen. It turned out to be a severe keratoma (I think pretty much is entire toe with calloused/corn...who knows). How long has you pup had that, and has it gotten bigger?

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest FireHorse

Does anyone have a corn picture?

I have no idea what to look for and well.. just want to be educated and aware.

Here's Luke's corn:

2921994323_6a921f4db6_o.gif

Corns are, in general, lighter than the surrounding pad,; sometimes (like Luke's) with a darker spot in the center. I agree with the hivemind-yours looks more like a bruise or embedded something. Do you have thorny plants anywhere he can get to?

Guest SillyIzzysMom
Does anyone have a corn picture?I have no idea what to look for and well.. just want to be educated and aware.
Here's Luke's corn:Corns are, in general, lighter than the surrounding pad,; sometimes (like Luke's) with a darker spot in the center. I agree with the hivemind-yours looks more like a bruise or embedded something. Do you have thorny plants anywhere he can get to?

I think you're all right not a corn. Man, I glad I didn't take him to the vet and let her start digging! Twice a day soaks plus some gentle pushing of the pad around the hard dark spot (thinking to see if it kind of worked loose a little) has made it more sore for him, I think. It is definitely sticking up more, rather than being more flat--that can't feel good!

Who knows what he got into? We have no thorny plants that I know of (and for the most part it's been so gross since he's been here he's been walking on either mud for frozen mud!). But we go for walks every day so who knows? I did suspect that maybe it was a blood blister from being pinched between the adjacent nail and the hard surfaces. . .but today when I (tried) to trace his foot to order a therapaw. . .that wasn't obvious--but there was some resistance to my tracing--I'll look better without a pencil in hand!

I think I'm going to back off, put some antibiotic ointment on it once/day (to make sure my soaking and pushing didn't encourage any nasties to get up in the cracks in the pad and start growing) and I'm ordering him a therapaw for that foot. Heck, for all I know it's his hock that hurts or his hip and not that pad at all--except now I've made it sore. (you can call me the dog-mom who "loved too much". . .haha!)

At some point I'm going to have the vet take a look at that foot--but right now it looks artificially bad (because of me). When it gets back more normal I'll take him in and see if she thinks that it is what's causing the pain.

Thanks so much everybody for your input. GREYTALK ROCKS!!

Guest MyChloe1

Hi, I just signed onto this site and my newest Grey, Monti, has a corn. I have never seen one before but can send you a great article with pictures that shows corns, and even how to remove them. I have had Monti's hulled but it came back really fast. I was told to apply the following: equal parts of Aloe Vera Gel and Bee Propolis (found in capsules at health food stores). You break the capsule and mix it with the Aloe Vera and apply 2X a day with a little round bandage to keep it off your floors. I don't know if your dog has a corn or not but the information I have is from a vet in Potomac Maryland who are experts at corns. I don't know just how to send these articles (with great pictures) to you through this site. If anyone can tell me how to attach a file thru this site, I would be glad to send you this info.

Liz and my greyhounds, Shyla and Monti

I have three greys with corns - this does not look like a corn to me either. My thoughts would be a bruise or a foreign object.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com