One Grey Teaching Another To Eat Poop!

We've had Darcy since December 2006. She's never been interested in eating poop, but does eat grass whenever she has a chance. We've had Bonny since December 2007. She was a poop eater before we got her and has continued to enjoy her treats. :sick

Our area has been hit with a huge snow storm dumping 30+ inches of snow. We've been turing our three greys out in the yard to do their business since walking is simply not an option. We cleared an area in front of the door and the dogs have blazed some paths into the snow. Celeste and Bonny will go on the paths to do their business. Darcy hates the snow and will usually "go" in the cleared area near the door.

Well... we noticed in the past 24 hours that Darcy has taken a liking to eating poop. She even woke me up at 1:30 a.m. to go outside. I let her out and she proceeds to dig in the snow looking for some poop we had flung there. I yelled at her to drop it - which she did. Darcy apparently didn't need to go potty - just woke me up to eat poop.

Is it possible that she learned this behavior from Bonny? Darcy never showed an interest in poop before, but now she's obsessed. :yuck Do you think she is eating it because she can't get to any grass? I'd like to think this behavior will stop once the snow melts, but I'm not feeling very hopeful right now.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I wouldn't hold out any hopes this will stop though I hope it does. One of mine showed no interest in poop until we had the ice and snow and she discovered frozen poopsicles. Now even though they are no longer frozen, she goes searching for any she can find, her own or others in the garden or out on walks. She finds and gobbles quicker than I can shout 'leave it' so I am having to muzzle her every time she goes out of the house.

Sue from England

I'm no behavioriest, but it has been my experience that puppies, and females are worse about this, I think it has to do with "mothers" keeping the welping box clean, and other dog owners have told me this is also worse in the winter, vet has told me this one of 2 things, bordom, and grass eaters, do this due to lack of grass, I have not had this issue with adult dogs, so I am really not experienced with this, Good Luck,

monkey see, monkey do!!! yes, dogs do learn behaviors from each other. poop guards and muzzles....i have heard that meat tenderizer added to their food will help deter their nasty habit. but i did find that constant cleaning and changing food worked the best for one of my dogs. the other had NO MANNERS what so ever and was the ultimate scavanger(true to his breed)....i remember tying my scottie and welsh terrier outside the bagel store in ritzy bronxville, ny. when i returned to them...the scottie was eating the other dog's poop...fresh and hot!!!!nasty...and embarassing.

phene taught treasure to enjoy the delicacy of frozen poop :puke

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:puke Well, I made sure to clear the poop as soon as it hit the ground (actually snow) yesterday. I guess we'll need to buy another poop muzzle. We haven't been using our muzzles lately. Due to the snow, the dogs aren't running around - they are in and out of the house pretty quick. Darcy just turned 9 y/o last Friday. I was hoping she was too old to learn new tricks - guess not. I just hope Celeste doesn't get in on the action too. Celeste doesn't really seem to pay much attention to what her sisters do at least.

Darcy apparently didn't need to go potty - just woke me up to eat poop.

:lol

Yes - I really wanted to kill her for that one.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)