Budesonide- How Much $$$

RobinM

30 capsules= $403.00

I don't think so.

Anyone have any links as to where to purchase?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mcsheltie

Call Wal-Mart and see what their prices are. A brand name of it is Entocort. Ask for a generic. I haven't found prescriptions any cheaper. If they are more reasonable, ask your vet to write you a script. It isn't a prescription drug in many other countries.

Call Wal-Mart and see what their prices are. A brand name of it is Entocort. Ask for a generic. I haven't found prescriptions any cheaper. If they are more reasonable, ask your vet to write you a script. It isn't a prescription drug in many other countries.

this script is for endocort.

Where do I find a compounding pharmacy. Is nothing easy?

Maybe this: My link

Or perhaps a compounding pharmacy?

no link

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest mcsheltie

I don't understand. Endocort is Budesonide.

ETA: Did you mean what you are buying now is Endocort? You can get it in Canada for a little over $1 per 3 mg pill. $35 for 30.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest zoolaine

I got Sunny's Budesonide at a local compounding pharmacy. If I remember correctly it was about $1 a pill, maybe $2 a pill, but no where near $400 for 30

Yes, and I have a script for endocort. 3mg. I found a site in Canada. 3mg- 100 pills generic $60.00. I sent the link to my vet to check out.

Walmart was $365.00

Guest zoolaine

From an earlier post when Xan was looking for Budesonide:

OK from the pharmacy I use for Sunny: $79 for 40 caps 3 mg - he said it was not enteric coated but they add a powder to slow the dissolving. I think he said it usually dissolves in about 20 minutes in the stomach and with the powder it takes about 30-40 minutes.

I can get you the phone number if you would like. I have a friend that works there and they are really nice to deal with.

Edited by zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Yes, and I have a script for endocort. 3mg. I found a site in Canada. 3mg- 100 pills generic $60.00. I sent the link to my vet to check out.

Walmart was $365.00

Maybe I am just paranoid but I would be afraid of a Canadian pharmacy. I love Canada but I know a human that gets medicine from a Canadian pharmacy but the drugs are actually imported into Canada form India! That makes me nervous.

Guest mcsheltie

Walmart was $365.00

If that doesn't pan out try this one - link I've ordered thru them before. No generic in the US?

We get our budesonide from a compounding pharmacy in the 2 mg. dose:

Roadrunner Pharmacy, Phoenix, AZ (877)518-4589.

Seems like 30 capsules is about $36. They overnight your first order at no charge!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We get our budesonide from a compounding pharmacy in the 2 mg. dose:

Roadrunner Pharmacy, Phoenix, AZ (877)518-4589.

Seems like 30 capsules is about $36. They overnight your first order at no charge!

Does the vet need to send it there or will they deal with the public? I sent an email and it said if it's a question about pricing, go through your vet. My vet is not on their list.

I emailed them anyway explaining what I needed.

Thanks.

My memory is not always my strongest feature. But as I recall, our vet phoned or faxed the script to them, and subsequent ordering of refills (which the vet provided for, for a year) is done by me. They always send it out right away too.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Entocort (note the spelling- I don't want anyone's dog getting some weird drug that happens to be named Endocort) is under patent for a specific type of release, which is called Entocort EC. The price discrepancy is presumably due to the patent; compounding pharmacies work around the patent, while out-of-country pharmacies don't need to worry about that- they're either under government price protections, or you don't get the enteric coated stuff. There's also Budenofalk, which is (from what little I know) equivalent to Entocort EC.

This is one of the downsides to patent protection, obviously. We end up paying a boatload more for a relatively inexpensive drug that is re-packaged with some sort of coating that's cheap enough to do- but the patent allows them to charge pretty much whatever they want to. Ampyra, produced for folks with MS, is 4-MP, a chemical so cheap it's sold as an avicide, i.e.: to poison undesirable birds. Slap a time-released coating on it, and it goes from $60-some a month to over $1000 because of that patent.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Entocort (note the spelling- I don't want anyone's dog getting some weird drug that happens to be named Endocort) is under patent for a specific type of release, which is called Entocort EC. The price discrepancy is presumably due to the patent; compounding pharmacies work around the patent, while out-of-country pharmacies don't need to worry about that- they're either under government price protections, or you don't get the enteric coated stuff. There's also Budenofalk, which is (from what little I know) equivalent to Entocort EC.

This is one of the downsides to patent protection, obviously. We end up paying a boatload more for a relatively inexpensive drug that is re-packaged with some sort of coating that's cheap enough to do- but the patent allows them to charge pretty much whatever they want to. Ampyra, produced for folks with MS, is 4-MP, a chemical so cheap it's sold as an avicide, i.e.: to poison undesirable birds. Slap a time-released coating on it, and it goes from $60-some a month to over $1000 because of that patent.

Thanks AJ- My ttping here said endocort, my correspondance said ENTocort. I made a mental note about that difference too.

Guest LindsaySF

Have you tried Costco? Some meds they can get at cheap prices, some not.

That RoadRunner Pharmacy price sounds like the best you'll get though.

Walmart was $365.00

Maybe I am just paranoid but I would be afraid of a Canadian pharmacy. I love Canada but I know a human that gets medicine from a Canadian pharmacy but the drugs are actually imported into Canada form India! That makes me nervous.

What?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

What?

Entocort EC is made in Sweden, FWIW.

Antibiotics are commonly used in plant tissue culture; my suppler informs me that nobody in the US makes them anymore- except perhaps the extremely high-end, still-under-patent stuff. They have to buy them all from China.

What do you think happens to all those Chinese and Indian and Pakistani graduate students in American schools? They go back home and work as chemists, chemical engineers, etc., and crank out the same pills that the Western countries do. Provided somewhere someone along the lines someone runs them through qual checks to make sure they're not 50% melamine, it really doesn't matter: you're going to be taking foreign-produced drugs at some point in time. Heck, pretty much ALL your vitamins are made in China these days.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I am going to buy it here and then probably get it from Road Runner.

http://www.canadapharmacy.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product/name/Entocort.Budesonide/product_id/1506.htm

My impression from Xan is that it takes a bit of time to get it from Canada, Robin. I'd be happy to express you somme to tide you over, but all I have now is the 3 mg strength, which we split to give him 1-1/2 mg now. If you're going for the 2 mg, Roadrunner will be just as fast as I could be.

Your vet not being on their list probably just means s/he hasn't dealt with them before. Getting on the list is probably as simple as phoning/faxing the rx. (But my vet had already dealt with them, so I dont really know if it's a big deal or not.)

Just PM me if there's anything I can do. I OWE you one anyhow! wink.gif