Dear Sherman

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Dear Sherman,

I am happy to see that you are your same old self, eating, playing, and still the occasional in-the-house-zommies, but you are scaring me.

You developed a lump on your chest which the vet feels is benign, however it is growing. It looked like a bug bite at first, but it grew larger. I noticed last night, you have developed a second lump about 1 cm from the first lump. Your first lump has grown to 1 cm in diameter, and the second is 1/2 cm. The vet feels that they are benign, but the growth of the second one scares me. I do not know what to do.

I am glad you are still eating, but you are getting too skinny. I know you want to look slim and trim, but this is ridiculous. You've dropped 4 lbs in 2 months, but I think you've dropped more since your last weigh in. You do not look emaciated, but I see a big difference. I know you love the extra wet food we give you, but is this your way of asking for yummy treats such as hamburger and rice?

Sherman, you are my heart dog. You were my first. You were pitch black, young and a drooling farting, scared big boy when we met. You were so quiet. You've blossomed here in our home, you're goofy personality has come out, and you are just too adorable. Your fur is so soft, everyone comments on it, and how much of a great dog you are. Everyone loves you. As you have grown older, the grey fur just makes you more handsome. 9 is really not that old Sherman, you've got to stop with the lumps and weight loss, since you are breaking me heart.

Sherman, I love you very much, and cannot imagine a life without you. You make my day, and I always know after a good day or a bad day, you will greet me when I come home with such exuberance, and your nuzzles make everything better. I love your coffee table rounds with Patton. Both of you crack me up when you simply circle the coffee table while we are on the sofa, stopping to be pet. You're a silly, goofy boy, Sherman, and I cannot imagine life without you.

Let's stop with growing any more lumps, and stop the existing ones from going, and let's gain some more weight, ok?

I love you my heart dog,

Mom

Guest Energy11

I am sorry to hear about Sherman! I would DEFINITELY have the vet biospy those lumps, then, you'd know for sure, they are benign. Could be fatty tumors. I would also get blood work done, as the weight loss concerns me, and you, too.

Sending you two love and prayers! Dee and The Five

Guest Shermanator

His last blood work was in the beginning of Dec, where we found his thyroid was super low. He had blood work done last week to check the thyroid, and everything was good.

I am hesitant to biopsy him, since all his behavior and habits are normal, no change in eating, drinking, demeanor, or playfulness. I do not want to put him through something unnecessary. Also, we have made the decision to move to palliative care if we determine there is cancer, or some type of terminal illness. I simply do not want to put him through surgery, the lumps are directly on his chest, and my super-savvy greyhound vet in Phoenix firmly believes they are benign. I trust this vet, he was once the track vet for Phoenix, and is very highly regarded.

I'm just a little stressed over the second lump, and facing his mortality. :(

Guest Energy11

bet they could do a fine needle aspirate right at your vets and that is no anesthesia.

I too, believe in pallative care only for cancer, so I DO know where you are coming from. I think a fine needle aspiration might be a good idea, though. I just had one done on a new lump Goldie has on her hind thigh, and it was negative. She didn't even flinch when Dr. Karen did it.

You follow your heart, your "gut," and I am sure things will turn out okay!

Sending lots of love and prayers! Dee and The Five

Guest Shermanator

bet they could do a fine needle aspirate right at your vets and that is no anesthesia.

I too, believe in pallative care only for cancer, so I DO know where you are coming from. I think a fine needle aspiration might be a good idea, though. I just had one done on a new lump Goldie has on her hind thigh, and it was negative. She didn't even flinch when Dr. Karen did it.

You follow your heart, your "gut," and I am sure things will turn out okay!

Sending lots of love and prayers! Dee and The Five

We did a fine needle aspiration, and it came back inconclusive. There were normal cells, and a small amount of abnormal cells. The reason why it is inconclusive, is that they think the small amount of abnormal cells could be simply from the trauma of him flopping on the ground to lay down, since they are on his chest, right where he hits the ground. :) Sherman is NOT the quintessential graceful greyhound. He's a klutz.

My guy has had two bouts of soft tissue sarcomas. One on his leg and one on his back. While surgery is scary he came home the same day so sort of like a dental. Good news is that they got clean margins so life is good and no need to worry. One was removed when he was 8, the other at the age of nine. Both had negative needle biopsies. He would be in a very different place now at the age of 10 if I hadn't done the surgeries. I'm glad I made the decision and he is here with me today happy and healthy. My very savvy grey vet also thought they were nothing. Just thought I would share my story.

Sending good thoughts to Sherman.

Dante has a mass on his chest where it hits the ground. I was concerned about it. The vet said that it looked like a fat deposit, but that he would be surprised to find any fat on Dante at all. He did a needle biopsy right then and looked at the slide. He was pleased to see nice round fat cells. He supposed that Dante just stored his fat all in one place! Levity aside, it is quite concerning and I hope you find good answers!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:( Sending lots of hugs and light. :bighug:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Shermanator

My guy has had two bouts of soft tissue sarcomas. One on his leg and one on his back. While surgery is scary he came home the same day so sort of like a dental. Good news is that they got clean margins so life is good and no need to worry. One was removed when he was 8, the other at the age of nine. Both had negative needle biopsies. He would be in a very different place now at the age of 10 if I hadn't done the surgeries. I'm glad I made the decision and he is here with me today happy and healthy. My very savvy grey vet also thought they were nothing. Just thought I would share my story.

Sigh. I have been reading A LOT about soft tissue sarcomas as well. The surgery would require the vet to remove both lumps, and wide margins around them? That would be extremely invasive. They are right on his chest, almost where his ribs end, and his tuck starts. That would be extremely invasive - there is not much tissue/skin/fat to remove without hitting his ribs? I cannot and will not do that to him. That's not fair, IMHO, I would rather him life out his life happy and pain free, than put him, through that. I am so happy it worked for you, thank you for sharing. It gives me something to think about, but I cannot do that to my Shermy.

I think the weight loss is his way of begging for hamburgers, hot dogs, and the cat food. Ah hahahahaha. :)

Guest Energy11

Sigh. I have been reading A LOT about soft tissue sarcomas as well. The surgery would require the vet to remove both lumps, and wide margins around them? That would be extremely invasive. They are right on his chest, almost where his ribs end, and his tuck starts. That would be extremely invasive - there is not much tissue/skin/fat to remove without hitting his ribs? I cannot and will not do that to him. That's not fair, IMHO, I would rather him life out his life happy and pain free, than put him, through that. I am so happy it worked for you, thank you for sharing. It gives me something to think about, but I cannot do that to my Shermy.

I think the weight loss is his way of begging for hamburgers, hot dogs, and the cat food. Ah hahahahaha. smile.gif

Wow ... you really DO sound like me, and my feelings on this. Having lost a husband to cancer, and doing ALL of his care, because I could, thank God, ... well, ... I have my convictions, and my beliefs ... BUT, no matter, ... YOU MUST follow your heart, and your "gut," on this! WE (*I am sure WE, being ALL of us here on Greytalk ... ) will be with you 100%,